10/30 -Thunderbird Record Bluefin

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Hey guys and gals,
I'm on the Davey's Locker email distribution list and got this email yesterday. Based on the email, this is the biggest BFT caught on the Thunderbird at 314 pounds. I'd say there's still a good chance of landing a super cow this season.

This guy certainly got his money's worth.:rockin:

Im not affiliated...just found it interesting.

Hi Everyone
Maybe some of the best quality tuna fishing of the year going on!! Big bluefin tuna from 60-140 lbs being caught, even larger ones getting hooked just having tough time landing them on board.

Weds Oct 30 the Thunderbird caught Davey's Locker's largest Bluefin tuna weighing in at 314 pounds!

Captain Brian Kelly & passenger Mark Lawler aboard the Thunderbird landed this record breaking tuna ever caught at Davey’s Locker going back to 1958! (see photo...)

We have report today (11/02/19) that the Thunderbird is battling the big bluefin tuna again on their 1.5 charter with 8-9 tuna landed up to 130 lbs and many many more hooked. One guy has been hooked up for over 5 hours and was still fighting the fish when we received morning report. The charter group is fishing lighter line 20-25 lb test and big bluefin tuna are doing some damage. They will be fishing until dark today so will be interesting to see their final count.

We have the Thunderbird on some open party 1.5 Day big bluefin tuna trips for this week and weekend. We highly recommend 40-50 lb spectra with fluoro top shot and 2 speed reels for the big bluefin tuna. Bluefin are biting fin baits both on the kite/balloon and just fly lining.

20191103_083004.jpg

20191103_082938.jpg

HBtunatime

Popper Man
May 31, 2019
HB
Name
Collin
Boat
12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
I was on that 2 day, I'll copy and paste what I write in another thread.

Pray for as much kite time as possible or that you get extremely lucky on the flat fall. Was on the 2 day Thunderbird and we were behind SCI and got a 173 and a 313 on the first kite rotation then nothing after that. Got a couple biters on smaller colt snipers and live squid with 0.5 ounce to 3 ounce sliding sinkers. Don't think a single sardine or mackerel got bit. But those were the smaller models maybe 40-60 pounds. 1 guy got spooled on 30 lb test. We only landed 1 squid and 1 colt sniper with 2 or 3 lost I think. Good luck!

Oh and almost forgot there was 1 bite on the flat fall our second morning probably between 5-530 am before grey light somewhere around desperation reef, it was pitch black. Lost it but I never heard how

Yeah I was hoping for a big boy but getting them to bite was tough. We found a lot of schools but getting a bite was the hard part. Had to drop line size and then it was either get broken off or spooled...

20191029_162948.jpg 20191029_165116.jpg

HBtunatime

Popper Man
May 31, 2019
HB
Name
Collin
Boat
12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
The super cow lost his tail to a big blue shark, and a little bit of meat right in front of the tail