10-Day List for Intrepid 12/26

Fyremo

Jun 24, 2007
Seal Beach
Name
Scott
Boat Name
I wish
Going on the Intrepid for a 10-day on 12/26 for my first LR trip. :drool::drool::drool:

After reading every long range post and looking at the list on every long range boat website I have a pretty good idea of what to bring but I don't want to forget the obvious nor the "nice to bring" things.

Does any of you veterans have a list compiled that you could email to me?

Thanx in advance,

Scott

[email protected]

Upvote 0

nick17yz

TUNA TOKER
Nov 6, 2008
SEEKER RODS
Name
Nick Rekrut
Boat Name
Longrange
im goin. paid up and ready. im gonna be the rook. still a cow virgin.

Upvote 0

Outhouse

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Feb 13, 2007
    Germantown, TN
    Name
    Jon Scobey
    Boat Name
    Titanic
    After my first 7 day trip, I realized that less is more. Take care of your fishing tacklet and don't worry about the rest.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    A nice item to have on the Intrepid is a water bottle..... Get yourself some sort of plastic refillable bottle, so you can have a drink up on deck... an insulated one is probably better... They do not charge for soda or juice, but they have small paper cups, so if you have your own bottle it is nice.....

If you are an all day beer drinker you disregard this mesaage as the beer comes in cans and you will want a can wrap to keep it cold longer....

Upvote 0

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
    wishing west c
    Name
    nal
    Boat Name
    282 GW Sailfish F225's
    The post Xmas 10 day trip has been a cow hunt trip down in the Mag bay area. Not a lot of variety fishing compared to a fall trip. If the big tuna are around in decent #'s then be prepared to wear a harness all day in anticipation (make sure you either know how to use the rail on huge fish or that you get a harness or borrow one from the boat). I don't think you will see a lot of wide open bites, but you always hope and be prepared with the heavy stick--the captain will tell you what grade of fish and what tackle you should be using (listen to him!). Most importantly, relax and enjoy.

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
    Aug 20, 2006
    Indialantic, Florida
    Name
    Eric
    Boat Name
    Boat Ho
    Agree with ThunderMudder -
    Watch the boards and if this year is like the recent past, you will want two 100+ lb rigs for tuna and a 30-40-50 lb rig to catch bait and maybe reds on the way home and the way down. Having said that, I personally would take 3 heavy rigs + 80, 60, 50, 40, 30 because I need to justify owning them. Have fun!

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat Name
    none
    bring your dvd player so you can watch your favorite movies and make sure you have a sardine rig that you can fish a short topshot with 130.goo

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 20, 2005
    sacramento
    Name
    jim
    Boat Name
    Royal Star
    I always stash some big garbage bags somewhere in my stuff. If it starts raining before you load (happend to me twice in the last two years!) you can cover your bags so at least you start out with all your clothes dry!

Upvote 0

CDN_eh

Jun 30, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Name
    Stephen Ruiter
    Boat Name
    Not applicable
    Here a number of responses from various people on some nice and need to haves.

two rolls of Flexx Wrap (guaranteed someone else will want to use it)
    two screwdrivers of the right size to get guide rollers loose
    light oil for rollers
    wrench, socket, screwdriver, whatever for taking your reels off your rods to get them re-spooled
    a ciagrette lighter
    a spray bottle and some Salt-X for when your outfits get drenched in rough weather
    laxative
    spares - batteries, camera memory cards, sunglasses, hat<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
    Large plastic clothes pins or plastic clips (.99 cent store) Use three and hang your towel to dry by clipping your towel horizontally to your bunk edge.

Large wide base insulated coffee mug from 7-11 (Refills .99 cents!).

Giant insulated soda mug from 7-11 ( Soda refills .99 cents!).

Small bottle of windex and roll of paper towels.

I have a pair of reading glasses with l.e.d 's on both sides or bring a book lamp as someone mentioned.

Liquid hand sanitizer ( colds spread fast on a boat).

Besides regular sunscreen I keep a small stick of coppertone in my box on deck to touch up nose and ears with getting it on my hands.

Small can of Febreez to help maintain serenity in stateroom.

Mini carbiner (key chain size).I put my fish tags on that. I got tired of having the regular clip open and chasing down my tags.

About 10 bags of Costco beef jerky and put them up in the wheelhouse for the crew.

