RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
Jul 10, 2012
Bellingham, WA
Name
Phil
Boat
Wellcraft 252 Coastal
Anyone know if we need to bother with weighing spot prawns or can we just still count to 80?
I have never weighed so wondering what the average weight of 80 is

Daily limit of 10 pounds
, heads and tails, of all shrimp species combined (maximum of 80 spot shrimp, if open for spot shrimp).

Salmon King

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I always interpreted as 80 spots and 10lbs for any other species. You won’t hit 10# anyway. I pop heads at sea, and a 1oz tail is a big prawn.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Just count to 80 for Spots. If you keep any other type as well, your 80 spots (with heads) count toward the total 10-lb limit.

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Another reminder, since most of our shrimp dates are AFTER June 1 this year

Copied from DFW website:

June 1 through October 15:

DAILY LIMIT OF 10 POUNDS, heads and tails, of all shrimp species combined (maximum of 80 spot shrimp - if open for spot shrimp).
Shrimp heads may be removed, but must be retained while in the field, until ashore and finished fishing for the day.

We still de-head and bag the individual limits, but throw all the heads in a bucket, which we dump after we re-trailer the boat.

kenzmad

Jan 18, 2011
kent,wa
www.jamiesseptic.com
Name
jamie
Boat
nwj 218 lightning
Hmm. Quick google search says spot prawns can weigh up to .26 lb head and all. That would mean 80 spots could be 20+ lbs. thats a bit over the 10lbs allowed. Hmmm, sneaky

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Another reminder, since most of our shrimp dates are AFTER June 1 this year

Copied from DFW website:

June 1 through October 15:

DAILY LIMIT OF 10 POUNDS, heads and tails, of all shrimp species combined (maximum of 80 spot shrimp - if open for spot shrimp).
Shrimp heads may be removed, but must be retained while in the field, until ashore and finished fishing for the day.

We still de-head and bag the individual limits, but throw all the heads in a bucket, which we dump after we re-trailer the boat.
Wait what?...the F....

guess I’ve rolled dirty in the past. I’ve always tossed heads And I’m pretty sure I’ve shrimped in June before. What am I supposed to do if I go back to back days? Keep heads or once processed form...I’m ok without the heads?

Reactions: liltrouble

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Wait what?...the F....

guess I’ve rolled dirty in the past. I’ve always tossed heads And I’m pretty sure I’ve shrimped in June before. What am I supposed to do if I go back to back days? Keep heads or once processed form...I’m ok without the heads?
The suggestion I’ve read in the past was to take a photo of your processed and properly labeled catch at the end of the first day. Then you should be ok for the next day. Ideally you’d leave the first days catch in a cooler in the truck, if possible. I’ve had an enforcement officer tell me that it doesn’t apply to Spots, but that’s not how it reads. I’m just tryin to CMA in-case I get checked by a cop with a different opinion.

It’s common to have cops from different regions come help enforce on shrimp days, and they’re not always as familiar with the rules as the local guy. - We had an officer screaming at us one day for flinging flies at sea run cutts (C&R) on the canal while our pots were soaking.... He was certain we were in violation, we were certain we were good, (we were) but neither of us had a copy of the regs with us at the time.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Remind me again why I own a boat
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Back to back days on the boat they better be frozen or cooked to meet the definition of processed. Heads popped of and in a ziplock on ice does not qualify

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
From the regs...
”One daily limit in fresh form. Any additional shellfish in possession must be in a frozen or processed form that clearly distinguishes them from that day’s limit.”

and I’m not being an ass...serious because the plan was to stay on the boat and shrimp for a couple days up north and head back home.

can processed be labeled and in bags. Packed hard on ice? I have a refrigerator but not sure if it will get cold enough to freeze. Pretty easy to tell the difference in day old shrimp Vs same day shrimp.

Wild Bill

Remind me again why I own a boat
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Rock salt and ice slurry are your friend on the boat. It will turn prawns rock hard in no time. Again just on ice does not meet the definition of frozen if the are not frozen hard. Additional limits from previous days must be frozen or processed. Processed is defined as being subjected to heat.

Last edited:

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Just put them in your fridge and don't stress about it. Technically you have living quarters on the boat which allows you a higher expectation of privacy and more leeway in situations like this. If your really freaked about it bring small Tupperware containers and seperate the shrimp into meal size portions and label the containers with a sharpie.

Reactions: Captain Decent

RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
Jul 10, 2012
Bellingham, WA
Name
Phil
Boat
Wellcraft 252 Coastal
Well for my couple hour evening attempt I counted and didn't weigh, but only got to count to 136 so not having to worry about being overweight! (at least as far as for shrimp goes)
I did de-head on water and tossed, so I guess I better keep those until port. Not sure dumping at ramp is good if we all did that though, would be better left out where it came from, but then regs aren't made for making sense

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
From the regs...
”One daily limit in fresh form. Any additional shellfish in possession must be in a frozen or processed form that clearly distinguishes them from that day’s limit.”

and I’m not being an ass...serious because the plan was to stay on the boat and shrimp for a couple days up north and head back home.

can processed be labeled and in bags. Packed hard on ice? I have a refrigerator but not sure if it will get cold enough to freeze. Pretty easy to tell the difference in day old shrimp Vs same day shrimp.
salt + ice=frozen shrimp. experiment at home, it will work

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Wait what?...the F....

Same here... not popping heads between pulls will give us too much time to drink. I know I have pulled and cleaned in the field in June but I guess not this time .

The Peddler

May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Same here... not popping heads between pulls will give us too much time to drink. I know I have pulled and cleaned in the field in June but I guess not this time .
Technically it’s been a rule for at-least the 15 years or-so that I’ve been shrimping. I believe it’s a remnant of a time when there was a minimum size after June 1 is some areas. (San Juan’s is where I experienced this.)

You can still pop the heads in the field, but instead of pitching overboard, keep them in a bucket until you’re back at the dock.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Again. Makes me crazy because all I’ve ever hear was ghat our catch needed to be counted and separate. In a different time I was told you can’t put them in a bait tank until You clean them because the catch wasn’t separate.

So I guess now I pop heads And run A separate bucket for each person for the heads...and then run another separate bag for each person’s tails.

Next They’ll ask me to mark them so I know what head goes to what tail.