Offshore 10-5 Aztec, what went wrong?

PENN

HeavyDrag

Oct 25, 2010
Vista Ca.
Name
Tom
Boat
You have to keep the entire story in context, I don't mind the skunk but it would of been nice for the boat to land any type of fish so that the "paying customers" especially new ones have a good experience. I didn't know that overnight trips are now 40lb tuna or bust trips. I know the crew did there best no doubt on that. So you're one of those guys that likes being lied too, I prefer honesty even if its not good news. If other folks are catching and we aren't cool, but I would like to know why and maybe what we did wrong so that we can prepare for it the next time.

As for your try it next time comment, well I don't fish for a living so I won't have that responsibility or burden. If you were to come to where I train jiujitsu at as a beginner, I wouldn't just smash you and be condescending to you because I have more experience. I would help by explaining my actions and what you're doing wrong. That's how you get people to embrace the art and come back and train. If you just smash them and give them a horrible experiences they never come back. I notice some that some folks who have had worked on boats have this condescending attitude towards newbies or those who don't have their own boats. Not all as most are cool but I have encountered some.

I paid my dues to the fishing gods and taking my nephew who went with me back out on a 3/4 day this Friday and hopefully our luck turns but if not I just want him to have a chance at fishing and not just a boat ride.

Try to jump on the San Diego out of Seaforth 3/4 day boat. Last weekend they hammered out 150 yft. One of my friends told me that the biggest fish was a 25lb dorado caught on the troll by a 10 year old kid. He said the crew helped him land the fish. He also said his dad had bigger eyes than his kid.

Reactions: Daniel cordova
Upvote 0

gnehekul

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
When is someone going to tell you to run your own sports boat?

I totally understand the hate getting lied to part

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Go on enough trips and you'll expect this to happen every now and then. Wish you could have got the newbies into some action. Earlier trip planned a month in advance, I went on with 5 others (2 new angler friends). Didn't catch many (one YFT) but good times. Even though counts for that boat 5 weeks up to that point and 4 days consecutively AFTER our trip crushed it. Already knew we were toast when my BD brother recorded a video of "THAT" guy peeling and eating a banana at the stern before the deckies even tossed the ropes off of the landing...May the almighty fish God shine on you for future trips, just don't piss them off! :profile:

Upvote 0

CrazyDonkey

Sep 4, 2014
Name
Ian
Boat
Linda Vista
No one can say for sure if the captain was lying or not. Boats could have limited on the last stop but prior to that they had found nothing all day. In general I think the captains on boats can be viewed as trustworthy and would not lie to you about that...but then again you never know.

I am orgainizing a 30 person charter for my air national guard unit and I plan to have more of a role in it than what I normally hear which is people pay money, show up and get on the boat, more like a private open party type feel than a charter. At the end of the day though you have to believe that captain is doing his best. They would rather kill fish first thing in the morning instead of driving all day for nothing.

Reactions: Knives
Upvote 0

Knives

Almost A Member
Jan 23, 2013
Whittier, Ca. USA
Name
Steven
Boat
Big Game Prowler 15
I understand what you're saying. A simple "Man... it's empty out here. I guess we should have followed the rest of the fleet." Would have sufficed. As for some guaranteed rock fish to get anything on the boat for first timers, the charter master should have let the captain know that was the game plan.
Maybe it was the charter masters decision to go for the YT/YFT. I went on an exploratory trip way early in the season and we had a great overnight boat ride. Only thing that was caught was 3 YT on the way back in. That's the way it goes, charter master decides, and sometimes it's a tough decision.

Reactions: CrazyDonkey
Upvote 0

jdrumz

So what, no fuckin ziti now?
Dec 14, 2007
Mira Mesa
Name
Joe
Boat
14' Valco
Any day on the water is still better than my best day at work...Just gotta love being out there, if your not catching fish, then catch a buzz. Go get em. Booger and the sandiego are top notch. Good luck brother

Reactions: Knives
Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
I wasn't in charge of the tipping but the guys already set aside in the beginning a tip of 400 dollars this did not include the possible filet fees. I'm cool with not catching any fish but really wanted my family members a chance to go fishing and not on a 24hr boat ride.

