10-01-2017 Dana Point making Memories

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Fshn-4-Fun, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Fshn-4-Fun

Fshn-4-Fun Newbie

Name:
    Damian
    Boat:
    190 Sea Ray
    Disclaimer, this really isn’t a fishing report but more of a success story and a big thank you to BD contributors.

So here it goes:

The planning of this trip started earlier this week when my brother in law and I realized we had matching days off! We both enjoy fishing but don’t know a darn thing. We decided to try it out and figure it out. We couldn’t leave the boys out so they were part of the plan. We each have 11-year old boys.

Started the day at 0430, drove down to Dana Point and launched by 0545 ish. We had a big drive to the ramps and we made a few stops along the way. One of the stop was to pick up some Dramamine. I opted to pass on it, mistake! I ended up regretting that later. The boys were ecstatic and could hardly wait to get on the boat for their FIRST fishing trip!

Being a new boater and not knowing much about fishing I took to BD and damn glad I did. Thank you to all who contribute useful information. I wanted to stay local within line of sight of land (This later paid off). Made it out of the harbor and followed the GPS to San Juan Rock. To my surprise its just outside the jetty! Easy ride. We set up, baited the hooks, dropped line and after a few minutes, BAM my nephew starts yelling, “Dad, dad, what do I do? My poll is pulling and bending!” What a moment, epic memory for his first fish ever. Up he pulled a small Mackerel. Trophy fish for him, yup we kept it. Later used it for bait.

Hit a long stretch of zero productivity so we relocated. I spotted some small buys earlier, I think they were crab or lobster pods. Again BD members came through and I set up near them had the kids drop the lines. At this point my boy hadn’t caught a fish and I really couldn’t help him because I was too busy blowing chunks out the side. A big part of me wanted to call it a day but I wasn’t there for me so I hung in and held it together the best I could. My boy gets frustrated and gives up. I take his poll and instantly get bit! I called him over and put him to work. The smile on his face made my day totally worth it! After that he was smashing them, Mackerel after Mackerel. Catch and release until 1100 ish. We kept a few to freeze and use as bait on future trips.

Called it a day and went to start the boat, click, click, and nothing. The engine wouldn’t even turn! I knew immediately what was wrong; the battery was dead. Apparently keeping track of how long your running the GPS and bumping tunes is important. It took me about 10 seconds to figure out what to do next. BD contributors again came through! Yup, pulled my wallet out, retrieved my BoatUS card and gave them a call. Scott from BoatUS showed up faster than I expected, he was totally awesome! Thank’s BoatUS! & if you don’t have a membership get one totally worth it. Just being worry free and knowing help was coming was awesome.

Yeah, we caught Mackerel I know it isn’t anything to rant and rave about but these boys totally fell in love with fishing and can’t wait to go out again. Today they caught their first fish and they will never forget that. BD contributors helped make this possible. Thank you.

2. brokenseal

brokenseal I'm not surprised MFrs

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    67 Silverline
    I think that's a rad post!!
    Successful trip.

3. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    You have touched upon one of the best ways to make memories with a young or new to fishing fisher(wo)man! I made the mistake first of taking my two small kids out in the ocean to target Yellowtail. It was too much for them. Little kids have little attention spans. We now go to the SD big bay bait barge and fish for macs and also enjoy hunting for lobsters with the mackerel chunks. It can get pretty competitive on our boat.
    Matter of fact, yesterday the Vagabond was loading up on bait yesterday for over 1/2 an hour and we were doing our thing. At least 4 or 5 hardened stone cold fish killers were watching us and you could see them enjoying our antics and reminisce about what got them started. My son and his buddy will be talking about that trip for a while and his buddy caught this chubby Sculpin right after I had instructed the boys how to thumb lip a bass. I yelled no before things went wrong.
    You sir, are doing it right. Now go get a new or second battery.
    PS AGMs are worth the extra cost.

IMG_8613.JPG

4. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Awsome write up and great day for sure it's all about making memories and gaining knowledge the fish will come in due time. Awsome to get the kids out i still remember all the great memories of fishing with my dad while he was still here, cherish that time you get with them on the water!!

Fshn-4-Fun likes this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Fresh thread.

Lots of good stuff there. Thanks.

Yes, second battery.

Fshn-4-Fun likes this.
  6. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Bangarang

Name:
    flyhigh123
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Get a second battery if you don't have it and add a switch. Blue seas makes one that easy to use or any switch that lets you select the battery.

In case you run out of juice, flip the switch to all and crank.

Just make sure second battery is charged.

Btw, blowing chunks always brings the fish.

Have fun!

Fshn-4-Fun likes this.
  7. Charts

Charts Member

Name:
    Charts
    Boat:
    bayliner capri 2052 cuddy
    Awesome post! Way to get out there. Keep going! You learned something this trip. You'll learn on the next, and the next, and...soon enough you'll be salty. My advice to very new boaters: 1) Have a working cell (warning GPS apps will drain your cell battery pronto), AND a VHF radio (and know how to use it). 2) Have an anchor 1 size larger than recommended for your boat size, with at least 100ft of line (and know how to use it), and 3) check the weather carefully and know your limits, both in range and weather. Head in or stay in if in ANY doubt. Follow those rules and you can get out of most any pickle.

