Rodless_Jim

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
It's actually set up like a nail knot, of all things. When it uncoils it looks like a Uni. Maybe when it tightens up again, it reverts to a nail knot?

Looks pretty awesome to me. I'm going to try tying it a few times.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I don't think there is any Knot 100%

The knot in the video is a cool knot to know... thanks...

Reactions: qtrracer
Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Guaranteed this is NOT a 100% knot. Single pass through hook eliminates this possibility. No such thing as a 100% knot, but you only need near 100% knots when you use light line, otherwise the leader is more for abrasion resistance than anything else.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
The Palomar Knot comes close to being a 100% knot when tied properly. Be sure that when the hook or lure is passed through the loop that all parts of the knot cinch up together. Many depictions of this knot elsewhere make it look like the loop part of the knot goes up against the bottom of the eye of the hook or lure. The knot can fail if tied in that manner. An interesting knot that Berkley is recommending is their "Nano-Fil™ Knot", which is really just a trusty Palomar Knot with a double overhand knot instead of the single overhand knot. It could just as well be called a Double Palomar Knot! The Palomar is one of just two or three knots that can be used to attach terminal tackle with all of the super braids (Fireline, Power Pro, Spiderwire, etc.). The second pass on the overhand knot should make the Palomar even more secure.

This knot is so easy to tie that a cave man and even Carl can tie it in the dark.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/palomar-knot/

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
it reminds me of the spider hitch.

It looks similar to the San Diego Knot

KNOT
Are you guys high? the spider hitch is a way over done loop knot, and not like the jam knot either

Guaranteed this is NOT a 100% knot. Single pass through hook eliminates this possibility. No such thing as a 100% knot, but you only need near 100% knots when you use light line, otherwise the leader is more for abrasion resistance than anything else.

this is more like it, notice the palomar is doubled going through the eye of the hook?

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
The Palomar Knot comes close to being a 100% knot when tied properly. Be sure that when the hook or lure is passed through the loop that all parts of the knot cinch up together. Many depictions of this knot elsewhere make it look like the loop part of the knot goes up against the bottom of the eye of the hook or lure. The knot can fail if tied in that manner. An interesting knot that Berkley is recommending is their "Nano-Fil™ Knot", which is really just a trusty Palomar Knot with a double overhand knot instead of the single overhand knot. It could just as well be called a Double Palomar Knot! The Palomar is one of just two or three knots that can be used to attach terminal tackle with all of the super braids (Fireline, Power Pro, Spiderwire, etc.). The second pass on the overhand knot should make the Palomar even more secure.

This knot is so easy to tie that a cave man and even Carl can tie it in the dark.

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/palomar-knot/
I don't think there is any Knot 100%

Reactions: BASSMITH
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the double san diego knot ...tied properly will break out side the knot on the main line every time..

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Tied it with Izor XXX 20lb which breaks at 27-28 lbs. If tied correctly the line broke @ 27lb. But you have to make sure those loops stack up nice and neat, in a row, no crossovers when tightened down. IF you get crossovers breaking point drops to 16-17lbs. Also with the lighter 20lb it is very hard to see if the loops stack up correctly. I had to use a 10x magnifier to see it. So with the heavier string it would be a lot easier to see if the loops stack up correctly. And this may well be a 100% knot

And YES there are 100% knots. With the Izor XXX in 40lb and under I can tie a Palomar, a Trilene, a Single line San Diego Jam knot and get a 100% result every time. 100% being defined as the line breaking not the knot breaking. Brand of mono makes a big difference. The Izor XXX is a superb product. I say line of 40lb and under because my line testing device is not hefty enough to test lines over 40lb.
Here are 3 You Tube links of videos that I made showing the correct way to tie common knots.
Buy yourself some XXX and follow the videos and get 100% strength with your knots.
Please be patient, I tend to get a little winded and videos run a little longer then you would expect.

Walt

Palomar Knot:
San Diego Jam:
Trilene:
Walt

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I know it's knot a report.. Figured this was the place to ask. Anybody know what this knot is?
I've been using that knot since the early 80's. I learned from the guys at the old Rod Shop on Beach Blvd. They called it the tuna knot. I mainly use it for lighter lines, like 25# or less.

Upvote 0

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
wishing west c
Name
nal
Boat
282 GW Sailfish F225's
interesting knot, will try to learn and bench test it out with heavy test (130# mono).
looks to be a fairly small profile knot as well so good for flylining bait.
lately been practicing in perfecting the Joe Miller for heavy test (80-150#). Love the miller for ease of tying, strengh, and size. Double san diego jam is a very strong knot, but for heavy line is is just too big for what i consider a stealthy bait knot.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Kind of look like a SD knot, but tied differently.

Excellent observation. It is almost exactly like the San Diego Jam. IF you tied the S/D Jam Knot and instead of running the tag through the bottom opening and up through the top loop you run the tag end up through the inside of all the raps then through the top loop you would have the same thing. Much easier to just tie a San Diego Jam properly and be done with it. One of the very best knots to attach a hook. Easy to tie and very consistent in it's reliability. .

Upvote 0