manh3

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2011
san diego
Name
manh
Boat
nada
What was learned from this thread and from all of ya'll inputs.

1. It was an anomaly that we did not catch or get to fish with Captain Greg on the helm.

2. Our group that chartered the boat did not have an action plan or contingency plan for the day.

3. We did not communicate with the captain prior to leaving. ( our fault )

4. Know that if you're going to charter a boat be prepared to go big or go home because going on an individual overnighter is about 250-300 without tip, while chartering a boat is up in the thousands. One man's bum luck and shitty day in the water doesn't manifest like 28 anglers having the same shitty day.

Thank you all for reading this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
Unfortunately every so often there is not enough info for us to make an easy decision of either left or right as it was the other night. Rather than take my people to where there was bad info I'd rather take them to where there's no info.
For the only reason of finding the best fishing. My best advice. Research a boat and trust us. I live to catch fish and put my people on them. There's a thousand variables floating around all the time. On my boats fuel cost or distance is not an issue. We won't sell out to save a buck or take the easiest option. We work to please 1 trip at a time. To the angler from the trip get my info from John text me and ill get your nephew and his pops on a 1/2 day so they get some revenge
Ill talk to u soon
Have a great day,
Capt Greg

Hi Greg. How are you liking the Aztec? I used to work that boat in the 80's out of Queen's Warf for the Ashley's. I loved that boat as well as it's sister the Pacifica. What happened to her?
Anyway. I haven't jumped on a cattle boat it over 25 years. I'm thinking about going out just to see if any of the knife marks I made at 16 years old are still there. :)

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
Unfortunately every so often there is not enough info for us to make an easy decision of either left or right as it was the other night. Rather than take my people to where there was bad info I'd rather take them to where there's no info.
For the only reason of finding the best fishing. My best advice. Research a boat and trust us. I live to catch fish and put my people on them. There's a thousand variables floating around all the time. On my boats fuel cost or distance is not an issue. We won't sell out to save a buck or take the easiest option. We work to please 1 trip at a time. To the angler from the trip get my info from John text me and ill get your nephew and his pops on a 1/2 day so they get some revenge
Ill talk to u soon
Have a great day,
Capt Greg

you sound like a very stand up captain. and to come on here and state exactly what happened is great. I wish that was that case with my trip (not on your boat) another one. I had a shit trip (not really because the fishing sucked (which it did) because of MANY other issues.

Its actually great to see a captain come on here and talk about what happened. for sure you went to search (burned the fuel going the distance!) and it didn't work out. if it did though it would have been a whole different story I'm sure!!

I went on the New Lo An about 9 or so years ago and we went FAR on an overnight 100+ miles. but we got them!! YFT and Albacore.. back when there actually used to be albacore around!! sometimes the risk pays off and you discover a whole new batch of fish or something epic.

Either way its cool to see a captain come on and be so stand up about it. Good luck to the OP when you go back out!!!

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee

1. It was an anomaly that we did not catch or get to fish with Captain Greg on the helm.

2. Our group that chartered the boat did not have an action plan or contingency plan for the day.

3. We did not communicate with the captain.

4. Know that if you're going to charter a boat be prepared to go big or go home because going on an individual overnighter is about 250-300 without tip, while chartering a boat is up in the thousands. One man's bum luck and shitty day in the water doesn't manifest like 28 anglers having the same shitty day.

1. Any captain/boat can miss a school of fish this time of year, longer trips get more time to search.
    2. Captain knows best, I'd trust the captain as he's out there every day.
    3. Yes, should have asked the captain to come down and explain what is going on. I know Greg would especially show face to explain if he knew there was any question going on. He was probably really frustrated not being able to kill something and had every radio turned on and was watching the sonar like an eagle (he loves killing fish).
    4. I only fish charters! Open party can be a nightmare, you never know who you are going to get on the boat...
    5. Contact the captain or boat owner before flaming on the forums...
    6. Fish have tails
    7. The other boats were all sharing a single kelp, you weren't anywhere near them trying to find something new in the same type of water conditions those kelps were in. Fog made it very hard, the captain didn't know where the fog ended or when it would burn off. It happens.

Upvote 0

InRodWeTrust

Too blessed 2 be stressed
    Mar 8, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    Wes
    Boat
    Inflatable
    Never ever charter a boat buy a ticket on a overnight , 3 qtr day half day 3 day u get my drift , with out getting the float plan i call it bout where the boat is headed what waters type fishing you paid for a charter that trip you can tell the captain or suggest that everybody wants to go here or there . once again who paid for the charter . number one the captain shoul always have a few mins with the group face to face . thats professional . you dont think for one min say mr m keating doesnt have a powwow with his customers . b 4 that vessal leaves the dock. some boats are diff notb saying that cap and crew didint do their job o no . just some old school captains do a better job bar none . luv an fishes to all . b

What???

