10/6 267 to 14 mile

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by So Cal Adventure, Oct 6, 2016.

1. So Cal Adventure

So Cal Adventure Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    42 ft Bertram
    Late start solo in my 17ft. Got a scoop of sardines in dana harbor and headed offshore. Course due SW about 8 miles got into the paddy zone. Ive never seen so many massive gorgeous paddys. Many the size of garage doors. In the morning when there was flat water and no wind you could usually have 2 or 3 in sight at all times. Some were vacant, but some had nice Yellowtail underneath. I Landed a nice 10 lb YT on a soaked sardine. Gave it to a nice lady on the dock. Caught a few Bonito on another. I Metered a large school of big marks under more than one of these paddys.

For guys going out tomorrow, I suggest try looking for your own fish! Its a shame to see 6 - 10 boats grouped around an open party boat. I felt like I had the ocean to myself and the boats clustered around the sporty seemed like such parasites. I went looking during the slack tide, There were lots of breaking tuna schools in all size ranges i'd say up to about 50 lbs. Being a solo guy with limited bait, I couldnt chum heavy or get my gear out in time. Still had a blast. Just go look and youll find them. (And please report afterward!)

2. Bring It On

Bring It On Bring It On Fishing

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Bring It On

:gay::repost:

3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good job on finding a paddy holding Yellowtail, all the one's we checked out were empty, with perhaps a small mark deep under them!

4. GarytheCPA

GarytheCPA Member

Name:
    Gary Craig
    Boat:
    36 BHM
    Likewise yesterday. We swung wide around the 14, saw few kelps, scummy current breaks, etc. Made the mistake apparently, of making a right to go fish Catalina, instead of the high - spots south.

Newport has fantastic bait. Seriously, the best I've seen in 2 years.

The quarry area had nice current where we caught, small bonito, legal but small calicos, and barracuda. All willing to bite the surface iron, all released.

5. jim isbell

jim isbell I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I would just add that IMO, nothing wrong with fishing down swell to a party boat--and their chum line, providing you are NO WHERE NEAR that boat. And there is no need to get in close, that big chum line you put out brings fish to them from a very long way, and that is where you can sit, not crowd anyone, and still get the benefit.

Ryan Gay likes this.
  6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Most people don't know how to find their own fish. It seems second nature to many people here, but then most people also don't read or post on bdoutdoors.

7. So Cal Adventure

So Cal Adventure Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    42 ft Bertram
    Agree that a respectful distance is acceptable, but the definition of respectful is where the conflict lies. And I respectfully disagree that a private boaters chum lines are seen as any benefit to open party boats, by the skipper. I'd be thrilled to hear of any Party boat captains who welcome the private boaters to come near and help with chum lines. (I dont wish to start a debate on this thread with my opinion, and I do respect other points of view.)

marlinda likes this.
  8. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    Misunderstanding, I was NOT saying that the private boater should "add' to the party boats chum line--I said, the private boater, standing down current a respectful distance FROM the party boat, bothers--no one. And on that note, I have had a spot, as a private boater "all to myself" when Party Boat captains, seeing me hooked up, flew in and damn near swamped me, and took my spot. And I have better moved--and of course did. Not too much concern out there for that deal.

Charlie Gordon and JFFISHING like this.
  9. jim isbell

Name:
    Jim Isbell
    Boat:
    Your are right, most people don't. Just talking about it, most people have jobs, and are lucky to get out in their boats even a few times a year. So they can't possibly keep up with the pros who do it for a living. Honestly, a lot of us, for that reason have learned just a bit about where to look, how to look, what to do. For example, if "Nacho" says "they are straight out, big school about ten miles"--I would say most people, including the pros, don't go elsewhere, and when they do go "straight out, about ten miles" and find that big school, most don't think "yeah, I really should find my own fish"

10. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I can empathize with that. But let me tell you, it's more fun to find your own fish, because even when you don't, the learning process makes it fun. As long as you go by yourself. But if you're trying to put friends & family on fish, yeah I can totally understand going where everyone else is. Hate to get the blame in those cases.

11. flyinverted

flyinverted Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Trojan F32
    If my CO2 paintballs aren't hitting you directly or via topwater bouncing , then you're far enough away.

FINATIC 21 and Lone Shark like this.
  12. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  13. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    Seals and ocean security lol. :D nice

14. the_3_bears

the_3_bears Papa of the 3 BEARS

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    50' Viking, BAD TUNA BONE
    Heard on the radio today that some yahoo was up in that area and ran right over a guy who was trolling and cut off three of his four lines. I'm ok working the same area, but guys need to watch what other boats are doing. I've seen idiots run right over a paddy and kill the bite that a sporty had going great. We always ask permission before we approach as it is just proper etiquette. Nothing wrong with an open bite...heck the sportys all work together

brokenseal likes this.
  15. Charlie Gordon

Charlie Gordon keeper of the groove

Name:
    Charlie Gordon
    Boat:
    Hammerhead
    I've been almost run down more than once by the sport's. What goes around comes around. Just sayin.

JFFISHING and Ryan Gay like this.
  16. Erawk

Erawk Get bent!

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    21' Sea Ray
    I've never had a wide open bite with another boat in sight. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it hasn't happened for me. My best days were when we were the only boat.

JFFISHING likes this.
  17. Ryan Gay

Ryan Gay Member

Name:
    Joe Ski
    Boat:
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    I don't have a paint gun, so I calculate safe distance by how far my 12 gauge safety flare gun round can go

Hardcor and Charlie Gordon like this.
  18. downtime

downtime I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ronson
    Boat:
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    It is alway said that private boats are fishing near sporties but in some cases the sporties are fishing near the private guy who found his own fish and attracted a mob. It's the ocean we are all out there for the same reason...

Hardcor likes this.
  19. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore

Charlie Gordon likes this.
  20. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore