sea4reel

water taxi
Sep 2, 2009
Fountain Valley
Name
Tim Jarrett
Boat
25' Custom Surfhunter
Decided to go hooping in Long Beach Harbor last night with a few friends. Hooping was on the slow side tonight but it's alway fun getting out on the water with friends. First set goes in about half hour before sunset in 25-30 feet of water. We let them soak for about an hour. Start pulling nets and the third one has a nice size bug in it. I start thinking to myself we're going to have a good night. Reset the gear on the our spot and give them 30 minutes soak time for nada. I decided to re bait the bait tubes and reset the gear in the same area. After another 30 minute soak we pull the nets for another 0. at this point we decided to make a move. So we moved out to a little deeper about 50 feet deep for 2 more sets for a few very small crabs and anot aquarium size spotted bay bass. At this point we decided to head back the the first spot of the night to finish off the trip. Ended up getting 1 more legal bug and decided to call it a night at midnight. We used fresh mackerel and fished between 25 and 50 feet. Hope you guys out there hooping are doing better this year than I am.
Tim

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Not much better up here....saw commercial guy pulling empty traps today when I was slaying calico and sand bass around 1 mile.

Reactions: FloMar
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
it's been a deep water season

and in areas the commercial guys can't fish.....

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
These are my opinions.

There's plenty of Lobsters, all I'm going to say.
What the coast needs is that first wicked/SNOTTY storm for a few days.
This will dislodge the Lobsters that are either molting and/or hunkered down.
The flood-gates will then open!

For those of you that know some divers, I'd offer to take them out one-day, yes daytime.
Take them to the places you feel there are no lobsters.
I believe you'll be very happy to hear'em lobsters are there.
And if you get really lucky your diver just might come up with the jackpot.

Good Luck!

As you stated, you got out with friends, that's always good!

Upvote 0

sea4reel

water taxi
Sep 2, 2009
Fountain Valley
Name
Tim Jarrett
Boat
25' Custom Surfhunter
I agree with you Flomar I'm sure there are plenty of bugs out there waiting to be caught and they just aren't in crawl mode right now. Plus as we all know as fisherman every trip will yield a different result. My definition of a good trip is everybody made it back to the dock safely on the boat we left on. It might sound silly to some but as we see every year there are people and/or boats that never make it back to the dock.

Upvote 0