PENN

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
SoCal Native never been to Catalina and finally made the journey with a buddy Friday. Clean water with water temp at 64. I looked for any fishing boats but didnt see any coming in so turned left and headed over to back side (South East?) Again only boat out there some some boilers and hung out and low and behold fish on! My first yellow and bonito on my boat! Total score 1 YT 5 Bonita. The fish were definitely line shy as I hooked up a few on 20lb flouro with 2 and 4 hook. But fun part was when I broke out my bass rod with 15lb flouro and caught 3 Bonito. Bite died when the seals came around and scattered the fish.

tuna.jpeg

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    SoCal Native never been to Catalina and finally made the journey with a buddy Friday. Clean water with water temp at 64. I looked for any fishing boats but didnt see any coming in so turned left and headed over to back side (South East?) Again only boat out there some some boilers and hung out and low and behold fish on! My first yellow and bonito on my boat! Total score 1 YT 5 Bonita. The fish were definitely line shy as I hooked up a few on 20lb flouro with 2 and 4 hook. But fun part was when I broke out my bass rod with 15lb flouro and caught 3 Bonito. Bite died when the seals came around and scattered the fish.

View attachment 1084910

So amazing. I remember my first time there on my boat and I kept saying "I can't believe I'm at Catalina".

Make a few more trips and you'll note how "easy" it is, provided you plan accordingly.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Hit the backside with my young nephews and my brother today. Went three for six on the yellows, seal gotten one of them two of them made it to the Kelp. Good trip overall really fun watching the 10 and 12-year-old catch yellow tail. Hopefully they stick around for a week or two I can get some more.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
    Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Hit the backside with my young nephews and my brother today. Went three for six on the yellows, seal gotten one of them two of them made it to the Kelp. Good trip overall really fun watching the 10 and 12-year-old catch yellow tail. Hopefully they stick around for a week or two I can get some more.

What did you guys use? Close to the island or farther off?

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Sardines. They were 6-7”, nacho said they had been cured a week since no one had been fishing during the high winds. We had zero dead ones in the tank at the end of the day.

All rods were 25# flouro and size 1 circle hooks.

We fished salta verde, Freddie’s @ 65-70’. Orange rocks had perfect conditions, but there were 3 seals on it as soon as we set up.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great job!

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    So amazing. I remember my first time there on my boat and I kept saying "I can't believe I'm at Catalina".

Make a few more trips and you'll note how "easy" it is, provided you plan accordingly.

Yeah I remember getting the boat back in June saying IM going to hit the Cat. Even posted up on here for a buddy boat but after chatting with a few here, I got the balls to say "go". I mean thats what seatow is for right! If Tuna are still biting this Saturday Im heading back out for another round.

Upvote 0