PENN

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
Sorry for the extatisism, but I am besides myself! 2nd Hoo on the Deck of Odin-N- Salty Today. Was Skunked on Friday boxing the nine from well past N Nado to Far side of North 9 for 80 miles ant 12 hours.

Today, was on a Fence mending trip with a Buddy who needed some love. He drove down from L.A. at 3:30 we hit Mission Bay Dana Landing @ 4:50, breakwater at 5:30ish. Set course for N. 9, today was going to be down and dirty cause I had to be back by 3 pm. Dropped Maraders at 4 miles out there was the most SPECTACULAR SUNRISE I had seen in a while and I snapped some shots.

At the 9 my buddy says I heard a reel screem, I did not but I am kind of deaf. At 1.35 miles past the N. 9, doing 8.5 knots, the little troller went off. It was armed with 300 yards of 60 mono and the rest 100 spectra. I grabbed the rod, and yelled fish on and told buddy to drop to 4 knots. I told buddy to put on Auto Pilot (bungee cord) and get down off fly bridge. He does and comes down and starts clearing the other rods, mean while fish is going ballistic with deep dives and head shakes. Buddy makes sure no boats in way and asks what he can do.

At this point I have the fish slowly coming towards the boat, I hand my Bro the pole, tell him point it at the fish and reel. I drop down to idle but leave in gear. At this point wahoo decides to go for a run and peels out 6o yards in a flash and heads down. My buddy lets him come to a stop and starts working him back. He quickly comes to color and then the surface. I tell my buddy to reel and step back cause the leader is on the eye, the fish swings around I put the gaff in his neck and pull him up, He was at an angle and I could feel my gaff bend, I swung myself 90 degrees and pulled, fish on deck. I think about 25 minutes hook-up to deck. All done by 9 am and back at the docks by 11. Water was 74.6 at the strike.

Oh what a year!! I hope you all get yours!!

Tight lines diego.

20151025_070313.jpg

20151025_065022.jpg

20151025_123832.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

obtunaman

Mar 8, 2006
Point Loma
Name
Lonie
Boat
17' Invader open bow
Lucky-youHoo! We were all over this morning washing our marauders! We heard someone had a hoo around 9 or 10

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
That really is a cool feels good to be alive sunrise pic.....wahoooo!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
At the 9 my buddy says I heard a reel screem, I did not but I am kind of deaf. At 1.35 miles out of the jetty towards the 9, doing 8.5 knots, the little troller went off. It was armed with 300 yards of 60 mono and the rest 100 spectra. I grabbed the rod, and yelled fish on and told buddy to drop to 4 knots.

Stoked you got Wahoo number 2, but I am a little confused by what you said in this report. You stated above "At the 9 my buddy says I heard a reel screem, I did not but I am kind of deaf." So were you now on the 9 mile bank at that point?

The reason I ask is because next you say this...... "At 1.35 miles out of the jetty towards the 9, doing 8.5 knots, the little troller went off. It was armed with 300 yards of 60 mono and the rest 100 spectra. I grabbed the rod, and yelled fish on and told buddy to drop to 4 knots."

So I am just trying to clarify and figure this out....... did you actually get bit and catch this fish only about a mile and a half out of Mission Bay jetty?

I've been hearing some things, and am pretty sure there are some hoo lingering in much tighter than where most of us would consider looking for hoo or want to fish...... and in the green dirty water as well.

Let us know if you could, as it's good info to have to try and constantly throw little pieces at the puzzle.

Last question....... what was the water color.

Thanks Amigo....... congrats again!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
Yea sorry at the 9 mile was first strike, see result below. At 1.35 past the 9 was.the hook up. My reference point was b lime from MB to the North 9.

20151025_174344.jpg

Upvote 0

Old Blue

Almost A Member
May 12, 2005
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
23 Blackman, Old Blue
A good friend on board.
A nearly unbelievable sunrise.
And a killer fish on the boat.

It doesn't get any better than that! Soak it up.

Reactions: jaw1970
Upvote 0

tommysdad

May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
So I am just trying to clarify and figure this out....... did you actually get bit and catch this fish only about a mile and a half out of Mission Bay jetty?

I've been hearing some things, and am pretty sure there are some hoo lingering in much tighter than where most of us would consider looking for hoo or want to fish...... and in the green dirty water as well.

My brother & his buddy got a smallish (~35-40 lb.) wahoo at the 270 this morning right around 8am on an Orange & Black Yozuri. He went there because he got bit off by two wahoo on Friday while rockfishing (lost a small Flatfall & a big Halco). On Friday, he didn't have any wire -- he was rockfishing. . . They were prepared this morning.

Interesting (to me anyway): stomach had just one baitfish in it: the front 2/3's of a lizard fish. I had once been told that wahoo tend to bite off the back end of bait fish and come around for a second pass to eat the front half. Not this fish.

Kind of cool to get a text of a fresh 'hoo on the deck. Yes, they're that close.

Upvote 0

SO_CAL_VIC

May 20, 2014
Name
victor duarte
Boat
bassbegrooven
Nice one Ted.... The Odin is a hoo machine.. Too bad josh couldn't hook up on Friday.

Upvote 0

tamezjos

Got Fish?
Jun 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
23 Custom
Ted... THEY ARE PELAGICS !!!!! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE !!!! (inside joke)

Congrats again my friend.... You are a beast !

Upvote 0

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
Thanks Guys, I have a gut feeling that the Odin-Salty has one more hoo slated to make the deck bloody before they are gone!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting for the skinny to hook up!

Tight lines, Diego

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Very solid report, congrats on an awesome day with your bro!

Dang that wahoo steak looks so yummy, damn you for showing that (and stupid me for looking 3 hours after dinner).

Upvote 0

Captfishkiller

Almost A Member
Jun 27, 2008
Oceanside/Ca/USA
Name
Tony Domenico
Boat
36 Jersey "No Worries"
I've caught two so far and both were in less then 300 ft of water, one was 150 ft of water
I think they come in and chase the bait fish around, same place we catch macks

Upvote 0

Diego-Ted

Almost A Member
Jun 13, 2015
Name
Ted
Boat
ODIN SALTY
Yes I think it is Veg all, added 1/3 stick of butter and was yummy!! LOL This was the first hooo, Puerto Nuevo Style! Damn I am making myself hungry!

20151019_172423.jpg

Upvote 0