1 pass bait option for boats in San Diego

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat Name
Boat hoe
Why is a kayak scoop/ 1 pass only available for kayakers or guys that don’t have a legit bait tank just what the guy told me at the bait barge in San Diego big bay? I don’t feel it’s right to only offer that option to people in that category. All because i decided to drop the money on a tank and all the bs that comes with it for a 14 foot flat bottom aluminum. Tons of ways to look at the situation but hopefully Everingham bait co. can clear this up and to why this isn’t available for everyone. Solo bay fisherman would most definitely appreciate the option or maybe i should just invest in a couple packs of sabiki rigs !😂😂

Reactions: jiggermyster
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    19"Gregor
    Catching your own bait and then catching fish with it is much more satisfying in my book . It will make you a better fisherman in the process . It's like putting the whole puzzle together .

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
    Sep 8, 2010
    San Diego 92117
    Name
    B-MAN
    Boat Name
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Top Shelf (35x10 double deck pontoon)
    from what I understand (no direct knowledge) the kayakers can come back and get more bait if desired/able to... there tanks tend to only hold 6-12 baits at a time

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    24, Angler, All-In
    The point is why does he have to buy a 1/2 scoop instead of a quarter scoop. The size of his boat/bait tank should not decide the option. If I am going out to fish halibut, I don't need 1/2 scoop.

My opinion is that they don't want to waist their time on one pass so they force you to buy at least a 1/2 scoop. They are there to make money. I don't need the satisfaction of catching my own bait so I pay the 1/2 scoop. I'm glad it's available.

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat Name
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    When I fished out of Dana Point (EB runs that barge too), I had to buy the half scoop, but they would give me half of that and then I could come back and get the other half with my receipt. I'd run up to salt creek with the first half and then come back when the wind started to kick up, grab the other half and fish the rocks outside of the break wall. Not ideal but made it work. Same situation, 14 ft aluminum with an 18 gallon tank. Out of LB or Pedro, I'd give Nacho or Mike $25 and they'd give me 2 or 3 good sized passes. It is what it is...

Way I see it is you're taking a spot in line no matter the size of your boat, and it doesn't take a whole lot longer for you to pull alongside and get a few passes of bait than it does a bigger boat buying a few scoops.

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat Name
    Boat hoe
    Ya sometimes i don’t have anyone else on the boat or I’m limited on time usually being the reason for not needing so much bait. I can drift all day with one pass of bait if I’m solo and the bait tank has not problem with a half scoop even if it’s smaller pieces.

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat Name
    Boat hoe
    Get really small sabiki most people get the big ones and tip with squid if possible only thing i use and big mackerels are good for bounce ball if you got it.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat Name
    24 ft grady white
    I never understood that either.The kayak can get a few baits but a boater can't ? must be a money grab thing,they know you'll pay it.As far as making your own bait,good luck making Sardines or Anchovy.And Mackeral are usually way too big to fish the bay with.

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
    Mar 14, 2004
    Murrieta Ca
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    Does seem a little unfair I guess, but if they didn't have the policy there would probably be alot more small boats getting just a little bait .

I've fished several places around the country and it sure is nice to have live bait 24/7 - 365 with the exception of 12 hours on Christmas day . Visiting fisherman from other locales are in awe when we pull up to EBs and load up.

I enjoy making bait on occasion and seem to catch better quality when i do . Definitely satisfying.
    But it's so nice to know that the bait is there anytime I want it .
    Being in a slip with a receiver has been nice the last few seasons .
    Love curing that leftover for another trip or having some for the next day without dumping it.
    Maybe get to know the bait guys and grease them a little $$ and you can get the kayak hook up .
    Have fun either way .

Reactions: tunacraze
    Upvote 0

zoner

Almost A Member
    Apr 17, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    none
    I'm in San Diego and the way it works here is they don't sell less than half a scoop. If your bait tank won't hold half a scoop(like a kayak etc) you pay for the bait they give you half of the half scoop and you can come back and get the rest. If they didn't have the minimum there would be folks pulling up wanting to buy a quarter scoop or an eighth of a scoop etc

Reactions: Spoons
    Upvote 0
    Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat Name
    Triumph
    I guess you could start a live bait club. Post up your itinerary (Private Boater Inshore Trip Planning) and get low volume bait users together.