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
    Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet

3. We did not communicate with the captain prior to leaving. ( our fault )

Yep, you've got it figured out. Chartermaster and Cappy have to be on the same page and communication throughout the day is key. Without communication people tend to imagine the worst.

We have read some reports of some NASTY ass boats this season and the Aztec isn't one of them. You went fishing in a big Ocean that is always mostly devoid of fish. This is what the guy who fished the Aztec the very day before you said:

(in reference to a trip on 10/3)...Yea I saw his report and saw their group at the landing when we were getting in. we had to drive so far just to get those fish (limits). with such limited fishing time that very well could have been our fate as well. Regardless of what we caught I've never had a captain and crew that was so helpful and positive. one of my favorite boats for sure.

That is Tuna fishing...hours and hours of boredom and then one stop on a paddy that is holding and the whole trip is made in an hour. Fishing such a short trip (overnight) makes it that much more of a crap shoot.

Better luck next time. Soon, you will be salty and telling newbs complaining about a slow day or pick bite how you "stuck it out that one time and finally scored so keep a good 'tude..."

:)

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 5, 2003
    Temecula
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Your boat!
    What went wrong? The captain took a gamble and lost. If you've read the reports, you know that the fishing fleets of 3, 1/2 the long range fleet and every private boater in SoCal is out in the same area around San Clemente Island. You had a captain willing to look and fish in a new area. Had he hit the magic kelp or hit new schools of fish, this would have been a whole different report.
    I don't think anybody felt worse at not putting your group on fish than the captain and the crew of the Aztec. I know those guys, they take their fishing very seriously and if you don't catch fish, they take it personally!
    At best, you had a captain willing to take a chance to go find a new body of fish, at worst he took a chance and lost. I don't know any good captain, when the fishing isn't going well, try to put a positive spin on the situation.
    Better luck next time! Oh and by the way, they're still biting!

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Yep, you've got it figured out. Chartermaster and Cappy have to be on the same page and communication throughout the day is key. Without communication people tend to imagine the worst.

We have read some reports of some NASTY ass boats this season and the Aztec isn't one of them. You went fishing in a big Ocean that is always mostly devoid of fish. This is what the guy who fished the Aztec the very day before you said:

That is Tuna fishing...hours and hours of boredom and then one stop on a paddy that is holding and the whole trip is made in an hour. Fishing such a short trip (overnight) makes it that much more of a crap shoot.

Better luck next time. Soon, you will be salty and telling newbs complaining about a slow day or pick bite how you "stuck it out that one time and finally scored so keep a good 'tude..."

:)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    WORD!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Good afternoon guys,
    Capt Greg of the Aztec/Pride here.
    Very sorry it was slow on your trip. Time to clear up some nonsense though. The entire fleet had been fishing 2 kelp's for 8 days, they drifted out of 1 day range and we were unable to get to them yesterday. I mean 103 miles! I drove to 95 miles the day earlier way out of my range, as I always will. At a certain point it is not just expensive but it's also not doable on a 1 day trip. There are not enough hours in day. Yes a couple boats scored in a different area that shared kelp's with others as well as bumped into a few new fish.
    When fishing gets tough we go looking. If u work hard enough it generally pays off. This is fishing there are no guarantees. Trust me ( the guy who pays for the fuel) I wish I could idle out to 30 miles, catch limits and go home but It's not that easy sometimes.
    Quality captains find fish, they don't just go along with the sheep. If you want middle of the pack look elsewhere because being on the fish 99% of the time requires looking and 1% of the time it sucks. I'm sorry you didn't have the trip of a lifetime. I hope to see u next time. As long as the crew, the boat and the service was good that's all we can promise and will always strive for. Fishing is out of our hands sometimes.
    Oh and you didn't see the crew because they were on the roof all day working to find us fish with the binoculars. Tips have nothing to do with fish counts. These crew members work there ass off twice as hard with tough fishing and deserve to be treated so 20$-40$ per angler per day for those people who don't know is standard.
    Either way we were glad to have you guys aboard and hope the fishing is better next time. Sometimes you have to pay your dues.
    Thx capt Greg
    I will continue working my butt off for all you guys!
    This should be a sticky for all those to read before posting theyre cruddy fishing trip.Well said Greg,if it were me I would have ended with This is FISHING get a clue DAMNIT!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I totally agree with what you're saying about the boat, the crew and Captain Greg. I have stated that I would definitely get on it again. But you're incorrect about the counts, the overnights and 3/4 days limited or did very well the same day we went out. It wasn't just the 2 and 2.5 day trips. Please check my initial post for the exact fish count. I was assuming that we could rock fish as we were along the baja Ensenada, I'll attach a photo for you, this was taken at around 6am ish. If this is not baja, where the rock fishing is great not for first timer but for all of us, please correct me. This picture was taken before we headed towards the thick fog and where I saw other boats turn and head a different direction.

