GringoJustin
Nov 26, 2005
Somewhere between San Diego and Yelapa
Name
Justin Ryan
Boat
Mi Sueño/Aztec/Apollo
...and one really big one.

Fished on the Aztec 1.5 for some fun BFT fishing. Right at grey we stopped on a school and I got lucky enough to start the party with a bite on the jig. 3 or 4 more fish hung, unfortunately mine was the only one that hit the deck. Right around 150. About 20 minutes from bite to deck with a UC Viper, Mak 16, 100# Blue label fluoro and drag set to "Choate" at strike. After Making windons all night I went to my rack after that drift. I woke up mid day to hear we had one more BFT in the RSW and watch them play around with the green stick and skip the yummy. No love on the rubber Jesus but we slid on a mixed breezer for some nice grade yellowfin. 3 hooked. One lost at color, 40-50lb. Spit the jig at color. A 35-40 pounder on deck and not sure what happened to the 3rd. Couple breezers later with the sky turning orange we found one that wanted to play. Good response on bait, blowing up around the boat. I flylined 6 baits on 60lb. Caught three 50-60+ pound BFT. We ended up with 18 on that stop once the smoke cleared. Bit into the dark. Looked around for another school to stop on for a while but with nothing showing up on sonar we pointed for home and sat down for some steak, potatoes and fishing stories. Great trip. Now it's time for me to go back to work.
Same thing but I'll be trading in my rod for a gaff and a deck brush.
Fished 10-15nm S of SCI
Water 69-70*
23 passengers 21bft, 1yft
Flat no breeze
Small and waxing
Saw a group of 4 sleepers and a couple solos for those of you who are into that thing.
Big thanks to Okuma, Phenix, 310, Greg and the entire crew of the Aztec.

IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0508.jpg

Last edited:

mberggre

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
...and one really big one.

Fished on the Aztec 1.5 for some fun BFT fishing. Right at grey we stopped on a school and I got lucky enough to start the party with a bite on the jig. 3 or 4 more fish hung, unfortunately mine was the only one that hit the deck. Right around 150. About 20 minutes from bite to deck with a UC Viper, Mak 16, 100# Blue label fluoro and drag set to "Choate" at strike. After Making windons all night I went to my rack after that drift. I woke up mid day to hear we had one more BFT in the RSW and watch them play around with the green stick and skip the yummy. No love on the rubber Jesus but we slid on a mixed breezer of some nice grade yellowfin. 3 hooked. One lost at color, 40-50lb. Spit the jig at color. A 35-40 pounder on deck and not sure what happened to the 3rd. Couple breezers later with the sky turning orange we found one that wanted to play. Good response on bait, blowing up around the boat. I flylined 6 baits on 60lb. Caught three 50-60+ pound BFT. We ended up with 18 on that stop once the smoke cleared. Bit into the dark. Looked around for another school to stop on for a while but with nothing showing up on sonar we pointed for home at sat down for some steak, potatoes and fishing stories. Great trip. Now it's time for me to go back to work.
Same thing but I'll be trading in my rod for a gaff and a deck brush.
Fished 10-15nm S of SCI
Water 69-70*
23 passengers 21bft, 1yft
Flat no breeze
Small and waxing
Saw a group of 4 sleepers and a couple solos for those of you who are into that thing.
Big thanks to Okuma, Phenix, 310, Greg and the entire crew of the Aztec.

View attachment 877019 View attachment 877020
Nice to see you get one on the jig. I spent 8 hours fishing a JRI with you in PV this year. Are you fishing the 7ft viper.

Reactions: Hardcor

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat
None
Nice. Don't need a flat fall to get bit on the jig...

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
I was crying when I saw the reports yesterday... I was booked to go on it, and Monday was my birthday, but work got in the way and I had to cancel.

Great job... Pretty awesome trip for late October, and the big one was a beaut!

Finally got to clear the schedule, so it going out tonight. Looks like a full or nearly full boat, but am hoping for the best.

Taking my GoPros, so if nothing else should get some good video.

Aztec seems to have the hot hand.

Reactions: BrokenBackRebel

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Nice Justin!! Greg gave you a little time off to smash some Tuna.

You guys don’t screw around, and when you do, you don’t screw around!

Last edited:

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Team Salty Dream
So how many lbs of drag is “Choate”.

BrokenBackRebel

GringoJustin
Nov 26, 2005
Somewhere between San Diego and Yelapa
Name
Justin Ryan
Boat
Mi Sueño/Aztec/Apollo
So how many lbs of drag is “Choate”.
A lot. Perfect connections on 100# can take a lot of pressure. There was also a lot of playing around with the drag during the fight. Lots of pressure when I can get away with it, very little when he's got the upper hand or I find myself in a hairy situation. I.e. Getting around the bow, the bottom of the boat, fellow anglers. Just tapped her out to 184.6. I shortchanged myself.

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Great Report & Awesome Trip....just curious if each of the 23 Anglers on board caught a Blue Fin Tuna?