11/10 report - Horseshoe and Pt Fermin

PENN
Jul 29, 2019
Newport beach
Name
Matt Bush
Boat
Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
New to the area, and new to salt water fishing (grew up bass fishing in MI and spent the last decade plus trout fishing in CO), but I come here multiple times a day so I feel like I should start posting my (so far not so great) reports. Started the day on the east end of horseshoe, caught a few sandies, right around 14 inches. Was windy this am and had my 2 and 4 year old so came back in and tried for halibut just outside LA harbor out from the lighthouse. Drifted for a while, finally hooked into something very large that broke me off within 30 seconds on 30 lb. Bouncing a sardine off the bottom - think large halibut or maybe a thresher? Fun minute or so... finished off the day on kelp line by pt fermin and caught a few more short bass. Will be thinking about the one that got away for a while... Was in about 70 ft of water and had a 3oz weight with a dropper loop.

Probably not that helpful of a report for most, but figure more reports dont hurt. When targeting halibut, is a dropper loop the best setup?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Nice work getting out there and finding a few bass. I'm not a great halibut fisherman myself so idk. When I do target them, I just use a dropper loop set up. However, you can add a stinger or "trap" hook. Basically a 3 or so inch length of spectra that's secured to the hook or eye of the hook which will have another hook attached to it. This way you might increase raked bait to hookup ratios. You have the main hook thru the nose of the bait, or however you hook your bait, and the stinger or trap hook in the back of the sardine or chovie or whatever. So if the halibut grabs on the back half of the bait you still have a shot at the fish.

I know a lot of people get pretty deep into bounce balling and adding hoochies and all kinds of cool stuff with good success but I'm not familiar with that technique. Good luck out there.

Reactions: Matthew R Bush
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2019
Newport beach
Name
Matt Bush
Boat
Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Nice work getting out there and finding a few bass. I'm not a great halibut fisherman myself so idk. When I do target them, I just use a dropper loop set up. However, you can add a stinger or "trap" hook. Basically a 3 or so inch length of spectra that's secured to the hook or eye of the hook which will have another hook attached to it. This way you might increase raked bait to hookup ratios. You have the main hook thru the nose of the bait, or however you hook your bait, and the stinger or trap hook in the back of the sardine or chovie or whatever. So if the halibut grabs on the back half of the bait you still have a shot at the fish.

I know a lot of people get pretty deep into bounce balling and adding hoochies and all kinds of cool stuff with good success but I'm not familiar with that technique. Good luck out there.

Makes a lot of sense. When I pulled up my second line right after, all that was left was the head, so this setup would have likely led to a second hookup. Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Often times seals/sea lions are the culprit when you reel in a bait with only the head left on the hook. They have really good eye site and some how can pull this off repeatedly without getting themselves hooked most of the time. If you find this happens a few baits in a row, you can belly hook your bait. Hook the bait above the anal fin. One thing to note when belly hooking a bait is that the hook will tear out of the bait a lot more easily than hooking thru nose cartilage/bone. Takes a little getting used to when casting belly hooked baits. Also, if fishing belly hooked baits on the bottom with a heavier weight, control the descent of the weight so that it doesn't beat up the bait on the way down.

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
The mystery fish is the tease, the one you want to come back and catch. Great job getting some bass. Next time try a mackerel on a trap hook on 40 and hang on.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
New to the area, and new to salt water fishing (grew up bass fishing in MI and spent the last decade plus trout fishing in CO), but I come here multiple times a day so I feel like I should start posting my (so far not so great) reports. Started the day on the east end of horseshoe, caught a few sandies, right around 14 inches. Was windy this am and had my 2 and 4 year old so came back in and tried for halibut just outside LA harbor out from the lighthouse. Drifted for a while, finally hooked into something very large that broke me off within 30 seconds on 30 lb. Bouncing a sardine off the bottom - think large halibut or maybe a thresher? Fun minute or so... finished off the day on kelp line by pt fermin and caught a few more short bass. Will be thinking about the one that got away for a while... Was in about 70 ft of water and had a 3oz weight with a dropper loop.

Probably not that helpful of a report for most, but figure more reports dont hurt. When targeting halibut, is a dropper loop the best setup?

Do not sell your report short Matt!
99% of reports have something in them benefiting someone/some/most/all.
Great job getting your kids out/involved!
Thank You!

Upvote 0

doug wille

_BigWille
Aug 20, 2017
Santa Monica
Name
doug
Boat
freedom boat club; light load open party where the fish are
Youre way ahead of the game! Keep at it!!!

I bounce ball for buts, but they also eat the bait on the dropper loop, often times while rockfishing (buts live next to structure).

There is really good easy limits of rockfish very close to pt fermin on the banks of the san pedro channel. Meter around the slopes of the canyon and drop a rockfish rig with a triangular strip of bait and its pretty instant. We use the shiny skin from our pelagic game fish on a double dropper loop. They love it. Sometimes we add a red crab or glow squid skirt above the hook plus the pelagic skin and get the bigger models and large sand dabs...delicious white meat!

Upvote 0