https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
However not seaworthy . . . YET.

Conditions: 67 degrees, fairly clean/clear water bluish/green. Light current downhill and light off shore winds. Medium/light swell from the southwest.

P1020641.JPG

Brought Bolan home on July 6th. She was 10 weeks old. Since covid, I have been working at home remotely. Things have become more complicated with a puppy around, now an adolescent, 5 months old. I have been trying to prepare her for the first trip by playing in the boat that is in the garage. I also take her every car trip to get used to the motion. Well, neither of these payed off. Too bad, I really wanted the first fishing trip a success, basically no puking and excitement/participation.

The morning started out different for Bolan. Not a lot of the usual attention, with a little running around by me and did not seem familiar to her. Well it did somewhat, but the cloths looked like the ones I put on when I was going to be gone for a while. Everything got packed up including dog food in the cooler. This caused high alert. Any food being move around gets her attention. Bolan is a pig/goat combo. Pig because there is not enough food in the world to satisfy her (she doesn’t even chew a thing), and Goat because she eats sticks, wood, bark, like it was going out of style.

At 6:30 am I moved the boat out of the garage, then grabbed the Dog. “Oh fuck, I’m going?” Bolan ran towards the truck in the street, then paused at the boat. Confused. Then I spurred her into the truck. It was the usual nonsense; running around the truck driving down Golden Lantern. A few minutes later she sees the place she has been to the last seven weekends, Embarcadero Landing. I launch the boat, park the truck and we are off. OMG so much excitement. She is so happy and almost out of control. We make our way to the ramp and the attendant (I have seen many times on our harbor walk) tells me my lights are on in the truck. “thanks brother!”. He recognizing me, mostly Bolan, because I told him I was prepping her for her first trip and wanted to do it right. “First trip?” “Yes Sir”. Good luck”. “Thanks again for the heads up on the lights!”.

Half way down the ramp, Bolan locks in her heals and ain’t budging. In fear than the collar is going to pull right over her ears, I pull out the treat. Wanna treat?” That got us to the boat. I tossed her in, get the motor started, electronics on, fishing poles in their place. Now Life Jacket time. I only fit it on her once in the house, still it went on with ease. She did not know what to think. Stiffened up.

Placed her on the captain’s chair and headed out.

P1020644.JPG

P1020648.JPG

Took it real slow and stopped by the Dogs. No interest. Not a good sign. Went straight to the Rockfish spot since it could be a short day and we needed some fresh taco meet.

P1020653.JPG

First drop produced a 13” Sculpin.

P1020656.JPG

Then she puked

P1020658.JPG

Second drop two small Reds. Bolan was looking miserable and didn’t drink the water I gave her. “OK Bolan just one more drop”.

P1020664.JPG

Third drop brought up a nice 13” Red. “Luck Dog, that’s it”. “We have dinner”. “But don’t ever think this ain’t happening again. If you keep the luck going, you won’t suffer as much girl?.

We were cruising in at 8:30 am. She looked like she got her ass kicked. Just like every other guy you have seen seasick over the years of fishing. I personally don’t know it, but it sure looks nasty. Soon as we hit the inside of the harbor, she starts to perk up. By the time we hit land, all good. It is an amazing phenomenon.

P1020652.JPG

I saw this guy with his dogs that don’t get seasick. It is so cool that most people figure out a way in life to get a little joy in between all the crap. Still going to say it . . . “Life is good!”.

Upvote 0

djam

Almost A Member
  • Jun 2, 2008
    Irvine
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Parker 2320 (Terabite)
    Maybe cruise the little one around the harbor a few times to get used to the movement? Don't know

Reactions: Tom123
    Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
    Nov 7, 2005
    La Costa
    Name
    Chuck G
    Boat
    8' sabot #69
    Good thing the sculpin did not sting her. Hah Hah. Better luck next time.

Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Don’t know if this is true but, I read that puppies get motion sick, adult dogs don’t. Something about anxiety.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    I bet Mostly anxiety, he should grow out of it. Years ago we had a Brittany spaniel that would start shaken and puken when he was young, then over the next year or two he got over it. Hang in there!

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I did the solo mission with my dog Dale (18 months now) out of Dana yesterday also (good fall fishing 4 butts, a thresher and all the bass you could want). My guy Dale (loves the boat) also has ZERO intrerest in the sea lions. So weird i always thougth he would be into it, he gets excited about every land animal he sees.

You'll get there. Having them on the boat to hang with you is so great. Keep at it.

PS: Anyone have any idea how to get them to pee on the boat? Still haven't figured that out yet.

1602511835079.png

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Just like humans, some do and some don't. My German Shepherd used to puke on long truck rides, nothing like a 110lb dog unloading a belly full of kibble on the back seat! Per our Vet, we give him Meclizine and it cured the problem. If you notice your pup drooling, she is not feeling well. Check with your Vet to verify dosage.

• Love
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I'd like to leave you some helpful, sage-like comment regarding Bolan and taking her aboard, but I don't know Jack Shit about having a dog on a boat! :D

My gut feeling is she'll get over it and start looking forward to these trips!

Upvote 0

Tranquility

Tranquility
    Mar 13, 2004
    Calif
    Name
    Bryan
    Boat
    Century 3200WA
    Great write up. I’ve had 3 dogs fish with me regularly. Two loved it, one not so much. Also cattle dog mixes. Great pics as well.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    My old 92# English lab would get sea sick, wouldn't puke but you could definitely tell he was not having it. Kept moving around trying to find a spot. He was fine in the harbor but once we got out it was a no go.

What if maybe you brought Muddy and Luca for a couple trips? Perhaps Luca would show Bolan the ropes?

• Love
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    I did the solo mission with my dog Dale (18 months now) out of Dana yesterday also (good fall fishing 4 butts, a thresher and all the bass you could want). My guy Dale (loves the boat) also has ZERO intrerest in the sea lions. So weird i always thougth he would be into it, he gets excited about every land animal he sees.

You'll get there. Having them on the boat to hang with you is so great. Keep at it.

PS: Anyone have any idea how to get them to pee on the boat? Still haven't figured that out yet.
    View attachment 1211030

View attachment 1211029

Dale is a good looking doggie. Hope to see you guys at the ramp some day.

Bolan won't even pee/poop outside of her domain. Luckily she can hold it for 8 hours. She finally started barking a month ago. So tuff, yet such a puss.

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    My dog used to get seasick all the time. When I got a new boat and he could see over the gunnels and not just see the sides of the boat that helped him. He still gets carsick.

He’s also a strange dog so there’s that too.

• Haha
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Our Bernese would get on the boat, walk around for a few minutes, then plant himself on the couch and not move the rest of the time. Our Aussie however, has done a MOB 3x now, and with all that hair, he’s weighs about 3x as much (think like 100+lbs wet). Needless to say, we got him a life jacket and he loves it, the Bernese? Not so much... always love seeing posts with dogs, they really are mans best friend

Upvote 0