No, we didn't speak to the captain cause we believe he was telling us the truth about no one hooking up on fish. But we should of told him about going for easier rock fishing since we where already close by Ensenada.

What's up, Manh. Sorry to hear about this trip. I was checking the counts and saw the Aztec count. I was thinking what happened as they're always on fish and it was a good day for the fleet. Better luck next time man.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Sooooo
The real problem was when you got off the boat you weren't able to brag to your friends about how you killed em. Bruised ego....:shake:
Why didn't you just keep the attitude that "I had a great trip hanging out with the guys" and we didn't get into the fish today.
I'm guessing the reason the crew wasn't down on deck playing charades with you and your drinking buddies was because they were doing their damndest up top trying to spot kelps, breaking fish and any other sign in the fog. Try it some time and get back to us.

I need to quit clicking on these types of posts..... :zelfmoord

Hey Carl...guys that fish often like you and the majority of guys on here would get this and have no issues with a trip like this. But to expect beginners to have the same attitude is a little unrealistic. imho.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
I paid my dues to the fishing gods and taking my nephew who went with me back out on a 3/4 day this Friday and hopefully our luck turns but if not I just want him to have a chance at fishing and not just a boat ride.

What boat are you riding on bro? I was thinking about taking the day off. The San Diego has been killing it.

Upvote 0

Knives

Almost A Member
Jan 23, 2013
Whittier, Ca. USA
Name
Steven
Boat
Big Game Prowler 15
Hey Carl...guys that fish often like you and the majority of guys on here would get this and have no issues with a trip like this. But to expect beginners to have the same attitude is a little unrealistic. imho.
Exactly right. It could turn a lot of beginners off to the sport. It's like taking a kid to the pier and fishing for shark off the end. When you should be fishing for surf perch near the front.

Upvote 0

maxpowers

Jul 25, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
someday a 23' Striper
Manh,

Sorry about your trip man. Yeah the magic paddy dried up unfortunately and Greg opt to look for different waters. We were on a 2 day charters and saw the paddy. We opted to stay away and looked for new paddies

Upvote 0

PrideAztec

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego ca
Name
Greg gawitt
Boat
Pride / Aztec
Good afternoon guys,
Capt Greg of the Aztec/Pride here.
Very sorry it was slow on your trip. Time to clear up some nonsense though. The entire fleet had been fishing 2 kelp's for 8 days, they drifted out of 1 day range and we were unable to get to them yesterday. I mean 103 miles! I drove to 95 miles the day earlier way out of my range, as I always will. At a certain point it is not just expensive but it's also not doable on a 1 day trip. There are not enough hours in day. Yes a couple boats scored in a different area that shared kelp's with others as well as bumped into a few new fish.
When fishing gets tough we go looking. If u work hard enough it generally pays off. This is fishing there are no guarantees. Trust me ( the guy who pays for the fuel) I wish I could idle out to 30 miles, catch limits and go home but It's not that easy sometimes.
Quality captains find fish, they don't just go along with the sheep. If you want middle of the pack look elsewhere because being on the fish 99% of the time requires looking and 1% of the time it sucks. I'm sorry you didn't have the trip of a lifetime. I hope to see u next time. As long as the crew, the boat and the service was good that's all we can promise and will always strive for. Fishing is out of our hands sometimes.
Oh and you didn't see the crew because they were on the roof all day working to find us fish with the binoculars. Tips have nothing to do with fish counts. These crew members work there ass off twice as hard with tough fishing and deserve to be treated so 20$-40$ per angler per day for those people who don't know is standard.
Either way we were glad to have you guys aboard and hope the fishing is better next time. Sometimes you have to pay your dues.
Thx capt Greg
I will continue working my butt off for all you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
What Greg says is very true. He doesnt like to be a follower. He finds his own fish... I too have questioned his methods, only to find that he was right haha. unfortuantely, greg cannot be 100% right on all his guesses of where the fish has gone, so u guys had an unlucky day. the best thing i can suggest for doing charters is to pick one early for july and august as others have said.

I went on the Pride, Voyager and Aztec this year and all 3 boats were amazing./... i love seaforth... makes me never want to see the other landings again...

Reactions: mafrancis66
Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
i have a question. if a tip is standard and expected, why not roll in into the price to begin with? that way everyone involved knows what the trip will cost, and what crew will make.
this is a sincere question, not trying to be adversarial.

