kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
Tips are part of every service industry you don't want to tip that's on you. Don't expect service though. Not on my boats because everyone gets treated like gold. But if you have that mentality try fishing on the pier they won't hold you accountable to tip. Good fishing or not
You tip on service not on fish counts. good luck with the frozen salted chovies

^^^ seems like including "tip" into cost of admission would eliminate this animosity. passenger knows what the trip will cost, crew knows how much they will make. everyones happy.
service industries are everywhere, is it standard to tip your lawn mower guy, the kid that bags your groceries, the butcher, how about the guys that load your truck at home depot. tow truck drivers, doctors, lawyers,fireman, cops, the guy who matches paint at the paint store.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Tips are part of every service industry you don't want to tip that's on you. Don't expect service though. Not on my boats because everyone gets treated like gold. But if you have that mentality try fishing on the pier they won't hold you accountable to tip. Good fishing or not
You tip on service not on fish counts. good luck with the frozen salted chovies
you can't make every buddy happy' tip's are for service only ' and catching is just A extra..............

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
One problem with adding the tip into the total cost of the trip is that 15% of the total goes to the landing and 15% goes to the bait barge. If done that way 30% of the tip disappears before it makes it to the crew. Also if the tip is paid in advance there is no incentive for the crew to put out any extra effort. On some boats it doesn't matter, they are a good hard working crew but on some it might matter. I would rather have it left up to me. If the crew works hard they get a good tip. If they spend all day fishing for themselves and treat me like crap I will tip accordingly.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
One problem with adding the tip into the total cost of the trip is that 15% of the total goes to the landing and 15% goes to the bait barge. If done that way 30% of the tip disappears before it makes it to the crew. Also if the tip is paid in advance there is no incentive for the crew to put out any extra effort. On some boats it doesn't matter, they are a good hard working crew but on some it might matter. I would rather have it left up to me. If the crew works hard they get a good tip. If they spend all day fishing for themselves and treat me like crap I will tip accordingly.

bait guys and landing people deserve to get tipped also right? or do the boat owners just pay the agreed fees and not tip. in my mind a tip is something that is given to anyone that goes above and beyond to provide service. but it sounds like in this business model there is a expectation of tip, regardless of performance.

Reactions: Knives and jacko
Upvote 0

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
WC
Name
Luis
Boat
none
What Greg says is very true. He doesnt like to be a follower. He finds his own fish... I too have questioned his methods, only to find that he was right haha. unfortuantely, greg cannot be 100% right on all his guesses of where the fish has gone, so u guys had an unlucky day. the best thing i can suggest for doing charters is to pick one early for july and august as others have said.

I went on the Pride, Voyager and Aztec this year and all 3 boats were amazing./... i love seaforth... makes me never want to see the other landings again...
If I'm paying good money to fish, I would be very thankful if the Captain would set his pride aside and be a "follower" to put me on fish.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
bait guys and landing people deserve to get tipped also right? or do the boat owners just pay the agreed fees and not tip. in my mind a tip is something that is given to anyone that goes above and beyond to provide service. but it sounds like in this business model there is a expectation of tip, regardless of performance.

I get yours and others point about who gets tips and who doesn't but as far as the guys working the bait receivers which private boater doesn't tip them? IMO that is always a good investment.

Kudos to Greg for giving his side.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I get yours and others point about who gets tips and who doesn't but as far as the guys working the bait receivers which private boater doesn't tip them?

Kudos to Greg for giving his side.

Actually hardly anybody really tips them. They nearly all bribe them by giving them the money beforehand.

The whole tip thing has gotten totally out of wack over the years (by myself included!)

A tip is given after service and to show appreciation for a job well done and maybe a little (or alot) over the norm.

A bribe is given before service is rendered, and basically saying " Hey, here ya go, now do me right and take good care of me!"

