PENN

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
This is our first season hooping, and we have only been inside the harbor. In our first four trips we have gotten 2,1,1, and 0. We have yet to get a short, is that unusual? With nothing to gauge it by, my impression is that every now and then we are just “hitting one on the head” about once a night. It seems like fantasy that you could catch very many in one night, however, we could just be in the right spot at the wrong time, or vice versa, to account for our sparing results. This is just an observation and not a complaint, because hooping is really cool, and the lobster is just the cherry on top of the cake. When I’m out there I just wish I could establish some type of pattern, but with just one or so a night, it’s just random. i have never put the net back down in the same area and got another one, or had more than one lobster in a net at a time, no “crawl”for me. I guess all I can find are the lone rangers in the harbor🤣.

Anyway, we went out on Veterans Day around 3:00 PM to try and catch fresh mackerel for our tubes prior to the evening’s activities so we wouldn’t question whether our bait was fresh enough. Mission accomplished as we were able to stuff our tubes with new bait. We were also fishing with almost no moon, on an incoming tide, hopefully tipping the scale in our favor as much as possible against those wily crustaceans.

Our results were basically the same as our previous 4 trips. We got one nice sized lobster on our 35th pull. (So glad we persevered and did a 4th set, which we were unable to do on the previous trip when we got skunked). It just made a beautiful night that much nicer!

E3A0C23B-0EF7-469B-8973-7D359A4204BA.jpeg

54D272BE-B6C9-4FB5-BFE3-8D30BCCF99DA.jpeg

0F8C5602-3ABE-465A-AD8A-7C8FC8A0D141.jpeg

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Its been a slow start for us and everyone Ive spoke with, dont give up it gets better as the season changes.

Reactions: mrkrabs
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Definitely better than none, but it is odd that you haven’t gotten any shorts. If you have any shallow rockfish spots, you’ll likely find some bugs there too.

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    Off topic- has anyone told u that u look like Darren till the ufc fighter?

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Kayak
    I had one good night this year but all else have been pretty slow. Hoping we get some good rain in the near future to stir the water up a bit.

I know a couple of guys that are hitting some deep water spots just outta LBC and doing pretty well.

BTW, your lobster gear and set up look legit.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Great set up on the traps-really nice. Stick with it they will start to come.

Upvote 0

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
    Redlands
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    21' Wellcraft CC
    If it's shorts you're looking for,May I suggest Dana point.

Other than that, sounds like your doing it right and you have a good attitude.Very few things are as frustrating as pulling 50 + bugs for zero legals.I had a night there pulling up as many as 8 bugs per hoop which is exciting but frustrating.It's like going to a strip club and getting worked up for nothing...

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    It's never automatic - well some spots are but just a tip - try to find structure areas away from the breakwalls and islands that everyone else hits. There are some decent rockpiles out in the middle of inside LB harbor - just need to find them.

Also - I'm no marine biologist - but I did talk to one about spiny lobster and their feeding patterns. He said they only have to eat like every 7 days or so - if they are full - they just stayed holed up in their cave and never go on the crawl at all.

Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Stick with it! Are you cutting up the bait? How long are you soaking for? Setting before sunset? I did well earlyer in the season, but stopped for a bit. Plugged up on lobsters and salmon! (For now)

Reactions: Fishing Timmy
    Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
    Redlands
    Name
    The Grays
    Boat
    2021 Parker 2320
    Thanks for the report. We caught a bunch at Catalina this year, but mostly shorts. Hopefully the dozens we have thrown back grow really fast so we can get them for Christmas dinner. :-)

Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    It must be your mascot keeping the shorts away as it's usually a buncha shorts to a keeper or two. Keep doin' whatcha doin'.

Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    regarding soak time, we usually do around an hour. it's not that i want to get shorts, but so strange to me that in 5 trips we have never even seen one....

thanks on the traps compliment, i copied another members design and love how they work. no more using a hook to retrieve, super easy to identify from a distance, cheap and easy to make. (i made a couple of small modifications to the original design)

we do cut our bait, then dutifully set them out 1/2 hour before sundown and wait until 1/2 hour after sundown before first checking. (if they are empty do you usually just move on, or re-deploy in same spot??) funny thing for us, we have never gotten a bug on our first or second set, it's always third or forth set. (that has struck me as odd too, but with such a small sample size and so few bugs, i wasn't going to make any sweeping generalizations).

talking about setting up away from the break walls, anybody had any near misses with other boats? maybe i am a bit too paranoid......

that's my son holding the lobster, i'll ask him about Darren the ufc fighter.

as for "cooper" our mascot, you might be right, he can put a hurt on a de-tailed lobster.......

IMG_3469.jpg

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    If it's shorts you're looking for,May I suggest Dana point.

I go about 5 miles south of D P and find a few keepers. There are rocks all over the place to try. I like driving a distance in the black, makes it more exciting and don't have to stress about people being too close or pulling my hoops. It's wide open spots out of DP just need to venture out.

When I came back from my last effort and got 3 keepers, around the harbor was packed. Boats and kayaks; they most likely thin out the keepers from all the pressure of a tight little area.

Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    that's a great point. i think i'm about ready to pull off my training wheels and leave the harbor.

yeah, and talking about leaving the crowds behind, the other night, the only other people i saw hooping, horned right in on us. what's with that?? long beach harbor is huge, and one guy charges right in within two boat lengths of us and starts throwing out his nets....Really? we just left, it's a big harbor and i didn't need the angst.

so we go to another spot, finally get our one bug for the night. my son and i are giddy, high fiving, just being silly, and i guess making enough noise that after we re-deploy our net and continue on to check our other nets in the set, this guy comes over and drops a hoop within 20' of our hoop that got the one bug. unbelievable. i can't imagine what opening night must have been like with a whole harbor full of guys like those two.

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 26, 2005
    Huntington Harbour
    Name
    Hoops
    Boat
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    Stay away from the clowns... I mean crowds and you will do a lot better without any headaches. As mentioned - locate some structure.

Problem with structure out of the harbor is - it's covered in commercial gear now.

Also - Frontside of catalina gets better and better after the opening week nightmare goes away.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Hey at least you got one! I feel like the no-moon is no good for bugging.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    IMG_3469.jpg

COOL DOG! I'd let my pup Bolan "F" that bug up just for shits and giggles.

That collapsing tail could do some damage though. Oh well, she'd get it . . .

Upvote 0

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat
    Reel rage
    Dont eat bugs from L.B L.A. harbor because all the pollution that comes from upstream L.A. San gabriel rivers go down check it out after a big rain.Plus the harbors are a shit hole.Go to Catilina .You don't want to get cancer..

Reactions: kevina and Creeper
    Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
    san diego
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    Fish Taco
    Don't know the area up there. But down here in SD I have pulled 60 shorts for 1 legal in the kelp beds. The bay ratio has been a lot better for me, but some guys do better outside. Last trip I got 10 legals and 3 shorts in the bay, best ever. If I get any bugs in net it goes straight back down. Empty, I'll reset to a different location. Only soak 30 to 45 minutes. Ive had a 1/2lb bonita steak picked clean after an hour soak with no lobs in net so I don't leave them down that long. It's weird that they will crawl like a light switch turned on and stop just as fast. Tide swings probably best times. When you get dialed in, your going to be dangerous- to the lobster population. Nice gear you are running. I would think your numbers should be higher.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Almost A Member
    Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
    My sis in law and I have had the same luck as you. Last year it seemed that we got just as many legals, but with a tremendous amount of bycatch mixed in. Shorts, kellets, fish, shark, rays, 'pus, you name it tagged along. This year, its either scratch or a single legal... Here's hopen it gets better... Unless conditions are totally perfect I cant really venture out in the open -- no ais, no radar, smallish boat.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    We started the season off with limits a week after the opener, then all of a sudden it just went POOF and we were lucky to get shorts. I’ve heard it’s been slow for everyone lately, cat is producing like usual, but locally along the coast it’s pretty slow. We’re going to take a run over to the island this week sometime, hopefully it’s better like everyone says

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Out here now on a solo mission trying to get the skunk off from last night🤨

07BF74F0-472A-4BDB-BB09-2A0DCF8E1084.jpeg

Reactions: jeffkaiser