Upvote 0

Bucnasty

"Nastiest Hater" 2000
Aug 26, 2012
Newport,CA
Name
Vatch
Boat
Maybe one day
i have a question. if a tip is standard and expected, why not roll in into the price to begin with? that way everyone involved knows what the trip will cost, and what crew will make.

p6VJhKK.jpg

Reactions: wils
Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320

its hard because everyone wants to fish on a good boat with cheap prices... when you take a look at the day you want to fish and compare the boats prices which many people do... if this one said, no tip, but it was $40 more... you may 2nd guess yourself and go with the cheaper boat....

and honestly, not everyone tips...

i've run the numbers and these boats dont make that much money... i mean... like out of control...

charter like $3.5k(pride), 20 people, bait, and fuel, boat maint, salary's, not that much left for the owners.... Fuel prices these days, running 80 miles south, 160 round trip... i doubt the boat is getting even 1 mile per gallon, so you can do the math.

Reactions: mafrancis66
Upvote 0

PrideAztec

Jan 5, 2012
San Diego ca
Name
Greg gawitt
Boat
Pride / Aztec
Tips are part of every service industry you don't want to tip that's on you. Don't expect service though. Not on my boats because everyone gets treated like gold. But if you have that mentality try fishing on the pier they won't hold you accountable to tip. Good fishing or not
You tip on service not on fish counts. good luck with the frozen salted chovies

Upvote 0

jacko

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2005
San Diego
Name
E
Boat
25 ft Parker
Interesting reading. Makes me 5 times happier now to own my own boat. We also caught fish on Saturday so it sounds like I am extra smart.

Finally I am going to start demanding a tip from any of my guests on the boat. Even for driving them around the harbor. Sounds like $45 a person is in the right neighborhood.

Reactions: bloodfart
Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
Interesting reading. Makes me 5 times happier now to own my own boat. We also caught fish on Saturday so it sounds like I am extra smart.

Finally I am going to start demanding a tip from any of my guests on the boat. Even for driving them around the harbor. Sounds like $45 a person is in the right neighborhood.
Make fishing your living and start chartering, and I will 100% guarantee you that you will start asking for a tip.

I don't believe in the Tip System, but I pay my fair tips as that is what our culture has decided.

I once went to Japan, ate at a nice restaurant, left a 15% tip. Went back the 2nd day to the same place since the food was good, and the hostess came to me with a bag that had money in it and said that I left it from the previous night... Talk about an amazing culture...

Reactions: johndtuttle
Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Good afternoon guys,
Capt Greg of the Aztec/Pride here.
Very sorry it was slow on your trip. Time to clear up some nonsense though. The entire fleet had been fishing 2 kelp's for 8 days, they drifted out of 1 day range and we were unable to get to them yesterday. I mean 103 miles! I drove to 95 miles the day earlier way out of my range, as I always will. At a certain point it is not just expensive but it's also not doable on a 1 day trip. There are not enough hours in day. Yes a couple boats scored in a different area that shared kelp's with others as well as bumped into a few new fish.
When fishing gets tough we go looking. If u work hard enough it generally pays off. This is fishing there are no guarantees. Trust me ( the guy who pays for the fuel) I wish I could idle out to 30 miles, catch limits and go home but It's not that easy sometimes.
Quality captains find fish, they don't just go along with the sheep. If you want middle of the pack look elsewhere because being on the fish 99% of the time requires looking and 1% of the time it sucks. I'm sorry you didn't have the trip of a lifetime. I hope to see u next time. As long as the crew, the boat and the service was good that's all we can promise and will always strive for. Fishing is out of our hands sometimes.
Oh and you didn't see the crew because they were on the roof all day working to find us fish with the binoculars. Tips have nothing to do with fish counts. These crew members work there ass off twice as hard with tough fishing and deserve to be treated so 20$-40$ per angler per day for those people who don't know is standard.
Either way we were glad to have you guys aboard and hope the fishing is better next time. Sometimes you have to pay your dues.
Thx capt Greg
I will continue working my butt off for all you guys!

Good thing you didn't run out of beer. :D

Looking for paddies with 500' of visibility kind of helps tell "the rest of the story" also.

Upvote 0