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Paisan

Mar 6, 2005
Valley Center
Name
Rob
Boat
44' Pacifica
Good afternoon guys,
Capt Greg of the Aztec/Pride here.
Very sorry it was slow on your trip. Time to clear up some nonsense though. The entire fleet had been fishing 2 kelp's for 8 days, they drifted out of 1 day range and we were unable to get to them yesterday. I mean 103 miles! I drove to 95 miles the day earlier way out of my range, as I always will. At a certain point it is not just expensive but it's also not doable on a 1 day trip. There are not enough hours in day. Yes a couple boats scored in a different area that shared kelp's with others as well as bumped into a few new fish.
When fishing gets tough we go looking. If u work hard enough it generally pays off. This is fishing there are no guarantees. Trust me ( the guy who pays for the fuel) I wish I could idle out to 30 miles, catch limits and go home but It's not that easy sometimes.
Quality captains find fish, they don't just go along with the sheep. If you want middle of the pack look elsewhere because being on the fish 99% of the time requires looking and 1% of the time it sucks. I'm sorry you didn't have the trip of a lifetime. I hope to see u next time. As long as the crew, the boat and the service was good that's all we can promise and will always strive for. Fishing is out of our hands sometimes.
Oh and you didn't see the crew because they were on the roof all day working to find us fish with the binoculars. Tips have nothing to do with fish counts. These crew members work there ass off twice as hard with tough fishing and deserve to be treated so 20$-40$ per angler per day for those people who don't know is standard.
Either way we were glad to have you guys aboard and hope the fishing is better next time. Sometimes you have to pay your dues.
Thx capt Greg
I will continue working my butt off for all you guys!

Classy response. Impressed.

Upvote 0

Tuna Vic

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Tuna fishing,when it's good its great,when it's bad,it's really bad! I was on a 3day tuna fishing trip where one day it was so bad we fished the closest island available, I won the jackpot on this "tuna trip" with a 6lb Calico,$360 and yes it all went to the crew.

Upvote 0

manh3

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2011
san diego
Name
manh
Boat
nada
Capitan Greg,

Thank for clearing things up and your input on the trip yesterday. I personally, understand how tough fishing could be will accept my skunk with tons of good memories and will ride definitely ride on your boat again as I liked everyone on there and liked your boat as a whole.

I know that the paddy that you guys were fishing was out of range and I didn't know what the charter master told you about his fishing goals as I don't know him, he's my brother in laws friend. The guys on the boat just wanted to know, that's why I asked on the thread.

1. Did we not purchase the needed visas
2. Why we kept going deeper into the fog while other boats broke off and went west. (From what I could tell)

Sorry about jumping into conclusions regarding your methods, I wasn't aware that you like to blaze your own path, that I understand and respect. I think you would of made us feel more comfortable if you announced that we were going for bigger size tunas then the days prior. The guys on board kept asking each other why you were announcing that we were fishing in territory that haven't been fished for over months now yet the recent fish counts have been so good. That's what made us feel uneasy and we felt like you were using the trip to scout for future trips. Now I understand.

Let's end this thread and keep things on great terms, I enjoyed the trip and loved the experience. I was being selfish when I posted this thread and meant no harm as you run a great operation, I just wanted my nephew and his dad to get on something cause they have never caught anything at all and they were not able to even get 5 minutes of fishing in. I'm taking him back out this Friday but he wants to do a half day or 3/4 before doing another overnight or anything longer.

Reactions: johndtuttle
Upvote 0

Paisan

Mar 6, 2005
Valley Center
Name
Rob
Boat
44' Pacifica

Always tip the guys at the bait receiver. I usually ask for 2 scoops of bait, and just fork over a $100 bill. The guys at the receiver remember me everytime I pull up, they are super helpful, including keeping my boat off the baitbarge so it stays in good condition, and I get treated well with nice bait everytime. That said, it surprises me to hear sporties talk about what is "expected" in the way of a tip. For a lot of years, I worked in the service industry and always just gave the best/friendliest service I could and hoped for, but never "expected" a tip.

