10/20 Catalina Wahoo!

BretFarewell

Aug 2, 2014
Name
Bret Hudzietz
Boat
44 Pacifica
After hearing all the Wahoo chatter my dad and I decided we'd finally had enough and it was time to go out and capture ourselves a US waters Wahoo! Monday I decided to get new line put on all of our trolling reels, picked up an orange X Rap along with a few other lures and we were ready to go.

We left Alamitos Bay around 5am, grabbed a good scoop of 'dines from Nacho and made some mackerel (although my first sabiki hit was a bonito!) Our plan was to troll outside of the 9 mile rigs and then either head towards the east end of Catalina or the 14. Nothing was happening at the rigs so around 9:30 we turned towards the east end. On the way we saw a few whales, a ton of porpoise and 1 paddy loaded with micro tails but nothing else. It was fun catching one of them on 6lb. line and a Colt Sniper though!

Chatter was that the flat bottom boats outside of Avalon were seeing Wahoo on their daily tours between Avalon and Lover's Cove and that most fish were caught in 200-500 feet of water close to the island. Also thank you to Joe at Performance Tackle for some Wahoo whereabouts insight! We were trolling a cedar plug and black/pink wahoo bomb on the outriggers, an orange X Rap and pink Mack X Rap on each corner and a pink Marlin lure down the middle. Forgot to mention that after trolling around the rigs I brought in the X Rap and it had some fresh Wahoo teeth marks but it wasn't even enough to get the clicker on the reel to go off. Later in the day we saw more of these marks on 2 of the other lures too. They sure know how to attack without getting hooked!

Around 1pm I was trolling towards the rock quarry on the east end about 1 1/2 miles off, 350-400 feet of water when the orange X Rap gets slammed. The reel screamed for about 5 seconds then silence. Dammit! I see the lure up on the surface so I go to reel it in. At this point we had slowed the boat down to about 6 knots. As I start reeling it in the middle rod as if in slow motion starts to bend more and more and then line, slowly at first, then full on screaming starts peeling off. The pink Marlin lure is on! My buddy fought the fish for about 10 minutes and then I stuck a head shot with the gaff. 50lbs on a certified scale, Catalina Wahoo!

The Marlin lure was pretty far back compared to the other lures and the water temp was 74.1 degrees. During the day we saw 2 other hoos zip across the surface a couple hundred yards away. What a year! Just stoked to have landed at least one. Until next time!

Not to mention it was my 4 month old daughter's first trip to sea, she must be good luck! And yes, all tails were released.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Awesome, Nice work!

Reactions: BretFarewell

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Nice fish! Thanks for the report.

How are you cutting thru the spine so clean? Hack saw?

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
All it takes is one, GAME CHANGER!

BretFarewell

Aug 2, 2014
Name
Bret Hudzietz
Boat
44 Pacifica
Nice fish! Thanks for the report.

How are you cutting thru the spine so clean? Hack saw?
My friend cut down to the spine and then I made one hard whack on the knife with the bat and it went right through the spine! Worked great

Access

Fisherman
Sep 3, 2014
South Bay
Name
Lam
Boat
SeaVee 370Z (One day)
Nice bait tank and nice fish! :)
Your yellowtail is as small as the one I caught last year. Lol I did release it though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BretFarewell

Aug 2, 2014
Name
Bret Hudzietz
Boat
44 Pacifica
Thanks everyone! I'll have to tell my dad how much you all love the bait tank. The tank itself I believe was on the boat when he purchased it. He then cut the hole in the tank and installed the plexi-glass window, etc. Everyone loves it. It's especially nice after a long day of fishing, anchored with a margarita in your hand. It's like you have your own back deck aquarium!

Reactions: Brett Wells