10 day Intrepid December 2019

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
Need some recommendations. 10 day trip booked in December. Have fished San Diego 1 to 3 day trips for 20 years. Have limited tackle but plan on using boat gear. Current gear:

Trinidad 14 Phenix psw 700m 20 lb leader
Trinidad 16 Phenix psw 700m. 30 lb leader
Talica. 10 Phenix psw 700H 40 lb leader
Talica. 12 Phenix psw. 700xh. 50 lb leader
PennVisx 16 Rainshadow RR 80 lb leader

Thinking about adding to current quiver,maybe one or two outfits. What would you recommend.

Thanks

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
Great start there, hard to say what the fishing will be then. If the lupe a heavier dropper loop set up.

Reactions: Olddog8

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
You are going to want at least one long rod for hucking jigs I'd say.

Reactions: locvetter

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
Reactions: locvetter

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Before buying another outfit, go with that plan to use some of the boat gear to augment yours. Perhaps a nice 50 lb casting outfit to fish both Wahoo with bombs and jigs as well as Yellowtail with YoYo iron. Don’t know that the boat has or will apply for a permit to fish Guadalupe. That’s a game changer.

Reactions: RichG and Brad I

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
Before buying another outfit, go with that plan to use some of the boat gear to augment yours. Perhaps a nice 50 lb casting outfit to fish both Wahoo with bombs and jigs as well as Yellowtail with YoYo iron. Don’t know that the boat has or will apply for a permit to fish Guadalupe. That’s a game changer.
What would you recommend for a 50 lb outfit for casting .

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
Depends what kind of fishing you’re into, some like to fish bait, others prefer jigs. But if you can cast decent and wind like a mad man, wahoo bomb fishing is about as fun as it gets. A fast reel (Trinidad, saltiga, jx Raptor) on a stiff 7-8 foot rod and you’re set. Also makes a perfect yo-yo setup.

After that I’d say a jigstick or popper setup.

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Either of your Talica's should cast great, that's what they're supposed to do well.
Rent a heavy casting outfit 100-130lb.
Buy leaders, wahoo jigs, and hooks.
I like back ups in my main line class too, i.e. 40lb Or 50lb

Reactions: InDeepShip
Feb 11, 2015
Name
Scott
Boat
Aire 143R
Aside from a trolling outfit/cow killer and a jig stick you’re pretty well covered. I’d suggest boat gear for the trolling/kite/cow stuff - boat gear is usually dialed in to whatever you’re doing and tried and tested repeatedly. You’ll get tons of opinions on jig sticks and most have merit. A 90J or equivalent with a Trini will do just fine. I’d suggest straight mono on the spool - when the inevitable backlash happens you’ll understand why.

Reactions: Olddog8 and RichG

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
David, you are getting a lot of good advise here. And I'll give you my two cents. First you must realized I am somewhat of a tackle whore, but I've been collecting for many years. Lately I am trying to take less verse more.

I don't know if the Intrepid will get Lupe permits or not. If Lupe is in the picture, then some of my suggestions might change.

You have a good assortment posted.

On a 10 day you most likely will never put a 20 pound outfit in the water and 30 is very rare.

In December on a 10 day the lower banks can come into play and there is the possibility of some Cow tuna. I think that renting a 20 or 30 size outfit for 100-130 pound is a good thought. If you are to buy one, think of how often you'll use it, before you buy. Also you might not use the 80 pound set up, it's a bit light in my opinion, though good for Lupe.

I usually have an 80 pound flurocarbon wind-on, but usually set up an 100 pound.

Wahoo are fun to catch. I would add either an additional 40 or 50 pound set up. Wahoo will be fast and furious and a good back up is a good idea. I have a jig on one and a bomb on the other. I suggest you get something that can handle 50 and if needed put 40 on it. I like my 875 XH rod.

I don't usually fish a rod longer than 7.5 feet. It gets harder to transport it, especially if you are flying. But if you like to throw surface irons a long rod is nice. That's a personal preference. I enjoy watching those guys cast the long rod, but after two or three, I would be starting to wear out.

So I would consider leaving the 20 pound at home. Getting another 40/50 set up and renting heavy 20/30 size rod and reel.

