PENN

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
left San Pedro bait with a healthy half scoop of not so cured dines. but all good. plan was to hit backside west end of Cat with my buddy and his son. left Pedro around 730 and on our way.
turn The west end and we decided to continue south toward Clamente a bit. ended up 15 slight NW but mostly West of the island. didn’t see but a handful of boats trolling around.
we found a large paddy that thankfully offered up 10 rat yellows. i say thankfully because we had a kid on the boat on his first “offshore” trip. so open water paddy fishing for his first time, with hookups, was fun for all but instructional as well.
we didn’t. want to burn the day out there so we blasted back to Cat. one drift near Eagle rock for a couple bonita and a bass.
finished our day for a couple hour wide open bonita bite with some calico in the mix, below johnson rocks. chunking our dead and fishing dead was just fine!;). they love the colt sniper too.
a little swimming and we were back at the harbor at 345pm.
bought a twelve pack at the fuel dock (we didn’t taken anything beer with us fishing!!) and we drank that while drifting the harbor till the sun went down.
absolutely perfect, fantastic day with my buddy and his son.
fish cleaning and mexican food in my yard till 10!!!
have a great week everyone.

Upvote 0

gpad77

Jul 31, 2020
Palos Verdes
Name
Greg Padilla
Boat
FBC
Great day! thanks for sharing. We had a nearly identical plan (and hopes) for the day (Saturday, 10/3) out of Pedro. Arrived to docks at 5:30am, loaded up on 'dines and sat in harbor near breakwall for a few hours waiting for fog to break. Followed a sporfisher out at 7:30am hoping the fog would thin out in the channel but visibility was so bad we got about 5 miles out and turned back as we had a 2pm hard stop on the day. Could only see 100 yards. SIMRAD got us home on our 25' center console but no radar had me white knucking it at 5-10 knots. Did the fog break at the island? About how far out? We had a "better safe than sorry" mindset but sounds like we just wimped out?

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
The fog was ridiculous in spots !! West end of Catalina and Clemente cleared out but late afternoon rolled back in !!

Reactions: gpad77
Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
it cleared about 5 miles out.
the balance of the day was beautiful.

i respect your discussion to not go forward. smart and I wish all skippers would respect the fog the same. i’ve put myself and my kids in some scary situations that I promised myself to never do again.

Upvote 0

djennings

Almost A Member
  • Jun 17, 2006
    Huntington beach
    Name
    David Jennings
    Boat
    Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
    Great trip! Thank you for the report. I bet all 3 of you slept like rocks that night! Foggy day, I was on the front side near Lil Gibralter.

Upvote 0