Offshore 10/22 San Salvador-East Butterfly

PENN
Sep 11, 2014
Name
Raymond Vasilas
Boat
Glacier Bay Canyon Runner
Went offshore today, there was a good swell out there. Left SD and headed toward the 371. Nada. Decided to keep heading west. Paddy's were few and far between so we started trolling. Picked up a bonito on a blind strike near San Salvador knoll. 30 minutes later another blind strike, landed a small dorado. Kept trolling, now towards east butterfly. The daisy chain went off, this was a bigger fish. Moments later we boated a 40# yft! I wasn't expecting any tuna this close(40 miles) so we were all pumped. Trolled the area a bit more with no luck. Kept heading west. Spotted a nice paddy so we trolled passed it. Triple hook up with 5# yellowtail. Stopped the boat to reel in the fish, then it was game on. The paddy was loaded with dorado. Got our limits within 30 minutes. Decent sized fish too. I will follow up with pictures. My brother and friend have all of the pics. I wanted to get the report posted ASAP for anyone looking to fish tomorrow. I appreciate everyone that posts info on the site so I wanted to return the favor.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Great job!! Pig tuna for area!! The knoll has been good. Be on there Friday !!! Heard of two big eye out there. But only one report. See you out there!!!

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Name
Raymond Vasilas
Boat
Went offshore today, there was a good swell out there. Left SD and headed toward the 371. Nada. Decided to keep heading west. Paddy's were few and far between so we started trolling. Picked up a bonito on a blind strike near San Salvador knoll. 30 minutes later another blind strike, landed a small dorado. Kept trolling, now towards east butterfly. The daisy chain went off, this was a bigger fish. Moments later we boated a 40# yft! I wasn't expecting any tuna this close(40 miles) so we were all pumped. Trolled the area a bit more with no luck. Kept heading west. Spotted a nice paddy so we trolled passed it. Triple hook up with 5# yellowtail. Stopped the boat to reel in the fish, then it was game on. The paddy was loaded with dorado. Got our limits within 30 minutes. Decent sized fish too. I will follow up with pictures. My brother and friend have all of the pics. I wanted to get the report posted ASAP for anyone looking to fish tomorrow. I appreciate everyone that posts info on the site so I wanted to return the favor.
Here are those pics I promised. As far as the numbers, I didn't mark the exact spot, we were on a course from San Salvador knoll to east butterfly. 3/10 of the way there. Water temp was 69.3. Hope that helps.

10:22 San Salvador Dorado.jpg

10:22:14 San Salvador Tuna.jpg

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Sweet! Thanks for the timely report.....makes my "where to fish" decision for Friday that much easier. :D

Reactions: @-EZ
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Name
Raymond Vasilas
Boat
The Navy was doing some kind of testing too. Saw a small rocket, moving horizontally, fly right over the Paddy. Minutes later there were a couple of explosions. We were all hooked up and looked at eachother like, wtf is going on. It was mayhem.

Upvote 0

24pack

Oct 3, 2007
chula vista
Name
chris S.
Boat
2014 Proline 23sport
We meet at the bait barge yesterday we had the 19ft Arima , good going on the Yellowfin and Dodos. I posted out a report as well so others can get an idea where the fish are or in our our case where not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Name
Raymond Vasilas
Boat
Is tha
We meet at the bait barge yesterdaywe had the 19ft Arima , good going on the Yellowfin. I posted out report as well so others can get an idea where the fish are.
t you "Bearded Clam"? We tried calling you. oh well, how did you do at the 43?

Upvote 0

kdrouet

Sep 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Dude
Boat
M40 Knight and Carver
We are going to try our luck tomorrow around the East Butterfly. There is a nice temp break between the Knoll and butterfly.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Nice yellowfin!

Upvote 0

ironnutts

Feb 18, 2007
san diego
Name
FisherMinh
Boat
20ft trophy
Don't let temp fool u I heard people on radio in 72.2 water for rat yt while I was in 69.8-70.3 loading up ...small kelp but was super super super loaded

Upvote 0