ddoskocil

Almost A Member
Sep 18, 2009
Menifee, CA, USA
Name
Darren
Boat
22' Clearwater - Goin' Deep
Fun day out with friends and kids. Not much catching, lots of little rockfish and whitefish - I mean little (6-8"). Hit a few deep spots on the south side in 250'. Current was strong, 8-10 oz weights and tiny bits of squid. Lots of little nibbles. Nothing of size all day except 2 nice whitefish, 1 nice red, and my nice sculpin (released). We ended with 10 fish for 2 of us, rest of boat was 2-3 per person. Hit by Avalon to end the day in 100', but sealions ate what little live bait we had (that's where I got the sculpin). The boys were tired from winding to re-bait constantly. Great weather. Drove me nuts when we were close to the island to see a huge yellowtail (probably) boil about 4-500 yards off the side, birds and busting fish going crazy for a few minute, we drove right by - totally almost cried that I wasn't on my boat... Crew was decent, food was good. Captain was pretty rude when I tried to talk to him about yellows and flylining or iron fishing. Like I was an idiot for asking or he didn't have the time. Next time, my boat, local rockfishing....Kids and friends had fun though.
Goin' Deep

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
Groupon boat. thats what happens. sucks. I'd rather pay more now and go on another boat that doesn't do groupons. easier for the captain to just sit on a rock and fish 300 feet for micro rockfish and then the crew is all astonished when you don't want to keep micro fish or sand dabs because they want to make money charging you to fillet something that's not even half the size of the knife blade. I agree take your own boat and the kids will have much more fun!

Reactions: ddoskocil
Upvote 0

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
BS. Not cool for the captain to have attitude like that

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
What's really crazy is that there are plenty of decent rockfish spots around the island where you can still get quality rockfish..

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Most of these boats have a specific set of locations they'll hit, and if there's fish there, cool, if not, who cares? They don't go out looking for new areas and they certainly won't waste gas going further than they normally do to put people on fish. The areas around the island that have quality rock fish are not in that set, and indeed, they have quality rock fish BECAUSE it's not in their set.

Be glad for it and just feel sorry for the 80 people fishing on these boats. Because trust me, most of those guys are not having fun when the boat is that full, and will end up never going again.

If you want quality rock fishing experience and don't have a boat, hit up the Channel Islands boats and pay for the longer trips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
If they fish better spots they catch more legal fish to be filleted...

Legal rockfish that are 3 inches long cost the same to fillet as rockfish that are 15" long. park in one spot, load up on micro rockfish, and collect the fillet money from 80 - 90 groupon users.

most of the people go home with a limit of rockfish fillets that fit in a sandwich bag (with room to spare)

Last edited:
Reactions: lynndeva
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
F,d up cattle boats

I could not agree more Jim!

Years back when my boat was in the shop, I broke down and rode one of those big wooden platforms, loaded with live squid, and they kept telling me "we're not using the live-stuff until we find fish", well we never found fish! And as I hopped off at the end of the day told'em they were a joke.

Upvote 0

striper30

Nov 23, 2011
Brea, ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Precision 28
Off topic a bit.....I wouldn't lump all cattle boats in this category from now on. I hailed the TRITON the day before your trip just to let him know that I potentially had spotted one of his or GAIL FORCE hoop nets from the night before ( we were hooping about a 1/4 mile from him or so) and we saw it floating - so we called him to do the right thing (look out for each other).

Well, about 10 minutes later, he pulls up - acknowledges us, tells us thanks, exchanged pleasantries about the crawl, AND TOSSED US A SIX PACK OF BEER!

MUCH RESPECT TO THE TRITON AND CREW for going out of the way to be cool and make our day! We had been on the water for 2 nights and it was nice to know we were not completely alone.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
We went out on the Freelance this past weekend..my son wanted to fish with some friends who were already set-up to go so against my better judgement..we went...ugh....Groupon=large group-on the boat. Only 2 deckhands for 75-80 people is nowhere near enough and the deckhands told us to blame it on the groupon rate for only have 2 of them. We got a late start because a passenger insist that the other members of her clan needed to come with her..we shouldn't have had to wait on them.... The boat's bathrooms need cleaning (a little bleach goes a long way) the toilet on one side of the boat was overflowing, no soap to wash your hands. The captain was sort of a jerk, but I guess when dealing with 75-90 tanglers on his boat day after day tends to make him that way? still making money though and he should be more courteous. Not a lot of fish caught, unless you count the tiny rockfish caught and released. Weekends cost you more with your groupon (figure on adding about $20 more than your purchased groupon) if you lose your weight/sinker out there it will cost you $5 each and with all the tangles and line being cut? bring more sinkers and hooks or you pay the high-sea's rate. Not hardly any live bait except a few dozen or so passed over to them from the Thunderbird at the docks so we were stuck with squid strips that were cooked to a pink color by mid-day so we felt like we were sticking our hands into a hot soup bowl to get a few strips when I needed to re-bait and apparently the fish we were trying to catch weren't impressed either. The cook fried some chorizo for himself and the deckhands on the way in from fishing and it was eye-watering and horrid...so you sit inside and get smoked but or stand outside and freeze while you get hosed down with water while they sprayed the deck.. One couple had their lines cut so many times that they didn't have enough line left to fish the last 2 stops....giant cluster. Never again.

