COSDoug

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Years ago on an 8 day there was on board a retired oceanographer from Scripps. I think his name was Bob. He was an older gentleman and he was the type of guy that when he spoke, everybody listened closely. Anyway, once he was explaining the dynamics of how a boat 'works' in the ocean. Dude was really smart. I don't recall exactly his explanation but it had something to do with the length between swells in the ocean and their relationship with the length of the vessel. I do remember his end point though. Something magical happens when a boat is over 100 feet to make the ride much more comfortable. Some sort of 'sweet spot' occurs. I do remember that he sure seemed like he was convinced it was a fact. Anybody know anything about this ?

pascuale

Aug 14, 2004
Tampa/San Diego
Name
Ethan
Boat
nope
Swell is generated by wind or sometimes other events like earthquakes but thats rare. Lets say a large southern hemisphere storm with sustained 30-40 mph winds below Tahiti generates a 8-10 foot swell. In the storm area the swells will be close interval like a washing machine but as the swell travels across the open ocean towards say Baja, the swell interval (distance between each wave peak) increases and may be now 15-20 seconds. But generally at this point the swell is more like an elevator when on a boat, especially the farther it travels. Slowly up the swell and back down like "rollers".
Im guessing what he means is that a bigger boat is going to manage the interval and stay out of the trough (lowpoint in between two wave peaks) when those intervals are still small. But of course other factors come into play too like the direction of travel in relation to swell, etc.
in the Gulf of Mexico there is no long distance for waves to travel once storms generated them. So usually the waves are always short interval wind swell waves and when there are waves, its like a washing machine. In the Pacific we get Southern Hemisphere groundswells that are generated from thousands of miles away and hurricane swells in the summer months, and other winter storms up off Alaska. I think a bigger boat will be more comfortable in most conditions but conditions always change . A 100 foot boat can cross an 80 foot swell interval and stay out of the trough, in that particular condition. Thats my understanding of how it works. Maybe someone else can chime in.

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
As many of you know my wife B and I sailed a 4ton sailboat all around "those islands" ya know the "buffer zone" for 6 seasons or so. Small boat sailors learn that all weather is good it's just that some is better. hahah. Wen one is "in it" it is hard to except that the ocean will do what it does whether you are there or not, hard not to take it personal at the time. HA

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I bet it doesn’t hurt as much as the hurt felt by the people who got fucked over by Klein. If amazes me that that pos shows his face down at the landing.
Completely agree with you on him and how he handled that and how he maintained the boat the last couple of years. It sucks it couldn't have been bought by someone with some money to fix it up and stayed in the long range fleet

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Nearly Impossible to bring the vessel up to Coast Guard Structural Standards without being Completely Financially "Upside Down"....

ALL vessels have a "life expectancy"....the Q105 outlived her's a decade ago!....Queegueg
Huh? You saw the post above right? The Q105 is still working...looks in really good shape too....just not a sportfishing boat any more.

There is a ton of really old sportfishing boats that still pass Coast Guard inspection every year.....The Q105 was more about management style than age.

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Huh? You saw the post above right? The Q105 is still working...looks in really good shape too....just not a sportfishing boat any more.

There is a ton of really old sportfishing boats that still pass Coast Guard inspection every year.....The Q105 was more about management style than age.
Ding ding ding.

Reactions: NaplesJohn

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
First....What is your definition of "really old"?....

I believe the Q105 is being used as a "Mother Ship"...& is not venturing offshore....Queegueg
The Q105 was built in 1968. The RP was built in 1975. Vagabond in 1969. The vast majority of the other boats were built in the mid 80’s. It was a management issue. Not an age issue.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
QUALIFIER 105 (528583)
USCG ID 528583
Year 1970
Length 99.9 feet / 30.4 meters
Depth 4.5 feet / 1.4 meters
Breadth 27.4 feet / 8.4 meters
Gross Tonnage 95
Net Tonnage 65
Name QUALIFIER 105
Service PASSENGER (INSPECTED)
Trade Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
Hull Material ALUMINUM
Builder Rohr Aircraft Corporation, Chula Vista, California
Port HOMER AK
Owner Q105 LLC
1067 OCEAN DRIVE SUITE B
HOMER, AK 99603
Previous Names No Vessel Name Changes

Last edited:

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
Completely agree with you on him and how he handled that and how he maintained the boat the last couple of years. It sucks it couldn't have been bought by someone with some money to fix it up and stayed in the long range fleet
It was given a hard look and it just didn't pencil.

