Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Just got back and we went far, 80 miles. You got the counts and photos. I'll give you a long version after I have settled in. Ocean was rough coming back.
One YF was pushing 45#. Other were the 13-20#.
Had my personal limit of 5 YF and 2 Dodos.

Here's the long version. (I passed out last night after my shower. Couldn't sleep on the way back while Captain Clowers drove because the V berth was pounding even though we were going at 11 knots. My back would have broken up or my brain would have a concussion to received that pounding for 6 hours.)

Fished with Patrick and Captain Clowers who did his charter Saturday. He got 8 Tunas for 3 guys who had never gone tuna fishing before, so they had a blast. At times he was hooking them and passing them off to the anglers.

We left the point at about 2.30am Sunday morning with 2 scoops of bait in my 45 gal offshore tank and surpisingly, they last pretty well. We actually had live ones at the end of the trip. Some of them were still light green color. (By the way guys, make sure your tank is clean before getting new bait and that while in the harbor at low speed, use your bait net to get all the floating scale out of the water so that your bait won't choke on them.)

Riding down manageable, about 15-16 knots. Our goal was to go about 8 miles west of 1010 as what Captain Clowers did well the day before but we never made it.

Dropped in the trollers at 6.10 and found a big paddy about 20 min later with nothing. Spotted a very big paddy with birds on it with a29' Cat working it. Called a couple of times to ask to join but they didn't answer. By then they have drifter far from it and so we slided in easily on the other side. We set up at about 200 feet from it and had immediately hook up of Dorados. We got our limits there of Dodo and a couple of bites turned into 14# yellowfin. We threw back about 3 dodos. There was no yellowtail.

I'm pausing my update and will continue shortly. I'll have the #s for the big dodo and YF paddy and an area right south of 1010 where we had 2 stops of 4 and 5 YFs. Sorry for the interruption, Monday is always very busy. Stay tuned.

Mon 6.17 pm update:

OK. I'm updating my trip report but here are the numbers for you going out tonight.

Open paddy with WO Dorados and YF. 31.45.075/117.46.166. Same paddy that produced for Captain Clowers on Sat and for us on Sunday. This paddy was when the 29' Cat was also.

Area with open jig strikes. 4 times with single strikes. 2 came off. 2 others are 15#grade with 3, and then 4 more on bait. One of the bait fish was the 45#. Weighed today bled at 43#. We worked a mile radius for these spots. Out of the 6 blind strikes, one ate the red/wht feather. All the other ones hit this natural cedar daisy chain . Each cedar has black/purple feather attached to it. The other single natural cedar, single black/purple cedar didn't get hit. Zuccinni and big Rapala didn't get hit either. 31.40/117.50

Radio fish of 15# YF 6 miles SE of D220 but we never went because we had our own spot.

The whole area between 213, 1010 and D220 were very fishy.

Good luck trying these spots and please let me know if they produces.

I'm going back out Friday.

Attachments

Beaner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 22, 2011
Chino Hills
Name
Brandon
Boat
Hunky Dory
No way...impossible. Someone said that area had shut down!

ben88888

Jul 7, 2005
Temecula, CA
Name
Benny
Boat
2008 Defiance 250EX "Sea Monkey"
Excellent. It's so awesome of you to give same day reports. Keep slaying them!

1fishdude1

Oct 8, 2008
San Diego
Name
fishdude
Boat
THE DUDE
Sweet catch, heading out tmrw. Will have to load up and extra can to get down there. Not that it matters much seeing you did great,how was your bait?

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Outstanding Bill, congrats on quality and quantity. I can sure imagine the beating you guys took coming home. BTW-thought you weren't fishing this weekend? Fine job. We also killed em.

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
Jul 4, 2009
San Diego and AK
Name
Billy
Boat
25’, 22’ Whalers
Outstanding Bill, congrats on quality and quantity. I can sure imagine the beating you guys took coming home. BTW-thought you weren't fishing this weekend? Fine job. We also killed em.
HaHa, I thought you weren't fishing this weekend either. Tunas were calling and had to go.

Must have been much more comfortable in the 50'. Someday..........

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
HaHa, I thought you weren't fishing this weekend either. Tunas were calling and had to go.

Must have been much more comfortable in the 50'. Someday..........
Well actually I told you I was booked solid, USC game Sat. and fishing Sun. Ha! Ha!

ben88888

Jul 7, 2005
Temecula, CA
Name
Benny
Boat
2008 Defiance 250EX "Sea Monkey"
Anxious to read part 2 of the report. Leaving tonight.