Aloe Vera gel<o:p></o:p>

Lens cleaning wipes &#8211; to clean sunglasses I always bring several extra boxes.. (Wallmart) and share with other passengers.. These really clean all the sweat and sunscrean off your lenses.

Imodium - Well, you never know if someone brings a bug onto the boat..

Large insulated cup 60 oz at least for hydration.I bring crystal light and flavor my water... really helps to drink large volumes.

Vet wrap - You can pick up the 2 inch wide product at any Petco/Petsmart. works much better than the 1 inch product and costs less.. plan on a roll per fishing day. I reapply a couple of time per day... do you really want to have it covering your fingers when you grab that 1 pound cheese burger ?

Electric fan - This is great in your stateroom.. Not only does it cool the room, it drys your towels and keeps the room from getting too funky.. get the style with the clip on the end.. you can clip to a cabinet, bunk rail etc.. also, extension cord.. (wallmart sells them for around 12 bucks.. (they are seasonal, if they are out, try Ace hardware).. my fan is on 24 hours a day.

Multiple dykes... a set with your rigging supplies, and a couple for your tackle box.. They have a habit of walking away... and returning several days later..

Several guys have made excellent points on hand care while on a trip... any line cuts, punctures etc, should be treated with antibiotic ointment... bag balm, and liquid bandage.. are worth their weight.... a guy with an infected finger on a long trip is in for a tough time.. Be careful of the mackeral spines.. a cabbie or spanish mackeral can spine you and you will feel it for days.

Fishing glove.. ever get a blister on the palm of your left hand from the reel frame ? ever notice how you don't feel it when you are pulling on that cow ? A glove can prevent that...

Backups... good points on having an extra pair of quality polorized sunglasses... I saved a buddy with my extra pair in August when his went missing on the trip..

Check your fishing boots prior to your trip.. They may be your favorite pair, but a small tear or leak can leave you with wet feet.. so check them out prior to departure.

Spray bottle for cleanup

Lastly,

I like the idea of bringing a check list... that way you don't leave anyting on the boat when you get off... for fly back trips, you make sure you don't leave things like your passport, keys, wallet etc on the boat in Cabo.. Yes, I saw a guy leave his keys on the boat.. doh.<o:p></o:p>

Speaking of showers, I like liquid soap more than bar soap. Easier to store, easier to use for double duty of hair washing or clothes washing.

Chapstick with SPF built in&#8211;you&#8217;re gonna use chapstick anyway, why not have some SPF too?

And speaking of things that it couldn&#8217;t hurt to have, I usually take backups of indispensables such as hats, dykes, sunglasses&#8211;on a lot of trips its often easier to find an unused 50 size reel than to find a pair of unused sunglasses.

Swiss Army Knife&#8211;blade, scissors, tweezers and of course corkscrew&#8211;gotta have it.

Small flashlight--nice for finding stuff in your room without waking your roomie or seeing into a reel.

Clean Shirts&#8211;There&#8217;s something nice about putting on a clean shirt after the evening shower; I make sure that I always have enough.

A fish dragger for when you get back to the docks and need to move the fish into piles. Barring that, a pair of plastic medical gloves helps keep the slime off.

Lastly, safety pins. They come in handy for all sorts of stuff. For instance, ever since an early trip where some poor shmoe lost his car keys and had to call his wife to drive down from LA with a spare set, I&#8217;ve wanted to not be in the same predicament. So I safety pin my keys to an inside pocket of my duffel bag. It may not be necessary, but its no real inconvenience or added weight, and I haven&#8217;t lost a set of keys yet (I do the same thing when I leave my car at the airport).

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    bring your dvd player so you can watch your favorite movies and make sure you have a sardine rig that you can fish a short topshot with 130.goo

No need.... Each room has a DVD palyer in it!! The Intrepid rocks!!

Upvote 0

cap_lr

May 16, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Laurens
    Boat Name
    SOLD!
    10 days @ 2-3 sundowners/day = gallon of your favorite hooch...I'm in the habit of also bringing a big bottle of Bailey's for morning coffee, mmmmmmm

Upvote 0

Fishious

Jan 26, 2006
    Anaheim Hills, California
    Name
    Don
    Boat Name
    Hole In The Water $$$
    Earplugs... so when your roommate stays up all night watching Adam Sandler DVDs, you can get some sleep - also for if you're sensitive to engine noise.

Portable alarm clock so you don't miss the gray bite.

Upvote 0