If you dare to go on this group-on cluster, go buy some 6 and 8 oz eights and sell them for $4 a piece LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
This is more what I expected..

as opposed to this...
There were more people than not keeping tiny little rockfish..we released everything my son caught except for one decent size one that somehow got stolen out of our sack LOL pretty bad when someone steals a small rockfish...

Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
yeah, i see them pound the same little tiny reef spots for cod EVERY day with these giant loads of people… it's pretty sad. these small reefs can't sustain that kind of pressure. check out how old a 6 lb vermillion is (maybe 30 or 40 years according to dfg info) , and you get an idea why the rocks can't take that pressure over and over and over. I know they are trying to run a business, but sounds like customers are bummed, crew is bummed, captain bummed and decimating fish populations. doesn't sound like a winning combo.

Reactions: lynndeva
Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
They can't devastate rock fish populations by hitting the same rock over and over again. They can only devastate that rock, which they have done, and that's why they can't pull quality out of there any more. You should be happy that they're not going out to find more rock fish elsewhere, as the people they are screwing over are actually their customers, which is who you should feel sorry for.

Rock fish are probably happy that these boats only ever hit the same few rocks. They get the rest of the ocean to play around in.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
yeah, i see them pound the same little tiny reef spots for cod EVERY day with these giant loads of people… it's pretty sad. these small reefs can't sustain that kind of pressure. check out how old a 6 lb vermillion is (maybe 30 or 40 years according to dfg info) , and you get an idea why the rocks can't take that pressure over and over and over. I know they are trying to run a business, but sounds like customers are bummed, crew is bummed, captain bummed and decimating fish populations. doesn't sound like a winning combo.
exactly

My son came and got me and told me that some guy caught a tiny halibut and was using it for bait..I'm like really? lets go investigate this...sure enough, I see him at the back with this tiny 7" or so halibut dangling out of the water while we motor over to the next stop..I already had my pliers out of my pocket when I got to him and I said, here, I'll get that off for you and he yells at me "no I'm using it for bait" and said nope, not today..I reach down and grab it and take it off and release it and walk away..he was pissed but I didn't give a shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
They can't devastate rock fish populations by hitting the same rock over and over again. They can only devastate that rock, which they have done, and that's why they can't pull quality out of there any more. You should be happy that they're not going out to find more rock fish elsewhere, as the people they are screwing over are actually their customers, which is who you should feel sorry for.

Rock fish are probably happy that these boats only ever hit the same few rocks. They get the rest of the ocean to play around in.

yeah, they can, and do… 'population - 'as in 'what's the population of long beach?' - does not mean 'how many people are there in the entire world?'

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
yeah, they can, and do… 'population - 'as in 'what's the population of long beach?' - does not mean 'how many people are there in the entire world?'

Rock fish move around. It's a myth that they do not. If they stopped hitting that rock for a few years, it'll be full of quality rock fish again. I'm not worried about a few party boat locations being devastated. Neither is Fish and Game.

Captains that are skilled at what they're doing, that move around to find fish, kill much more fish than captains of boats like these.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
I went on a Newport cattle boat once when I was 10 or so. They lost a customer for the next 40 years or so.

Groupon how sad is that game.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Nearshore-Finfish

but hey, what do these 'scientists' and 'marine biologists' really know about the ocean? (note many rockfish species not moving more than a meter or so from where they are settled).

First fish in the link:
Larval black rockfish are pelagic. Young-of-the-year (approximately 1.5 in.) settle nearshore, generally in the shallower portions of the kelp beds (15 to 40 ft) where they frequent the sand-rock interface, seagrass beds, kelp canopy, midwater column and high-relief rock. They have also been found on artificial reefs, and in bays, estuaries and tide pools.

Adults inhabit the midwater and pelagic areas over high-relief rocky reefs. They are found in and around kelp beds, boulder fields and artificial reefs.

Doesn't sound like a fish that doesn't move around to me.

Almost all the popular species of rock fish that people target move around a lot as baby fish. Yes, once they settle, they move around less, but many of these species also have a habit by which older fish move into deeper water. The combination of these is what produces what you see out there in the wild - that a rock empty of rock fish one day, suddenly has rock fish the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishin_kid
Upvote 0