Almost A Member
Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Had my first 100+ fish day with Kman!

We started at 6:30 from Huntington Harbor and went south to the Pipe, where we scratched a few mixed bass and a couple of rockfish. Sonar was promising but the fish were not interested. We then went to some spots near the 108, same story. Took a few laps around the Mussel Farm trolling Rapallas for nothing; 2 sporties were there but we didn't see any fish on.

We then hit the Shoe around 11, where there was a few square miles of the cycle of life. Micro bait all over, macks and bass underneath, birds on top, dolphins and sea lions slashing the party. Current was downhill and when the west wind filled drifts were about 1.5 knots. We made long (~1 mile) fast drifts through the action, dropping plastics and various jigs. Everything worked. We caught fish throughout the column. All were stuffed with the micro bait. When we quit at 2:30 we had 102 mixed bass and 4 rockfish. No barracuda caught, although I did see some slashing the surface bait. Of course dozens of macs, it was hard to get through them.

Thanks to Kman for an epic day.

20190624_144749.jpg

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Hey Bob. Thanks for the invite. Even though those early fish didn’t want to play despite the favorable conditions, we finished strong. Welcome to the Century Fish club.

It’s 0250 and I’m getting ready to do it again. I retied the double trouble rig. It was shredded.

Reactions: LEC
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
That's a whole bunch of fish guys, nice day indeed.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
Hey Bob. Thanks for the invite. Even though those early fish didn’t want to play despite the favorable conditions, we finished strong. Welcome to the Century Fish club.

It’s 0250 and I’m getting ready to do it again. I retied the double trouble rig. It was shredded.

cough cough ho cough cough.... lol

Upvote 0

LEC

Almost A Member
Dec 15, 2005
Garden Grove Ca.
Name
Larry Crownover
Boat
20 ft. Invader LC

Inquiring minds want to know! What is the double trouble rig? We're going wed to cat but if it's blowing we'll stay local and fish the shoe. I'm guessing maybe it's 2 swim baits using a 3 way swivel? Thanks..tight lines!

Upvote 0

DrBob89

Almost A Member
Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
You got it right. Kman had many doubles on his 2-swimbait rig. Kinda felt like cheating when the bass were so thick ;-)

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Inquiring minds want to know! What is the double trouble rig? We're going wed to cat but if it's blowing we'll stay local and fish the shoe. I'm guessing maybe it's 2 swim baits using a 3 way swivel? Thanks..tight lines!

I do two versions. One is 30# mono to a 3-way swivel to 25# fluoro of different lengths to swimbaits. I fished it today for maybe 10 double hookups and a bunch of singles. Of course you can reduce the line diameters for even more hookups. Fishing the double rig is way easier than fishing two rods and I think just as productive, plus, you aren’t hogging as much precious rail space.

The other is a simple, long dropper loop. The downside to the dropper loop is you usually lose both rigs if either catches the bottom.

The cool thing about the double trouble is that two good sized fish can REALLY pull hard.

BAF81FEC-602B-4CC1-8765-8EEC856040AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
That Double Rig is really fun to fish and I often use this rig as the dead stick rig on the kayak with all it's movement and let Roddy do the catching...LOL...
The key to this rig for me, is the Owner three way swivel...it's a real quality set of swivels...I use a 10" or 12" and 20" to 24" leader and they don't tangle for the most part.
Great Fun Rig...!
I fished that same area yesterday (Tuesday) between the 102 and Horseshoe...actually inside and closer to the Shoe...for all you wanted Cuda...26" and 27" fatties that were busting on bait and puddling near the Green Bouy in the AM.
IMG_4242.JPG
Not one legal and I fished em hard till about noon.
IMG_4082.JPG

Upvote 0