neue

Captain
Sep 17, 2010
Irvine, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Sporties
My son, Max, and I fished hard for halibut this weekend. On Friday, Max fished in the Dana Wharf halibut derby (he got 2 shorts; no keepers were caught on the trip). I got a 10.5lber last weekend in the derby, and we're going again next weekend.

On Saturday, we spent most of our time drifting near Salt Creek and Three Arch Bay. I had one big one that came unhooked, and Max managed a short halibut. We watched the sunset, and fished until dark.

On Sunday, we decided to continue to work on our halibut fishing skills. The bait barge was completely out of bait, and wasn't expecting more until the afternoon, so we headed to the pipe and the point (near the red buoy) to catch some mackerel for bait. The mackerel were big, but there were a few medium sized ones in the mix. We headed to the hard bottom area off of Salt Creek to drift (depth was about 100ft). On the first drift, I used one of the giant mackerel with a 6/0 hook (16oz weight), and quickly hooked up with a big halibut. Got it about half way to the boat, and it bit through my line. On the second drift, I got another great bite, and as it was coming up, it let go of the bait (wasn't hooked, just holding on, and the big mackerel was ripped apart). We ended up hooking 5 big halibut each (had 2 bite through my 40lb line), but only Max got his to the boat. He ended up with 2 keepers, a 22lber and a 13lber. At the boat dock, we ran into some nice guys who just returned from San Clemente Island (fellow BDer -- thanks, Mike!), and we traded a halibut for a yellowfin tuna. We had a nice seared ahi dinner, and we're having tuna burgers and halibut tacos later in the week.

DSC03722-pab.jpg
DSC03738-pab.jpg
DSC03721-pab.jpg

Upvote 0

Fisha

skipper
Aug 3, 2006
Orange
Name
Dave
Boat
24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
Nice report and nice fish!

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice job by your son! :appl:
Hope you traded the runt of the 2 for the YFT?
Appreciate all the info, nice job indeed!!

Upvote 0

velom

Jul 7, 2016
socal
Name
Mike Velose
Boat
Triton
Yes great job. You guys will be dialed in next run. IMHO 90% is just knowing where to look and sounds like you were right on top. Those doormats don't stand a chance next round! Thanks for the trade.

Upvote 0