I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 8, 2015
San Marcos, CA
Name
CatchermanNot
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Hi,
My son is asking for a 10' rod for his 16th birthday. He's a good caster and wants a rod he can throw jigs a long distance with. Anyone have any suggestions? He was thinking about a Seeker Ulua or Phoenix Abyss. Any recommendations on these or others would be appreciated.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I myself am partial to the UC lineup. Rod recommendations depend on what he wants to cast as far as jigs.

The lighter stuff would be a CE1000 Monster

The heavier stuff would be CE1000 Wahoo or Del Mar

For a 1 rod to do both, I would say US 100 Monster.

My .02, others mileage may vary...

Man Overboard

Feb 12, 2009
Ventura,Ca
Name
Daniel
Boat
N/A
There is a nice rare calstar 100 J mag that just went up for saw in Classified section

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Ton of great choices.

My 10' rods are a F100, and building a UC wahoo1000

It's all about personal preference, also not sure how much power your 16 year old has, but loading up a 10'er with a light surface iron really takes a lot of technique combined with some strength.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Tuna Hawk

Sep 13, 2015
Newport Beach
Name
Al
Boat
Nope
The UC Del Mar 9' is better IMO than the UC Del Mar 10'. Furthermore the UC Del Mar's are really modified and improved UC Wahoo's.
The action on the 900 is bar none probably the best jig stick on the market. Im not sure that the 10' would even cast farther over the 9' UC, considering both are 6 Flags. When you consider balance, lighter weight, the perfect shut off point, the UC 900 is demonstrably better. When compared to other offerrings, with the UC the thinner diameter blank youll have less drag when casting when compared to others like Phenix, Calstar, Cousins etc. And dont forget that unique helix weave from UC puts there rods in another league in toughness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hye

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
The UC Del Mar 9' is better IMO than the UC Del Mar 10'. Furthermore the UC Del Mar's are really modified and improved UC Wahoo's.
The action on the 900 is bar none probably the best jig stick on the market. Im not sure that the 10' would even cast farther over the 9' UC, considering both are 6 Flags. When you consider balance, lighter weight, the perfect shut off point, the UC 900 is demonstrably better. When compared to other offerrings, with the UC the thinner diameter blank youll have less drag when casting when compared to others like Phenix, Calstar, Cousins etc. And dont forget that unique helix weave from UC puts there rods in another league in toughness.
I have two great 8'6 rods. A phenix and terez. I've considered adding a 10' to my collection. In my case would I see a better difference going with the uc 9 or 10? Great topic.

Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
Also if you don't go with a UC rod I would look real hard at those new Phenix Axis jigsticks.

Tuna Hawk

Sep 13, 2015
Newport Beach
Name
Al
Boat
Nope
I have two great 8'6 rods. A phenix and terez. I've considered adding a 10' to my collection. In my case would I see a better difference going with the uc 9 or 10? Great topic.
Both are great blanks. The 9ft del Mar has a better shut off point and action. I'm being very picky here, slicing and dicing. The del Mar 9ft is so near perfect as I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure the 10ft del Mar will cast any further, and if it does by how much 10 inches? But the balance and the lighter weight is gained because it's 1 ft shorter. The del Mar 9ft might generate more tip speed over the 10ft, hence the 9ft could cast farther. Granted, distance is important with a jig stick, but so is balance and the shut off point. I've pulled and analyzed both blanks side by side. The UC del Mar 9ft is better imo. Hence I got the UC Del Mar 900.

Last edited:

Craig Rappaport

Oct 8, 2015
San Marcos, CA
Name
CatchermanNot
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Ton of great choices.

My 10' rods are a F100, and building a UC wahoo1000

It's all about personal preference, also not sure how much power your 16 year old has, but loading up a 10'er with a light surface iron really takes a lot of technique combined with some strength.
He's pretty good. Better than me (though that's not saying much). We fish a fair bit and he will definitely get better, but he says he really likes the way the Ulua feels.

Tuna Hawk

Sep 13, 2015
Newport Beach
Name
Al
Boat
Nope
Thanks. I think that's where he's leaning, though everyone has provided great insight.
If you do some searching on my posts. I've been the only person ever on bd to have sold 5 x 10 ' uncut, brand new, w/ original sticker Ulua CEX extreme composite blue s glass blanks. Ive had 6 total but cherry picked the best one with a rare flag pattern in the glass. Anyways, the Ulua CEX composite S glass is Seekers finest jig stick, made back in the late 90s when Seeker made there own rods. Today, Seeker Inc is located in Orange CA, and is on there 3rd owner. And because its a shell of there former self. They are forced to farmout the mfg of there blanks to Brad Loomis in WA state. Hence, the blanks are different, made different, feel different, the quality is inferior. Unless you get a CEX blue Ulua 10ft, you'll looking for a while, get something that is available today. But I can say for the record, as an CEX blue Ulua fanboy. The Del Mar 900 is the Ulua CEX drop in replacement, though 1 ft shorter, but the del Mar has few advantages over the Ulua, it's lighter, and you can use any reel on it, and it uses the tough as nails helix composite material, so its really an upgrade. And for that I would say the UC del Mar 900 is the 2.0 version and made better for that reason. And why not, the designer and creator of the legendary CEX composite blue Ulua was Randy Penny, but Randy is also the creator and designer of the UC del Mar 900, so really the Ulua CEX lives vicariously and is born again through the del Mar 900 but is improved. Happy Fishing

Last edited:
Reactions: Hye and Haly0

Juan23

May 31, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Juan Ramirez
Boat
I wish...
Can't go wrong with the UC Del mar or the seeker ulua. I have the 90 Del mar and it's awesome.

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
What lb test are you guys using on your UC del mars? Rating is a little high for the traditional 40lb surface iron set-up.