Reactions: qeequeg

waldocod

Mar 27, 2007
Washington
Name
Steve
Boat
Arima Sea Legend
She sees some pretty nasty weather. I didn’t see her at the dock until the end of the summer. You don’t have to go very far offshore in Alaska to get your butt kicked. I went down to the dock and she was pretty beat up, cosmetic wise. But still very seaworthy.
First....What is your definition of "really old"?....

I believe the Q105 is being used as a "Mother Ship"...& is not venturing offshore....Queegueg[/QUOTE

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The Q would rather be fishing out of sunny SD. They removed the bait tanks! Basically cut the balls, off

Last edited:

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
QUALIFIER 105 (528583)
USCG ID 528583
Year 1970
Length 99.9 feet / 30.4 meters
Depth 4.5 feet / 1.4 meters
Breadth 27.4 feet / 8.4 meters
Gross Tonnage 95
Net Tonnage 65
Name QUALIFIER 105
Service PASSENGER (INSPECTED)
Trade Coastwise Unrestricted, Registry
Hull Material ALUMINUM
Builder
Port HOMER AK
Owner Q105 LLC
1067 OCEAN DRIVE SUITE B
HOMER, AK 99603
Previous Names No Vessel Name Changes
BUILDER: Rohr Aircraft Corporation, Chula Vista, California.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
It was given a hard look and it just didn't pencil.
The current owner(s) would probably sell it (for the right price). Certainly less $$ than building a new one from scratch. It is definitely in better condition now than when it left SD. If you have a 3-4 million $$ start-up budget you should be okay. Food for thought...

- Jeff Burroughs

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
Trying to get back on topic - the article on ship design was very cool, but didn't appear to apply much to boats in our class, since the formulas provided are for large ships. If we applied the design length formula to fishing boats it would indicate that they were only designed for waves up to 11' high - not realistic.

I can't find any evidence that a 105' boat rides exponentially better than a 95' boat, but would expect that as length increases the ride smooths out commensurate with that increase. Most likely, it would have something to do with the typical wavelenghts seen in the waters we fish. Having ridden the Rooster many times, and about to experience my first voyage on the Star, well, I guess I'll get some real world experience.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
The shogun is 90 feet and wide. Sure feels like a bigger boat and rides like a bigger boat. In June I was on a shogun trip and we were drifting next to a boat of similar length. The shogun was rocking a tad. The other boat was seriously rocking compared to the shogun. Huge difference. We shared a scattered school that was bouncing back and forth between boats. The other boat had better fishers and landed more fish.

jimm

Jul 31, 2003
North San Diego County
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
I am not a marine architect, but I have fished on most boats in the fleet. When it comes to comfort, I don't think it is a matter of length as much as it is a matter of length and beam. Understand the longer and thinner the boat is, the more efficient and faster it will be. To the contrary, the wider a boat is, the more comfortable it is, but way less efficient in water.

The New Lo An is a wide 65 foot boat that rides like a dream but not very fast. The Shogun is a wide 95' boat and it is a dream to ride and drift on, but it is slower. The Q105 was a Cadillac! I remember drifting in six foot seas and the boat was not rolling at all. The Q105 seemed like the perfect combination of low to the water, wide, and long. I don't think it is considered a fast vessel, but it wasn't considered a slow one either. The Red Rooster seems to be a great compromise between a good riding and fast boat. The one boat I have not been on is the Royal Polaris and it looks like a very comfortable vessel. I think it is fast also. The Excel is a nice riding boat but very wet. My boat of choice is the Royal Star. The Royal Star, American Angler, and Polaris Supreme are wonderful vessels with great captains and crews, but they roll. If someone asked me to chose the most comfortable boat in weather, those three would not be in the conversation.

Just my opinion on the variety of boats in the fleet.

Reactions: Brad I and ZZZZZ