Reactions: Otto
    Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat Name
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    If they could make a profit on less bait, they would be happy to do so. The economics of labor and everything else means hey have to make a minimum per transaction or it just doesn't work. Private boats are a big part of the business but we probably wouldn't be enough on our own. Its the sporties that pay the bills

Reactions: Paul Ward
    Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat Name
    Boat hoe
    If they could make a profit on less bait, they would be happy to do so. The economics of labor and everything else means hey have to make a minimum per transaction or it just doesn't work. Private boats are a big part of the business but we probably wouldn't be enough on our own. Its the sporties that pay the bills

Ya your right the line right now is pretty long at the barge !🤪

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat Name
    Parker 2310
    Does seem a little unfair I guess, but if they didn't have the policy there would probably be alot more small boats getting just a little bait .

I've fished several places around the country and it sure is nice to have live bait 24/7 - 365 with the exception of 12 hours on Christmas day . Visiting fisherman from other locales are in awe when we pull up to EBs and load up.

I enjoy making bait on occasion and seem to catch better quality when i do . Definitely satisfying.
    But it's so nice to know that the bait is there anytime I want it .
    Being in a slip with a receiver has been nice the last few seasons .
    Love curing that leftover for another trip or having some for the next day without dumping it.
    Maybe get to know the bait guys and grease them a little $$ and you can get the kayak hook up .
    Have fun either way .

How do you cure your leftover bait? you got a little bait thing in your slip?

Mission bay bait barge was actually open on Christmas day this year and they gave us a kayak scoop ;-) "we don't normally do this..."

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
    Mar 14, 2004
    Murrieta Ca
    Name
    Lou
    Boat Name
    Pursuit 2870 WA
    How do you cure your leftover bait? you got a little bait thing in your slip?

Alot of guys have tanks or receivers of various sizes to keep macs and other finbait in.
    Tied to the dock at the bow . In summer , the sardines don't last more than several days, but in winter they can last for months. I feed them cream of wheat or fish food.
    I mostly use mine for the second day of fishing on weekends .
    Pays for itself pretty quick .

Upvote 0

Steve Dee

Oct 5, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Steve D
    Boat Name
    Grady White 180 - "Running with Scissors"
    A few years back they would sell a kayak scoop, but only to kayaks. When I sold the kayak and got a center console, they would make me buy 1/2 scoop. So that wasn't good for me because I was only out for a couple of hours.

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
    Aug 26, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    John B
    Boat Name
    BW
    Carry a small river kayak on your boat and get a kayak scoop? LOL

It would be nice to have them do one pass scoops in the winter when it is not crowded. I understand why in the late spring and summer. That would be a cluster f*** at the bait receiver.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Good
    Boat Name
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Can I get a per bait price? What about if I want only strong swimmers?

They gotta sell enough baits per customer to make it worth their while. Either enough profit or minimal hassle for the profit. Remember, they are in business to make a profit. That business just happens to be selling baits.

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat Name
    20ft nitro
    All I seem to get on a sabiki are oversized mackerel and lizardfish. Not super useful. Any tips?
    Not for nothing but the rare and endangered Lizard fish is on of the best halibut baits in the San Diego Bay. I have taken many legal halibuts on 6 inch lizards. My largest Halibut 42 inches in San Diego Bay by the shelter Island pier was caught as a by catch. I hooked a lizard fish on a gulp jerk shad while reeling it in I get hit hard and it was the halibut hanging on to the lizard fish the size of a baseball bat we dipped the net and landed the halibut it was not hooked just would not let go of the lizardfish Cheers

Upvote 0

stormwater

Almost A Member
    Sep 3, 2009
    Malibu/CA/USA
    Name
    Red
    Boat Name
    9' Inflatable
    Everingham Bait company should receive an award and letter of appreciation from every angler. What a god damn amazing service they provide. Scoops of live bait 24/7. Without them offshore fishing is gone. Gladly pay for whatever they see fit with a smile on my face and tip money for the poor soul I wake up to serve me up bait in the freezing cold living on the barge.

Upvote 0