PENN

kdrouet

Sep 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Dude
Boat
M40 Knight and Carver
Decided to do something a little different and my buddy Rusty and I decided to jump on the 1.5 day trip on the PACIFICA to fish the big BFT. Since we know that Captain Andrew is a fishy guy and wanted to fish the BIG BFT, we ended up booking the trip instead of taking out my boat, the Arjuna.

The trip didn’t disappoint and we were rewarded with 2 quality fish, 140-160 lb fish and another one, approximately 220 lb. Our fish were caught on our own flying fish, rods and balloon rigs. We ended going 2-4 on the big BFT.

The boat ended up with around 10 kite fish, with the biggest one around 300 lb. the length of the 300 lb was 82 inches by 54.5 inches. It was weighed at Seaforth and came in around 278 lb gilled and gutted, which equates to about 301 lbs.

The fishing was tough on the big fish, only a couple were hooked on bait, flyined and sinker rigged. The bigger fish came about 2 miles from the high spot of the Cortez Bank.

We did do some fishing on the high spot, anchored with the fleet to catch 10-25 lb BFT and a bunch of YT on the yo-yo iron and bait.

I highly recommend this boat if you are set on catching a fish of a lifetime.

I have uploaded a couple of videos and pics.

BC00C9D8-7CA5-4FA4-85FE-A3D185AE69EA.jpeg

9C71E133-C226-4B29-8186-259FB45D6350.jpeg

D892E96F-BE96-4AAA-97DB-0D5AA726189C.jpeg

Upvote 0

JohnnyJ

Jan 11, 2015
Jurupa Valley
Name
N Johnston
Boat
1986 Shamrock
Awesome job dude!!!!! You have put in so much work you deserve that fish. Let's put one on the deck of the Arjuna!!

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Sweet ass trip that what up! Way to go beast mode on the boat! :appl:

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Awesome job you Legends! Great Catch !

someone just showed me a picture of the future and there are 15 SKB tackle boxes littered across the deck with their own Helium tank holders... 8-)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
    Aug 4, 2011
    Vista
    www.cafishingnews.com
    Name
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat
    11' SportCat Truline
    Stoked for you and Rusty, Keith. Thanks for the report.

As far as fishing your own balloon/flyers, were you using a separate rod for the balloon or just putting it on the bait line? Any other details about the rig you don't mind sharing?

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
    Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    Hard to tell from the vid. Did that fish in the 2nd vid have a tag? Maybe it was one of Ali’s catch and release fish ????

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Decided to do something a little different and my buddy Rusty and I decided to jump on the 1.5 day trip on the PACIFICA to fish the big BFT. Since we know that Captain Andrew is a fishy guy and wanted to fish the BIG BFT, we ended up booking the trip instead of taking out my boat, the Arjuna.

The trip didn’t disappoint and we were rewarded with 2 quality fish, 140-160 lb fish and another one, approximately 220 lb. Our fish were caught on our own flying fish, rods and balloon rigs. We ended going 2-4 on the big BFT.

The boat ended up with around 10 kite fish, with the biggest one around 300 lb. the length of the 300 lb was 82 inches by 54.5 inches. It was weighed at Seaforth and came in around 278 lb gilled and gutted, which equates to about 301 lbs.

The fishing was tough on the big fish, only a couple were hooked on bait, flyined and sinker rigged. The bigger fish came about 2 miles from the high spot of the Cortez Bank.

We did do some fishing on the high spot, anchored with the fleet to catch 10-25 lb BFT and a bunch of YT on the yo-yo iron and bait.

I highly recommend this boat if you are set on catching a fish of a lifetime.

I have uploaded a couple of videos and pics.

View attachment 1218582

View attachment 1218583

View attachment 1218584

Do you have a picture of you flying fish balloon rigging?

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Arjuna catch a big fish too!

Upvote 0

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
    Jul 6, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Game On
    @kdrouet why not just run your boat out there. Was it a hands thing, a time thing, or something else? Pretty sure you have the fuel capacity and I believe it was calm. Just trying to better understand your logic here. Thanks.

Upvote 0

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
    @kdrouet why not just run your boat out there. Was it a hands thing, a time thing, or something else? Pretty sure you have the fuel capacity and I believe it was calm. Just trying to better understand your logic here. Thanks.
    It was a last minute decision to jump on the Pacifica. We considered taking Keith's boat, but could not pull together a crew to offset the expenses and other demands of taking out a large private boat with just 2 guys. The better decision was to jump on the Pacifica and it paid off and we got 18 hours of sleep.

Upvote 0