View attachment 548282
    Dude,that sunrise is priceless....

Upvote 0
    Oct 11, 2004
    Murrieta, California
    Name
    Forrest Phillips
    Boat
    Sold my Mako 171 Special after 24 great years of fishing and boating trips...so, no boat
    Ahi ready for searing courtesy of Captain Rick and the crew of the Aztec who found the fish. This was yesterday Oct. 6th (thank you fish gods).

photo 3.JPG

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    Pride/Aztec my favorite captain and crew....we have had the pleasure of fishing with this crew many times..did we kill em' every time? nope..did that stop me from going back? nope...did we kill em' the majority of times? yep! they are leaders, not followers...I'll take my chances with them and have no regrets...:goldfish:

BTW..I hooked up to a sweet Swordfish (my first ever) on that boat paving the way in heavy fog ;)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Jun 7, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    scotty
    Boat
    2310 parker, 5-trap
    I am sorry to hear that you had a bad trip but thats life and needless to say thats fishing! Its actually a blessing that a first timer didn't see a wide open bite because his expectations would be met! Pointing the finger at guys that absolutely work their asses off isn't a very cool thing to do. These guys have been grinding season after season to take people, families, buddies out to have a fishing trip of a lifetime. 99.9% of the time Greg succeeds at accomplishing this and it frustrates me when somebody wants to write a post like this one, question his integrity and the Aztec's name. He is consistently one of (if not THE) high-lining boat(s) and people from all walks of life gravitate toward him, his work ethic, and uncanny fishing ability.

I can see that your mad/ upset because you did not have a great trip but thats life! Death and Taxes, my friend. Aside from those two, nothing is a guarantee. However, I will say that I have been on several sport boats (i.e. Red Rooster III, Apollo, Qualifier 105, etc.) and yet the Aztec and Pride are my two favorite boats. I would fish those two rigs any day because of the class act that Greg runs. He named his first boat "Pride" because he always tells his crew to have some Pride in their work.

Lashing out at the Aztec is no way going to earn yourself respect in the fishing community. The Aztec isn't the lap of luxury; even though it may not have plasma screens in every stateroom (like the Intrepid) but it has the premier Capt. running it, it gets bit, has AMAZING crew members, theres always good memories made each year, great food, and the best service you will see on a boat. THESE are the reasons that keep me coming back time and time again. His crew could be working on any long-range boat/ multimillion dollar yacht of their choosing, but they choose to work for Greg (that is truly saying a lot about a boss). "Its not the arrow, but the Indian" -unknown.

If you want a guarantee at some fish you should go to the local fish market to get your moneys worth. I have worked in the fishing industry for a while now (managing a bait and tackle shop in San Diego) and I can't say I have had a single bad experience with Greg Gawitt and the top notch operation he runs. Theres good trip and bad ones and the crew can't control the fish but they can control the service. I don't have the slightest doubt that the service was there and nobody was more upset about the counts than the captain. Too often do people want to consolidate these two entities and will innately say, "the crew was bad" after the fish weren't biting. Could your emotions have driven you to do this? because I know with conviction that the Aztec and Pride that I have fished on, couldn't be farther from the information in your post. I won't even bother asking you to give that boat another shot because I do not sense any voice of reason/ logic from this post but to everybody else reading this- If you want to see So Cal fishing at its best, fish the Aztec or Pride.

I want to clarify one thing- I am not attempting to bash you. Instead I want people to see what other thoughts regarding this boat because there are great things to be said. I apologize for the novel but I am obviously passionate about these vessels and the impeccable crew they possess.

Reactions: mafrancis66
    Upvote 0

Shemp

May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Ocean Kayak, Cabo
    I fished on the El Dorado out of Pt Loma in August when the fishing was hot. Every boat in the fleet got limits or near limits, even the 3/4 day boats. But not the el Dorado. We got 5 tuna for 33 guys. Fortunately my son and I each got one, but what a bunch of crap. I felt really bad for the 28 guys who worked hard to save money for a trip, then chose this one. In my opinion the captain's ego got in the way. He never went the 16 mile run to where the fleet was nailing them, and never said anything to the customers. Just acted like the fish went away. What a dick. Most of the boats are talking and know where the fish are by about 10:00 in the morning and should make adjustments. I emailed the captain, and the dock, and neither had the courtesy to respond. I also, just wanted some kind of reply-what the f happened? You are doing teh right thing, just letting people know, and hopefully they won't go out on the Aztec (or the ElDorado) with their hard-earned money.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
    Sep 14, 2009
    Socal
    Name
    Debi
    Boat
    Wellcraft Coastal
    I emailed the captain, and the dock, and neither had the courtesy to respond. I also, just wanted some kind of reply-what the f happened? You are doing teh right thing, just letting people know, and hopefully they won't go out on the Aztec (or the ElDorado) with their hard-earned money.

you can't be serious..you emailed the captain, and the dock and asked them why you didn't catch any more than 2 tuna? :zelfmoord

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

djennings

Almost A Member
  • Jun 17, 2006
    Huntington beach
    Name
    David Jennings
    Boat
    Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
    My 3 favorite boats these days are the Aztec, Pride and Tribute. Seaforth Landing does it right in my opinion compared to the others

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
    Oceanside, CA, USA
    Name
    Mark Franics
    Boat
    Sold it!
    I fished on the El Dorado out of Pt Loma in August when the fishing was hot. Every boat in the fleet got limits or near limits, even the 3/4 day boats. But not the el Dorado. We got 5 tuna for 33 guys. Fortunately my son and I each got one, but what a bunch of crap. I felt really bad for the 28 guys who worked hard to save money for a trip, then chose this one. In my opinion the captain's ego got in the way. He never went the 16 mile run to where the fleet was nailing them, and never said anything to the customers. Just acted like the fish went away. What a dick. Most of the boats are talking and know where the fish are by about 10:00 in the morning and should make adjustments. I emailed the captain, and the dock, and neither had the courtesy to respond. I also, just wanted some kind of reply-what the f happened? You are doing the right thing, just letting people know, and hopefully they won't go out on the Aztec (or the ElDorado) with their hard-earned money.
    You can't even begin to compare the El Dorado to the Aztec... IMO they don't even play in the same league! But you are right...listen to one guys experience and go ahead and cross the Aztec off of your boat list... more room on the rail for those of us that know what a truly great operation Greg Gawitt runs at Pride/Aztec Sportfishing. Oh, and BTW, you didn't get a response from the Captain or the dock, because it wasn't worth their time to explain to you the difference between fishing and catching. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    This should be a sticky for all those to read before posting theyre cruddy fishing trip.Well said Greg,if it were me I would have ended with This is FISHING get a clue DAMNIT!

Then I suggest you shouldn't get into any service business. Classy response by the captain. Reaffirm the Aztec being one of my go to boats.

Upvote 0

Charles Engen

Oct 4, 2014
    Name
    art
    Boat
    pardoned
    I went on one charter last year and one fish was caught and it was a buddy of mine. We agreed we would split the jackpot if one of us won. Basically my buddy said we are just going to give it for a tip and that made no sense. Personally, if all I get is a boat ride why the heck would you tip??? ( I am not cheap either). If its a bad of fishing its a bad day. I know that. And if I worked on a boat I sure wouldn't expect a tip when no fish are caught! Your appreciation for being taken out fishing is in the TICKET YOU BUY! please anyone explain why you would tip when you don't enjoy the trip???

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I fished on the El Dorado out of Pt Loma in August when the fishing was hot. Every boat in the fleet got limits or near limits, even the 3/4 day boats. But not the el Dorado. We got 5 tuna for 33 guys. Fortunately my son and I each got one, but what a bunch of crap. I felt really bad for the 28 guys who worked hard to save money for a trip, then chose this one. In my opinion the captain's ego got in the way. He never went the 16 mile run to where the fleet was nailing them, and never said anything to the customers. Just acted like the fish went away. What a dick. Most of the boats are talking and know where the fish are by about 10:00 in the morning and should make adjustments. I emailed the captain, and the dock, and neither had the courtesy to respond. I also, just wanted some kind of reply-what the f happened? You are doing teh right thing, just letting people know, and hopefully they won't go out on the Aztec (or the ElDorado) with their hard-earned money.

I had a similar trip like yours in July on one of these perceived 'great' boats. 2 yft for 32 guys. The fleet crushed it that day. Including the Aztec and the 3/4 day San Diego. We were fishing near them but barely chummed. Crew limited the bait to save for the next trip. Those other boats made it rain with baits and drew all the fish to them. I felt bad for some guys that only had 1 trip in them and it was that trip. I knew I'd be fishing all Summer so I wasn't as bothered. But that was my first time and last time on that 'great' boat. IMO...the crew definitely phoned it in. And that's not a crew I'd want to spend money on.

Upvote 0

Charles Engen

Oct 4, 2014
    Name
    art
    Boat
    pardoned
    Thank God I've met buddies wit boats and just chip in for gas n bait. And yea when my friends find the fish I show appreciation. I would have been just as disappointed as you bro. Fishermen know fishing is fishing but still its nice for guys who don't fish much to catch anything. Best a luck next time!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Zigged instead of zagged it happens! sorry for your trip! Frustrating I know. Try running your own boat and you think you go to the best area and you get skunked!

Upvote 0