Keep going out and creating those memories!

And don't sweat the blowing chunks. Admiral Nelson was famously and chronically seasick. I'm a 21-year Navy vet and take the dramma regularly.

8. slapazz

slapazz Member

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17' sportcraft
    Way to go my man! That trip will beat any WFO tuna trip with the youngsters!!! And good on you for sticking it out for them!

9. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Boating will be everlasting part of your lives.
    Glad you had fun. When someone on my boat gets ill, we head into the harbors and fish calmly there. It is actually more fun and less stress to your body at the end of the day.

Fshn-4-Fun likes this.
  10. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    Keep a close eye on your voltmeter
    Before starting the engine it should be at or little below 12
    Outboards usually don't charge well under 1500 RPM but at Harbor speed usually 1500 RPM it should be reading 13
    If it's still at or below 12 with the engine running you're having some type of charging problem and it's just a matter of time before you run out of juice
    Note: you can get one of those little handheld jump starter units that also charge your cell phone as an option to the second battery.
    Finally be sure to isolate the Dual battery system once you get to the fishing grounds switch the number one or battery two not both.

Fshn-4-Fun likes this.
  11. Fshn-4-Fun

Fshn-4-Fun Newbie

Name:
    Damian
    Boat:
    190 Sea Ray
    Yes, totally awesome trip. Thanks for all the great follow up info. I am considering a second battery and this talk has motivated me towards pulling the trigger on it. On the VHF note.... I initially bought a handheld for two reasons. One I knew I would stay local and wouldn't need something with big output. I figured I would upgrade at a later time I just wanted a quick radio to get started. Which sets me up for the second reason, cost efficiency. Yup, being cheap. However, for this particular scenario it worked out. Had I had a hard wired radio I would have been SOL. Dead battery, no power, no radio.

Some may feel they have no need for a spare or emergency radio. Waste of money right? At least that what I thought every time I read about it on a thread. Lesson learned, when I do upgrade VHF radio I am keeping the handheld as a spare emergency radio onboard.

12. Fshn-4-Fun

Fshn-4-Fun Newbie

Name:
    Damian
    Boat:
    190 Sea Ray
    Thank you. I may have to try this with them next time.

Willdoggy likes this.
  13. Fshn-4-Fun

Fshn-4-Fun Newbie

Name:
    Damian
    Boat:
    190 Sea Ray

Hahaha that is so true. I told the boys I was chumming for them lol

Well you answered my question on a second battery. I was wondering how a second battery would work. Time to read and plan an install.

14. Fshn-4-Fun

Fshn-4-Fun Newbie

Name:
    Damian
    Boat:
    190 Sea Ray
    Its funny you mention anchor... I had one on this trip but.... I dropped it and couldn't retrieve it. I tried everything that came to mind. After a long struggle and mostly being frustrated between feeling sick and lack of patience I cut the line. Anchor size huh? New topic for me, makes sense. I will have to educate myself on this and replace the anchor before the next trip.

I have 2-spare anchors on board and when I called BoatUS, Scott suggested I anchor but all I could think of at the time was how I cut the rope earlier. Not to mention that I forgot about the spare anchors.

Thanks for the advise

15. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    The sport boats and a lot of other guys chain to the head of the anchor and use a breaker way wire system where you normally attach the anchor.

16. Charts

Charts Member

Name:
    Charts
    Boat:
    bayliner capri 2052 cuddy
    Yep, good to practice anchor setting/retrieval before it's needed in an emergency to keep you off the rocks. Sounds like you'd set your anchor real good and dug in nice (which is good for holding). And it can be tough to unset.

One trick is to bring in the anchor line until it's straight up/down. Then tie it off on the bow, and slowly motor forward. That can free the anchor using the power of the engine, then you can just haul it up. Just make sure you are straight up/down and that you disengage the engine once the anchor is free. Don't want the anchor line in your prop.

There's probably lots of videos about properly setting/retrieving the anchor.

p.s. Don't anchor from the stern which runs the risk of swamping from larger waves.

17. djennings

djennings Newbie

Name:
    David Jennings
    Boat:
    Arima sea angler 19 "NEW DAY RISING"
    Nice report and write up. Great job. I'd catch macks all day given the chance for your kids to get that positive amazing feel that hooked all of us so long ago. Your the real deal!

18. best pals

best pals Newbie

Name:
    Best Pals
    Boat:
    31 Black Watch "Best Pals"
    That is awesome!! Exactly how I got hooked on fishing. My dad took me out of Newport Beach and we caught Mackerel until our arms fell off! I couldn't get enough fishing after that! The patience factor was the hardest part to learn as I came to learn that not every day was like that first one pulling non stop! Great read and report! Brought back a lot of memories.