Have fun.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Do a search for Wahoo Reel or Wahoo outfit and you’ll be rewarded with almost too much information. Pretty much a reel with a fairly tall spool, 4/0 size, with gearing that yields enough inches per turn on retrieval. Some are moving to longer rods for Wahoo, but I like a 6’6” or 7’ rod, fairly stiff tip, X or XH rated 30-80 or even 40-100 lb. Long casts are not necessarily what you’re looking for. More importantly is letting your jig or bomb sink out so you cover the water column better. Most Wahoo are hooked fairly close to the boat. Best to fish a little deeper, not like fishing surface iron.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
David. Last year I made a spread sheet up on reels, with inches per crank, drag, etc. I’ll go find it and PM you in a day or two. I settled on an Avet HXJ Raptor. Basically my brother had it so I somewhat borrowed it. I was told the single speed 7:1 Valiant was ment as a 30 pound reel so I excluded that. Plus I prefer 2 speed reels.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Take another #60lb and #100lb. reels #40lb and up should be 2 speeds. Then your set. Don't for get the Intrepid has free loaner gear if you reserve in adavance.

Reactions: Olddog8

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I have never fished the long jigs. What rod/ reel outfit would you recommend.
If you haven't fished jigs before, a 10 day is not a place to learn. Either get a lot of practice before the trip or don't fish jigs until you learn. You will catch a lot of fish without having to jig fish. The pole and reel is the cheap part of jig fishing, When you start buying jigs of all flavors, The price adds up fast.

COSDoug

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Take another #60lb and #100lb. reels #40lb and up should be 2 speeds. Then your set. Don't for get the Intrepid has free loaner gear if you reserve in adavance.
Not totally accurate. The Intrepid does indeed have very well maintained, high quality rods and reels as loaners. Reels are all 2 speed. The cost is $15 per rod and reel, per trip. This comes with a brand new 100 yard mono top shot on top of the spectra backing. { I've only gotten up to 50# so heavier could be more, don't know } If, during the trip you want another top shot because yours got dinged up, it's another $10 or $15. If there is anything you don't like, they give you another one. I've used their loaners since Capt. Kevin told me I should 7 years ago. Considering what you pay for a trip, loaners are a steal.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Not totally accurate. The Intrepid does indeed have very well maintained, high quality rods and reels as loaners. Reels are all 2 speed. The cost is $15 per rod and reel, per trip. This comes with a brand new 100 yard mono top shot on top of the spectra backing. { I've only gotten up to 50# so heavier could be more, don't know } If, during the trip you want another top shot because yours got dinged up, it's another $10 or $15. If there is anything you don't like, they give you another one. I've used their loaners since Capt. Kevin told me I should 7 years ago. Considering what you pay for a trip, loaners are a steal.
Your probably right about the best of gear, The same goes for any reel (including your gear) about the top shot, All L.R boats charge for a top shot, unless you bring your own and top shot it by yourself. But for $10-15 dollars for a fresh top shot to use the entire trip is VERY reasonable( providing you don't need a fresh top shot). If you rent the gear at the landing, I heard per outfit for 10 days can be Quite Pricely if you rent multiple set ups. The gear on the boat may not be the best, But it will do it's purpose. I agree to own your own gear is the way to go if you plan on doing more L.R. trips in the future. If SOME people are on a budget this is a option to consider and free up money to take care of the crew $$$, In return, they generally will take care of you.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I was thinking about a mak 20 or penn 20visx for 100 lb with uc viper.
Be aware there is a considerable difference in line capacity between these 2 reels. I have owned a Mak 20 and now have Penn's VISX. Both are super reels. I sold the Mak because I felt it was a 10 day + reel and my trip range is 8 day max. All was good till the big bluefin parked themselves off San Clemente Island................ :imdumb:. I ended up getting Penn's 20 and in my hands casts easier due to the narrower spool. Be aware that the specs on Penn's reels are based on their Pro Spec line which is about 25% thinner than most manufacturers. I got 540 yards of TufLine Guides Choice 130 Hollow as opposed to Pen's specs of 630 yards. inho, if you're going to do 10 day + trips go for either the Mak 20 or look at Penn's VISX30. That would give you more wiggle room.

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
Let me thank all of you for your excellent feedback and input. I really appreciate your experience and knowledge. I still have over 10 months to put my gear together. Based on your feedback I am leaning toward the following:

This is an Okuma sponsored trip. Maybe between the boat gear and what Okuma brings on board maybe I will be covered for heavy gear. I am 70 years old and don’t want to invest in a lot of long range gear.

I think I will leave the 20 lb outfit at home.

