Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Wife had to work today so went out for the 3rd time this week. 1st time in SD Bay for just little spotties, then S 9 Mile for 18 (3-4 lb} rockfish for 2 peeps, then today.

Just took one pole, My trusty 40 yo Newell S210. 1/4 piece of squid for bait and can tuna for chum. Stopped at the bait barge on the way out not to buy bait but to catch it. Within 30 minutes had all the macs I needed for my lingcod search. Only two small macs in the bunch. Ran straight out to the outside kelp-line off Pt Loma. Found a spot with rocks and kelp on bottom, spot locked over it and dropped a small mac down.

Almost instantly played tug of war with something down there in 100' of water. Pulled the bait out of its mouth. Same thing happened on the 2nd mac. No luck after missing those fish for awhile. Searched for another potentially looking bottom and down goes the 4th mac. Bam! This time I let the fish chew for awhile then slowly wind up the line so that the 9/0 circle hook will lodge in the corner of its mouth. Good fight with taking line all the way up. 1st ling, white in color, 25.5".

Took me awhile to find the 2nd ling using same setup. 2nd ling, very green in color, 26".

ling 9 20.jpg

ling 9 20a.jpg

Last edited:

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Nice work skipper!

Tiagosahn

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2008
San Diego
www.prs24-7.com
Name
Tiagosahn
Boat
25' Hydrasport
Wife had to work today so went out for the 3rd time this week. 1st time in SD Bay for just little spotties, then S 9 Mile for 18 (3-4 lb} rockfish for 2 peeps, then today.

Just took one pole, My trusty 40 yo Newell S210. 1/4 piece of squid for bait and can tuna for chum. Stopped at the bait barge on the way out not to buy bait but to catch it. Within 30 minutes had all the macs I needed for my lingcod search. Only two small macs in the bunch. Ran straight out to the outside kelp-line off Pt Loma. Found a spot with rocks and kelp on bottom, spot locked over it and dropped a small mac down.

Almost instantly played tug of war with something down there in 100' of water. Pulled the bait out of its mouth. Same thing happened on the 2nd mac. No luck after missing those fish for awhile. Searched for another potentially looking bottom and down goes the 4th mac. Bam! This time I let the fish chew for awhile then slowly wind up the line so that the 9/0 circle hook will lodge in the corner of its mouth. Good fight with taking line all the way up. 1st ling, white in color, 25.5".

Took me awhile to find the 2nd ling using same setup. 2nd ling, very green in color, 26".

View attachment 1206983

View attachment 1206984
My favorite fish to hunt and catch, elusive and not easy to find for most........especially for me!!!😅. Nice catch amigo, I hope to be out next weel

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Lingcod.... Yum! Deep fried buttery goodness! Serve in tacos with mango salsa and guacamole. A dish o' fish - delish!

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Thanks for the tip. Tonight, I'm rolling up 4 half filets (Green ling) around a king crab meat stuffing and baking it in my pellet or charcoal smoker. My wife is frying up the rest of the filets in pieces (White ling) before tossing the filets in my home made sweet & sour sauce and served over rice. I love house parties where you can compare Green vs White lingcod and argue the taste results over a few bottles of wine and tequila.

MattFred1414

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
I can’t figure out how to target lings here!! A keeper has been evading me. Nice fish man.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
We call them blue lings up here. Both are delicious.

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen

View attachment 1206983

View attachment 1206984
Very nice. Next time try double hook set up. Either two single hooks or one single and treble. Put the rear hook thru the mac's back. Your hook up ratio will increase big time.

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Nice job ! Love all the colors of lingcod. I've had people balk at the flesh because it was teal/sea foam in color. Delicious fish !
Yup I remember the first ling I caught. I saw the deckhand filleting it for me and I was like.. um is that going to be safe to eat. It tastes great and turns white quickly when cooked.

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Party Time Last Night with Friends Who Never Ate Lingcod before,

Wife made the sweet & sour lingcod on rice. I picked the crab meat out of 3 cooked Dungeness crabs, stuffed (layered) each crab shell with a Green lingcod fillet on bottom, then the crab meat stuffing mix and placed a fillet on top. I BBQed the crab shells, in-direct, until done at 400- 450 degrees on my Weber.

The margaritas flowed along with bottles of Dauo (sic) cab to wash it all done. The guests were asked to rate the White Lingcod (sweet & sour) against my Green lingcod stuffed with crab meat. They all loved both. I liked the sweet and sour the best.

Needless to say the 2 lingcods were consumed. Time to go fishing again!

stuff lingcod.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jiggermyster

THE GRAYS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
Nice catch, and lucky you, 3 days of fishing in a week!

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
Well, I'm laid off due to the virus (field installation engineer) so I have a choice
(1) hang around the house and do honey-dos
or
(2) go fishing

I picked (2).

Once the house remodel is done I plan on going fishing 7 straight days from LJ to the Mexican Border and out 15 miles and post each day. Something I've always wanted to do but work and life has gotten in the way.