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    how many naughty red marks would I have if we were still on the old like system...haha. It's just the truth dude. I might tip the galley, but no one untangled lines for me, got bait out, gaffed fish...etc. It was a boat ride.

I kinda see your point. It's like tipping your waitress when she never waited on you.

Reactions: bloodfart
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I had 2 fishing trips this year where we didn't do awesome.One trip we burned 91 gallons strictly paddy hopping....for 1 single dorado.Another we got a couple Yf and some small yt. My buddys all know that this is fishing.I would hate the thought of being blamed for not getting fish on the boat.

The trip you went on could have been the most epic fish killing trip ever,it just wasn't.
    To the captain of this boat, don't sweat this small internet stuff.I know the feeling of not catching....Its not always easy.

Upvote 0

PrideAztec

Jan 5, 2012
    San Diego ca
    Name
    Greg gawitt
    Boat
    Pride / Aztec
    Unfortunately every so often there is not enough info for us to make an easy decision of either left or right as it was the other night. Rather than take my people to where there was bad info I'd rather take them to where there's no info.
    For the only reason of finding the best fishing. My best advice. Research a boat and trust us. I live to catch fish and put my people on them. There's a thousand variables floating around all the time. On my boats fuel cost or distance is not an issue. We won't sell out to save a buck or take the easiest option. We work to please 1 trip at a time. To the angler from the trip get my info from John text me and ill get your nephew and his pops on a 1/2 day so they get some revenge
    Ill talk to u soon
    Have a great day,
    Capt Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Should have charted a 1/2 day boat to get the newbies on some fish....there is always next year

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
    Jul 30, 2012
    san diego ca 92117
    Name
    the brusier
    Boat
    21 ft stealh vip cc.
    Never ever charter a boat buy a ticket on a overnight , 3 qtr day half day 3 day u get my drift , with out getting the float plan i call it bout where the boat is headed what waters type fishing you paid for a charter that trip you can tell the captain or suggest that everybody wants to go here or there . once again who paid for the charter . number one the captain shoul always have a few mins with the group face to face . thats professional . you dont think for one min say mr m keating doesnt have a powwow with his customers . b 4 that vessal leaves the dock. some boats are diff notb saying that cap and crew didint do their job o no . just some old school captains do a better job bar none . luv an fishes to all . b

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Actually hardly anybody really tips them. They nearly all bribe them by giving them the money beforehand.

The whole tip thing has gotten totally out of wack over the years (by myself included!)

A tip is given after service and to show appreciation for a job well done and maybe a little (or alot) over the norm.

A bribe is given before service is rendered, and basically saying " Hey, here ya go, now do me right and take good care of me!"

The unknown fisherman:p:

Good point but it is only a bribe the first time. If you have bribed correctly the first time your remembered the next and then its officially a tip. :D

Reactions: @-EZ
    Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
    Apr 14, 2014
    Brea
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    qajaq
    Sorry it didn't pan out. My first trip was on the victory out of long beach back in march. Fishing was real slow and the captain blamed it on krill. I caught three small reds and a couple sand dab. Didn't keep anything, just fed the pelicans, lol. Drank some beers, had a good time, tipped the deckhand, and they have us 1/2 off next trip on his boat. Thinking about using it soon.

Upvote 0

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
    Ocean
    Name
    Jack mehoff
    Boat
    Your wife’s when your out of town
    You Didn't find anything thats what happened. The reason why your rookie anglers didn't catch fish or get to fish is because the boat didn't didn't find any fish. The reason why you are posting on BD is because you didn't find any fish. The reason whyyou didn't talk to any of the deckhands is because they were glassing the entire trip looking for fish. The reason why you talked to the pin heads and not deckhands is because they are more suitable to talk to passengers and less suitable to glass for fish, like the deckhands were doing. The reason why you have no complaints other than not catching fish is because Greg runs a good operation and usually cant force fish to jump the boat. The reason why you fished in fog all day is because the Aztec has not installed any anti-fog technology yet, and the fog is hard to outrun (yeah and fog for the first 5 hours of daylight is very common in the fog). The reason why your mad at Greg for telling you that every other boat is sucking a dick is because they were a lot of boats did have a bad that day and invoking a mutiny doesn't do any good for anybody, including the fish counts. The reason why you didn't go rock fishing is because it is very difficult to do in 4000 feet of water and their was more then likely no feasible place to do it within range of where you were fishing on a overnight trip.The reason why it appears that every other boat coming in Sunday night or Monday morning did good is because they were on 2 or 2.5 day trips and the fleet had a good day on Saturday. Its called fishing and you guys ate shit, it happens every once in a while.