I am looking at an additional 50 lb for jigs and backup bait. Since I like Phenix Rods would a 809xhj be a good choice. I could pare that with an Avet JX Raptor or move my Talica 12 to this rod and add a Mak 10 or a Torque 40N2LD to my psw700xh.

Your thoughts on this strategy would be appreciated

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Dave, you gave us your age, so likewise I can understand not wanting a hoard of new Long Range gear. Find out who the charter master is for that trip and see what Okuma gear he’s bring to demo. Also rods. It’s a bit early but stay in communication with him. He might have your extra 50 pound set up plus the heavy stuff for you to use. That way you don’t have to buy any new rods and reels

I don’t know anything about Phoenix rods though I was using a kite set up once, did get anything worth mentioning. Someone here might be helpful. I did look at there dealer list and see that Bob Sands in Van Nuys is listed. Therefore, you might want to communicate with Jamie. He’s on BD and knows his stuff.

If I were you, think about how many times you are going to be able to fish the heavy fish before you buy. I’m always looking but buying a lot less these days. My body is wearing out.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I like the 809 XHJ, so much that I have two of them. They’re great for throwing bombs and would work well for bait. I use mine for bombs and poppers. Any of the reels you mention would be good. The JX Raptor is very versatile, could be used for jigs or bait, I use mine for 50#. I love my Mak 10’s but only for bait fishing, and use them for 40 and 50#. The Torque 40N is an awesome reel. I use mine for fishing 60, and it could also fish jigs or bait. If you don’t have that reel yet you could consider the Fathom 40n 2 speed, also very versatile and is a workhorse that can be had for reasonable cost. I don’t have the Talica but they have their loyal followers.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I have never been on a tackle sponsored trip. Is there anything to be said for leaning towards Okuma stuff for this Okuma sponsored trip?? the Mak 10 would on that basis maybe get the nod over the PennTorque???

freegaff2

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
got ya beat on the age by a year :D Would not go on a 10 day without a 30# bait outfit for wahoo...my trip in Oct my knee was trashed, so did not want to get in anyone's way during the bomb/jig melee going on in the stern...hooked 14 fish on bait to keep me in the game and trash my wallet at 5 Star...and those wahoo are incredibly fun fish on lighter gear...used a cut down 670 Sabre and an Avet JX...

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I have never been on a tackle sponsored trip. Is there anything to be said for leaning towards Okuma stuff for this Okuma sponsored trip?? the Mak 10 would on that basis maybe get the nod over the PennTorque???
They don’t shame you for using competitor’s gear. Use whichever one you want. The Mak 10 is, by far, my favorite 40# bait reel. I have a Torque 40 I like a lot for 60# bait. Don’t have any other Torques yet.

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
They don’t shame you for using competitor’s gear. Use whichever one you want. The Mak 10 is, by far, my favorite 40# bait reel. I have a Torque 40 I like a lot for 60# bait. Don’t have any other Torques yet.
Ok guys, have an update. Based on you comments and new rod received today. My planned line up looks like this:

Trinidad 14a Phenix 700m. 50 spectra 25-30 leader lite bait.
Talica 10. Phenix 700h. 60 spectra. 30-40 leader bait
Trinidad. 16a. Phenix 809xhj 50 spectra. 40-50 jigs/bait
Talica. 12. Phenix 700xh. 65 spectra 50 bombs/bait
Penn. 16visx Rainshadow xxlh 100 spectra 80-100 bait

The intrepid has Avet reels / Seeker rods for rent in 30,40,50,100 lb Setups.
Also since this is an Okuma sponsored trip I feel they will have some gear as well.

Do you think I have all bases covered or should I add a outfit.

Thanks

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
It looks good. It will definitely will depend on what’s happening at the time of the trip. If I was going on the trip, I definitely would want one 30 lb set up, two 40, and one 50. If the wahoo are biting may be two 50. Don’t know if you’ll use the 80 unless you go to Lupe.

Now start thinking about some wahoo bombs (Captain Jimmy Bombs) and a few Sea Strike 33 or Raider jigs. Use the boat trolling set up.

Oh. Make a list of essentials. There are plenty of threads with everyone’s opinions.

Now comes the nervous wait.

Bearaz

Dec 28, 2017
Kerrville TX
Name
David Twilley
Boat
Yours
Thanks Richard.... line up will probably change. Part of the fun for a senior citizen is being able to have fun planning and anticipation of the trip. Thanks for you input.

Reactions: RichG

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
looking set up just fine to me too, now comes the waiting game...….and then the trip! Get Stoked!!!

Reactions: RichG