lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Headed out from SI, tilt trim not working and bait pump not working. Sat in the bay addressing both and got them both up and running. Picked up a decent scoop of bait and rounded the Point at 0900. We headed southwest of the islands towards the 371.

Lots of life around the S9, put out an Xrap, pink squid daisy chain and a cedar plug. Wasn't long before the daisy chain got hit. Small bonito to be used for lobster bait in the bag. Nothing else on the troll after that. Water temp was 68.
IMG_20201013_113842351~2.jpg

Found a nice kelp about 5 miles west of the islands. Instant hookups on live bait. I threw iron while the other two guys were bit flying baits. No takers for the iron so I grabbed my bait stick and was bit. Turned out to be small Yellowtail. Put a few in the boat hoping that some bigger models were around but bite died and we went looking for more kelps. Radio was quiet both west and south. Wind and swell was picking up.
IMG_20201013_170630658_HDR~2.jpg

Tough spotting kelps in the conditions so we headed inside to hit some rockfish spots. Drift was off so it took quite a bit of resetting to get them biting. Assorted bottom species made the bag with a real nice Bocaccio, Ling and a Goat. Around 2pm the wind and swell settled down and we cruised back at a good clip. I guess Wednesday in the new Saturday as the hoop netters were out in full force.

rhgusman

Salty Dog
Sep 9, 2012
CA
Name
Rob
Boat
A Salt Weapon
Great report....thanks for the heads up on location and conditions!

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
You or the boat?

Nice mixed bag o' fish. Good job MacGyver.
Yea, I'm sore today. My boat partner Ol' Man Frank took the bait sentry apart on the fly. Must have been a bad spot somewhere in the motor. Nothing obstructing the blades. Worked great the rest of the day. Will swap out for the next trip. Here's Ol' Man Macguyver with his Doo Rag and Beaucoup Bocaccio.
IMG_20201013_134513076_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Didn't even notice that. My hero! The bag pic is cool too, showing relative size of the yellows compared to the bottom fish. However you can get 'em, I say.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK