Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Steve and I took my sled out bassing. Weather was great, but the damn fish just weren’t biting. Anywhere. Temps were 61-63 degrees and there was no current. We hit a zillion stones for one here, two there. The few times we saw stacked up fish on the meter, we got bit—and doubles at that. Man I’m loving that SS175HW ducer.

We went all the way to the new reef at PV to map it out more. Mapping was all we did, cause we caught zero fish there. If anyone knows the LL for all the new rockpiles, please PM me.

Half the fish were caught on Kman Special swimbaits, the other half slow pitch jigging with silver jigs. Slow pitch jigging definitely works, but it’s painful losing a 10-15 dollar jig to the rocks rather than a couple dollar swimbait/leadhead that gets bit just as well. Last trip, we lost 4 jigs. Ouch. Still, jigging is fun to do.

Steve gets bonus dad points for going in early if the fishing sucks so we bagged it a little after noon with a measly 14 fish on the clicker. No size to sandies, but I got a 4.5# calico.

The boat ran great and the new Navico software gave us better situational awareness. Among other things, it has better icons for ships/boats transmitting AIS and changes their color if they are deemed a threat.

We changed the impeller last week. On the difficulty scale, I’d give it a 2 as nothing was seized. Took a little over a half hour to do. Now I can go another 300 hours or three years.

Anyways, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. It was a great day on the water with a good bud. Fishing was great, catching could have been better but what the hell.

F284AC76-5155-4D2D-9DB8-E8F587898B4D.jpeg

BFF7A67E-1D76-416E-AC7E-CA14700D5CA4.jpeg

2D0E412F-EC53-45AB-BC86-F4A663BA2137.jpeg

EB09A157-FD17-4E54-9DA8-6C2FBD1087B2.jpeg

5107977A-E377-45C0-A12F-F9E491979434.jpeg

67B8AB65-4F90-4052-B27B-B35F5D9B6DBB.jpeg

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/info/pics. Good job mapping and giving it a go offshore.
    Got boat dialed in too.
    Better bites next time. GL

Upvote 0

MegaByte26

Jan 19, 2021
    Fontana
    Name
    Jorge
    Boat
    MegaByte
    Hi Kman! I'm looking at the TM185HW which is equivalent to the SS175HW spec wise. What's your take on Transom Mount vs thru hull? I'm a little scared to make a 4" hole on the bottom of the boat... LOL How was the bottom detail with the new ducer? Can you identify rock piles and bottom structure? Do you get good readings at 15-20MPH?

Kman
    Kman
    I can’t say enough good things about this ducer. The bottom detail 300’ and under is amazing. It’s so good I turned off down scan overlay from my 3-in-1 transducer. You see rocks, sand, hardbottom soooo clearly. Easily shows bottom at 20 mph.

As for mounting, if you have access to your bilge, I’d go for the thru hull. Mounting really is easy. Just measure twice, cut once, and use a ton of 4200.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

MegaByte26

Jan 19, 2021
    Fontana
    Name
    Jorge
    Boat
    MegaByte
    Hi Kman! I'm looking at the TM185HW which is equivalent to the SS175HW spec wise. What's your take on Transom Mount vs thru hull? I'm a little scared to make a 4" hole on the bottom of the boat... LOL How was the bottom detail with the new ducer? Can you identify rock piles and bottom structure? Do you get good readings at 15-20MPH?
    Thanks Kman!

Upvote 0

jrodda

Your Ad Here!
    Sep 8, 2012
    United States
    Name
    Jeremy Rodda
    Boat
    15' Saturn SK470XL "Mosquito"
    Just the report I was looking for, thanks for posting. Looks like a beautiful day.

I recently did the impeller on my 6hp Merc and the hard (holy hell frustrating) part was putting the lower drive unit back on. Turns out the whole lower drive is what needed replacing anyway...but the impeller was a fun little project.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Just the report I was looking for, thanks for posting. Looks like a beautiful day.

I recently did the impeller on my 6hp Merc and the hard (holy hell frustrating) part was putting the lower drive unit back on. Turns out the whole lower drive is what needed replacing anyway...but the impeller was a fun little project.
    Putting the lower unit back on is waaaaaaaaay easier with two people. While holding the LU with maybe an inch gap, you have to attach the speedo, then line up the drive shaft, shift shaft and output tube. I could see that being frustrating with one person.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Steve and I took my sled out bassing. Weather was great, but the damn fish just weren’t biting. Anywhere. Temps were 61-63 degrees and there was no current. We hit a zillion stones for one here, two there. The few times we saw stacked up fish on the meter, we got bit—and doubles at that. Man I’m loving that SS175HW ducer.

We went all the way to the new reef at PV to map it out more. Mapping was all we did, cause we caught zero fish there. If anyone knows the LL for all the new rockpiles, please PM me.

Half the fish were caught on Kman Special swimbaits, the other half slow pitch jigging with silver jigs. Slow pitch jigging definitely works, but it’s painful losing a 10-15 dollar jig to the rocks rather than a couple dollar swimbait/leadhead that gets bit just as well. Last trip, we lost 4 jigs. Ouch. Still, jigging is fun to do.

Steve gets bonus dad points for going in early if the fishing sucks so we bagged it a little after noon with a measly 14 fish on the clicker. No size to sandies, but I got a 4.5# calico.

The boat ran great and the new Navico software gave us better situational awareness. Among other things, it has better icons for ships/boats transmitting AIS and changes their color if they are deemed a threat.

We changed the impeller last week. On the difficulty scale, I’d give it a 2 as nothing was seized. Took a little over a half hour to do. Now I can go another 300 hours or three years.

Anyways, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. It was a great day on the water with a good bud. Fishing was great, catching could have been better but what the hell.

View attachment 1327444

View attachment 1327445

View attachment 1327446

View attachment 1327447

View attachment 1327448

View attachment 1327449
    Do you have a yamaha? I have a yamaha 150 that needs a new impeller soon.
    Couldn't find oem impeller kit as it's on backorder. Where did you get yours?

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Do you have a yamaha? I have a yamaha 150 that needs a new impeller soon.
    Couldn't find oem impeller kit as it's on backorder. Where did you get yours?
    Yamaha F115. I got my kit from SIM Yamaha. Took them a couple weeks to ship as they are backed up. There’s also Partsvu, Amazon and EBay. Once you know the part number of the kit, you can Google it and see if a no name seller has them.

Reactions: ysmoose
    Upvote 0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Burbank, California
    Name
    Harry karaoglanian
    Boat
    Tiara 3900 open
    Why SS and not Bronze for the ducer? Do you have a ss boat? I’d imagine the ss will cause electrolysis if every other ground is bronze. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m looking to upgrade my electronics too. B175 is the way to go. Great narrow beam width with high power for structure fishing.

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 25, 2003
    Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
    Name
    Cory Visser
    Boat
    N/A
    Glad you made it out, sorry about the slow fishing. Good effort and I am confident the Catching will get better soon!

Upvote 0

J_P

Apr 17, 2012
    Redondo beach, ca
    Name
    Joel pepper
    Boat
    26' Radon
    Why SS and not Bronze for the ducer? Do you have a ss boat? I’d imagine the ss will cause electrolysis if every other ground is bronze. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m looking to upgrade my electronics too. B175 is the way to go. Great narrow beam width with high power for structure fishing.
    we just did a b175HW for the new tzt3 plotter to push. really clear compared to the one we ripped out.

Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Been forever since I've been on the water, weather did look great! Thanks for the report, specification info, and DIY tips. 14 is plenty for most of us and a nice Calico. Good job!

Upvote 0