101612 from bad to good...

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Including Tuesday, the last 4 trips we have been able to find the porpoise (in varying degrees of activity), mostly on the way home, Tuesday was no different, other than the end result.

Got up at 1:30, no moon is why, and when the captain (Nerlie) is goin' we are tryin for some night time stuff. The akule were hard and didn't think the menpachi would be good due to the swell, I was wrong; ran back in to our sweet spot (off Makaha) around 4:45 and was very pleased w/ the results, got probably 18 nice ones.

Ran out to R and caught some small akus just in case we find some debris and then ran out to the 1000 and went a trollin'. Big piles of TINY akus outside the 1000, yes the purple softhead was out. No bites there so we continued on w/ our quest. Thinkin' if nothing else we should be in around the akus for the afternoon tide change 4:45pm.

On our way back in around 1:30 Nerlie see some birds, so we head over to them. See a few matoris working and porpoise, I'm thinking well at least I know what we are doing this afternoon (stayin' w/ the porpoise).

The pile is spread out with pockets of matoris showing interest, seen this before in the recent past. About 45 minutes into the endeavor the stbd riggers goes and boy does it, a good 400 yds of line in the water and still goin when the line breaks (boat is out of gear). So lost one of my favorite BMF lures and also the line cut off the corner, which was G's 9" G-spot. Yes I was disappointed, I just changed that line about 1 month ago.

To keep this from getting too long, over the next 90 minutes we had 5 more misses, so at this point we are 0 for 6 WOW, really bad.

Finally the stbd rigger goes again and we get this one, this boy was stubborn, which made it that much more enjoyable.
ahi101612 007.jpg
It hurts so good.
ahi101612 011.jpg
Thanks Nerlie for finding the birds.
ahi101612 013.jpg
Got a pic of the captain.
Some implements of destruction
ahi101612 015.jpg

Aloha
Pat

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Unreal how consistent you are, good going. Captain looks happy! Played that same small akus on the 1000 to the pinnacle on saturday with no results. Was that you fueling up on saturday when I got in? Was going to try keehi this weekend but maybe you've changed my mind.Got a slight fever again.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Good going Pat and Nerlie, your perserverence paid off! Kudos to the capt for a keen eye on the birds.

Howemet

Mar 7, 2012
Hawaii Kai
Name
Pete Hopley
Boat
Howemet
Pat,

Nice freakin' work! I got to tell you... since joining BD and reading great postings like yours I have been schooled in all kinds of great fishin' knowledge that would have cost me hunderds of man hours and thousands of gallons of fuel to obtain. Thanks to guys like you I am not just out wandering around. I love this forum. Thanks!

Capt Pete
Howemet

hb1111

Apr 11, 2009
honolulu hi usa
Name
skipper
Boat
wanna be
amazing....what was going on with the 0-6 i think the schools they cruzing in are teaching them how to remove the hooks...nice Job Pat !

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Pat and Nerlie, seems like it's been too long since we seen a post with the both of you. Bummer on the lost lure but I'm sure that ahi that you landed makes up for it. Nice pics and thanks for showing your weapons of choice.

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom

Pat, Good going on the tuna! from wishing to fishing a lost favorite isalways sore...thanks for sharing!

shinchan

Making other fishermen look good....
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Porpoise + Pat = an ahi coming on board soon......:rofl:
Awesome catch Pat, especially when everything seems slow!

OTHGV

Jun 7, 2011
Fresyes, ca
Name
Bill
Boat
Whale Watcher boat ho!
To think I just got dispatched to Honolulu!! Sure hoping to get some lines wet!! Maybe I will break my big fish record of 40 lb. perty fish!!

OTHGV

Jun 7, 2011
Fresyes, ca
Name
Bill
Boat
Whale Watcher boat ho!
To think I just got dispatched to Honolulu!! Sure hoping to get some lines wet!! Maybe I will break my big fish record of 40 lb. That sure is a pretty fish!!

J_B

Captain
Feb 8, 2010
Kilauea, HI
Name
JB
Boat
21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
Nice Ahi Pat! Congrats on the Win! Enjoyed reading the post, thanks for posting a picture of some of your slayers.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Unreal how consistent you are, good going. Captain looks happy! Played that same small akus on the 1000 to the pinnacle on saturday with no results. Was that you fueling up on saturday when I got in? Was going to try keehi this weekend but maybe you've changed my mind.Got a slight fever again.
Thanks Steven, it was the Kai'Nana, fueled up, then went back over to the slip for oil changes and some other minor maint. Good luck where ever you head.

Way to go ahi slayer!

Tight lines,
Thanks Eric, tell Mike (Tuia) he should of stayed w/ the porpoise.

Good going Pat and Nerlie, your perserverence paid off! Kudos to the capt for a keen eye on the birds.
Thanks Jimmy, we probably have spent over a dozen hours in the porpoise the last 4 trips.

Pat,

Nice freakin' work! I got to tell you... since joining BD and reading great postings like yours I have been schooled in all kinds of great fishin' knowledge that would have cost me hunderds of man hours and thousands of gallons of fuel to obtain. Thanks to guys like you I am not just out wandering around. I love this forum. Thanks!

Capt Pete
Howemet
Thanks Capt. Pete, I as well have learned plenty from this site.

amazing....what was going on with the 0-6 i think the schools they cruzing in are teaching them how to remove the hooks...nice Job Pat !
Thanks Skip, so I broke off 2 fish and the 4 others just came off almost immediately. I was pretty nutted up fighting the last fish, just prayin' we got him. Got the prayer answered.

Pat and Nerlie, seems like it's been too long since we seen a post with the both of you. Bummer on the lost lure but I'm sure that ahi that you landed makes up for it. Nice pics and thanks for showing your weapons of choice.
Thanks Darren, actually lost 3 lures, 2 to fish (1 is somewhat explainable because of the lighter line) 1 to cut off from the rigger line cutting thru the corner line. Ouchie, 2 BMF and 1 Tsutomu.

Good going Pat. 7 ahi bites is pretty epic. Also, nice lures.

Jonny
Thanks Jonny, not sure they were all ahi, but very good chance. Those lures all got bit that day.

Wow....Unreal!!
Thanks MD.

Pat, Good going on the tuna! from wishing to fishing a lost favorite isalways sore...thanks for sharing!
Thanks Brian

Sweet catch!
Thanks Vinh.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Porpoise + Pat = an ahi coming on board soon......:rofl:
Awesome catch Pat, especially when everything seems slow!
Thanks Randy, lucky Nerlie saw the birds and then being there when they decided to chew...

Way to go Pat!
Thanks.

great looking ahi Pat! Persistence always seems to pay off (most of the time haha).
Thanks Spencer.

To think I just got dispatched to Honolulu!! Sure hoping to get some lines wet!! Maybe I will break my big fish record of 40 lb. perty fish!!
Thanks Bill, I hope you get a chance to...

Nice Ahi Pat! Congrats on the Win! Enjoyed reading the post, thanks for posting a picture of some of your slayers.
Thanks Jake, are you going to get a pass to get back on the water any time soon?

good going gang thats a nice one.
Thanks Ed, maybe see you this weekend.

Small kine bloody deck.
ahi101612 009.jpg
Cheers
Pat