Upvote 0

zman91

Sep 3, 2007
    Ocean
    Name
    Jack mehoff
    Boat
    Your wife’s when your out of town
    If you think people who work on boats are derelicts now, wait until tipping is eliminated. You would have a bunch of dirt bags who have never touched a fishing rod in their life working deck. In addition to having a group of unknowledgeable dumb asses working deck, the cost of your trip would increase 2 dollars for every one dollar the total crew compensation goes up due too all of the different entities taking a cut of the gross, because nobody is going to work for 100 dollars for a 20 hour day of hard physical labor. So until a new "sport boat fleet of the 21st century" is created, where tipping is not standard practice, tipping of a fair amount (not dependent on forces of god; like fish cooperating the day you were on the boat) is expected.

Reactions: ZHALVAJE
    Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
    Aug 16, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    flyhigh123
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    If I'm paying good money to fish, I would be very thankful if the Captain would set his pride aside and be a "follower" to put me on fish.
    Being a follower doesnt work.... Lets say boat a is on a ton of fish, by the time boat b gets to boat a, the fish are gone and now you've burned fuel trying to play follow the leader....

sometimes, the captains talk to each other and if the bite is stupid good, they will call in other boats and then its fine to go... otherwise, following someone else, you arent a really good captain...

Reactions: mafrancis66
    Upvote 0

manh3

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    san diego
    Name
    manh
    Boat
    nada
    You Didn't find anything thats what happened. The reason why your rookie anglers didn't catch fish or get to fish is because the boat didn't didn't find any fish. The reason why you are posting on BD is because you didn't find any fish. The reason whyyou didn't talk to any of the deckhands is because they were glassing the entire trip looking for fish. The reason why you talked to the pin heads and not deckhands is because they are more suitable to talk to passengers and less suitable to glass for fish, like the deckhands were doing. The reason why you have no complaints other than not catching fish is because Greg runs a good operation and usually cant force fish to jump the boat. The reason why you fished in fog all day is because the Aztec has not installed any anti-fog technology yet, and the fog is hard to outrun (yeah and fog for the first 5 hours of daylight is very common in the fog). The reason why your mad at Greg for telling you that every other boat is sucking a dick is because they were a lot of boats did have a bad that day and invoking a mutiny doesn't do any good for anybody, including the fish counts. The reason why you didn't go rock fishing is because it is very difficult to do in 4000 feet of water and their was more then likely no feasible place to do it within range of where you were fishing on a overnight trip.The reason why it appears that every other boat coming in Sunday night or Monday morning did good is because they were on 2 or 2.5 day trips and the fleet had a good day on Saturday. Its called fishing and you guys ate shit, it happens every once in a while.

I totally agree with what you're saying about the boat, the crew and Captain Greg. I have stated that I would definitely get on it again. But you're incorrect about the counts, the overnights and 3/4 days limited or did very well the same day we went out. It wasn't just the 2 and 2.5 day trips. Please check my initial post for the exact fish count. I was assuming that we could rock fish as we were along the baja Ensenada, I'll attach a photo for you, this was taken at around 6am ish. If this is not baja, where the rock fishing is great not for first timer but for all of us, please correct me. This picture was taken before we headed towards the thick fog and where I saw other boats turn and head a different direction.

20141005_065029.jpg

Upvote 0