SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Pushed out of the slip at 7 grabbed 2 of the best scoops of bait I've had all year. Not one piece rolled all day. All were cured and firey. Followed a temp break south found a nice size patty a mile south of San Salvador knoll filled to the brim with as many YT as you wanted. Turned to YF off the patty. These weren't football sized. They were 25-30lb with 2 stand out models at 35lbs bled (thought they were BF at first glance) . Best grade of YF I've seen all year. These weren't 15lb fishing tails. But legit 25-30lb YF limits for three and back at the slip by 4. All fish were weighted at the processor so not to report false numbers. Through back SO MANY YT, a few big bonito that passed by and one skippy went back. Water was 66-67degrees clear blue. Fish bit #1 circle or J's 20-40lb line. Had a #1/0 circle hook straightened after something took it and steemrolled me straight down. Was On my way to getting spooled before it pulled straight...(that hurts the brain🤦‍♂️) anyways it was a great day of catching.It's about time to switch over to Bf.. here we come!! (43 I hear 😉)
Had a few whales pass within yards of the boat for an awesome show towards the end👍🏼👍🏼
Cheers, they're out there!!

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Excellent work!! gonna try one last time this week.
Where headed out for another shot on Tuesday or Wednesday . If you want to BB out there. 72 boats called "sea chaser" or possibly taking out the tuna boat "la gorilla" I'll let you know!
Thanks for the great report..... Wonder what straighten'd your hook? Big eye perhaps?
I don't know felt like tuna but big tuna. Was fishing a pro gear v50 packed full of braid, and it brought me down into the bottom quarter of the spool. Before it popped. The worst part was it WAS slowing down. Then with what felt like it's last burst of its first run it popped. And the drag was set for a bit higher for the larger YF. I would LOVE TO KNOW what it was. I'm thinking big BF. But 🤷🏼‍♂️

Upvote 0

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
  • Dec 15, 2008
    Menifee
    Name
    Scoot
    Boat
    18’ CC Baja
    Hook manufacturer? Amazes me hook will straighten out before line breaks!! Had a couple stock Mustads do it, very frustrating.

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Bone structure....angles.... and just the right pressure at the most inopportune time.... will straighten any manufacturers hook brothers. There are sooooo many factors.

We all know a "full" reel ....when setting your drag.... on the rod....is one thing. But at 1/4 spool left.... drag tension has increased considerably.... on the hook end of the equation. (50% increase on some reels). That's just the reel tension.

When you also consider the line "drag" through the water... behind the fish.... it's easy for the "total" tension on the hook to be considerably more, than it can handle.

Mono/Spectra size (dia) can cause more or less drag (friction) on the line being drug through the water....behind the fish. Heat.... line stretch? Who knows. The hook holds many answers... upon closer inspection as well.

I guess my point is this.... write this one off.... but know many things you could control.... could have contributed to that lost fish/hook failure. Or not. We'll never know. Each experience.... is a."learning" opportunity. Just make sure you look at everything.

Great post. Glad you guys got quality and quantity. Let us know who you do this week for sure brother. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Hophead

When’s the next trip
    Jun 26, 2004
    san diego
    Name
    ryan
    Boat
    22’ Seaway
    Where headed out for another shot on Tuesday or Wednesday . If you want to BB out there. 72 boats called "sea chaser" or possibly taking out the tuna boat "la gorilla" I'll let you know!

I don't know felt like tuna but big tuna. Was fishing a pro gear v50 packed full of braid, and it brought me down into the bottom quarter of the spool. Before it popped. The worst part was it WAS slowing down. Then with what felt like it's last burst of its first run it popped. And the drag was set for a bit higher for the larger YF. I would LOVE TO KNOW what it was. I'm thinking big BF. But 🤷🏼‍♂️
    I’m headed out Tuesday as well. PM me if you want to game plan.

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
    Redlands
    Name
    The Grays
    Boat
    2021 Parker 2320
    Incredible report, thanks for sharing and congratulations!!!!

Upvote 0