ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Lobsters crawled ok last night, ended up with 9. If anyone needs bait, there are mixed size mackerel in 50'-150' of water all over that area. They're so thick my sonar was having trouble distinguishing the bottom from the mackerel, I've never seen anything like it. They're oddly picky though, they won't touch sabikis, only chunks of squid or mackerel with a small sinker and the piece of bait has to be pretty big.

Anyone know some guys who were scuba diving out there last night? They came in on a nice 45' sportboat right through my traps, ran over one of them and completely destroyed it and dumped it overboard to drift away after they got it out of their prop. I got lucky and happened to notice my half submerged buoy way out of position and picked up what was left of it. They then proceeded to drop anchor in the middle of 3 of my buoys, one was probably 30' from them. I don't like to accuse people of poaching nets, but those 3 nets all came up empty in the middle of the crawl... I don't mind that they ran over my trap, it happens, in fact I ran over one of my own last night and had to dig it out of my prop, but it's pretty rude to set someone's gear adrift after you ruined it. Anyways, we were the only 2 boats in that area last night, please ask them to be a little more respectful if you happen to know who they are.

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
In Carlsbad, a guy ran over my net on opening night. I figured the prop must have cut the net off. I found my reflective float silently drifting away. Tons of shorts in that area - got some legals to help offset the loss.

Reactions: Kareem Korn
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
To do what they did! Don't count on nicely asking them NOT to do it. Their idiots!!

Where were you during this? I keep a real close eye on my hoops. It takes a little bit of time to pull rope from a prop. I think I would have been next to them by that time. Let your other nets soak and deal with the issue at hand.

Reactions: T Shark
Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
You should always put a weight on the line that runs through your buoy to adjust for depth. Floating line is a danger for you and everyone else. It sounds like a mess out there. I'm going to check it out next week.. Although it sounds like everyone is getting some!

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
You should always put a weight on the line that runs through your buoy to adjust for depth. Floating line is a danger for you and everyone else. It sounds like a mess out there. I'm going to check it out next week.. Although it sounds like everyone is getting some!
yeah I agree, personally I use weighted line, I see others without it

Upvote 0

ryanhead

Almost A Member
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
To do what they did! Don't count on nicely asking them NOT to do it. Their idiots!!

Where were you during this? I keep a real close eye on my hoops. It takes a little bit of time to pull rope from a prop. I think I would have been next to them by that time. Let your other nets soak and deal with the issue at hand.
I was on a long drift catching mackerels. We saw them doing something near my spread, but they were sitting for too long to be stealing the net or its contents so I just let them be, figuring they metered some fish and were catching bait or something like that.

yeah I agree, personally I use weighted line, I see others without it
Weights are a must! I put 10oz weights on the end of every line so I know mine are vertical. Makes it more obvious when the current is moving too. That guy must have put his bow right on my buoy that he was able to get the rope in his prop.

Reactions: Big_Tuna_
Upvote 0