1 ling limit in 2019

lingcodslayer

Jan 25, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Name
Ray
Boat
none
My dumb ass just found out there is a 1 ling a day limit for 2019!! I don’t even know what to say. For as long as I can remember it has been 2 per day, then about 3-4 years ago it went to 3 per day, just for 1 season. Now down to 1. I’m just hoping it’s not a sign of bad things to come

46C1981A-B20C-4289-9614-37AC70E06F5C.png

Last edited:
Reactions: cortezpirasea

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
It's because recent population surveys indicated significantly lower recruitment than usual. Probably has to do with the warm water cycle. Same reason they made sculpin year round - because they saw increased recruitment for that species.

I'm not going to pretend it's an equal trade. But here in the south, we definitely saw a huge drop in the amount of lingcod caught the last two seasons, so the survey is likely accurate.

Hamachi_Kama

HK Slays Multimedia Fishing
Jul 1, 2010
Elk Grove, CA.
www.youtube.com
Name
Tomo
Boat
20' Ranger inshore CC
I am both a conservationist and harvester. In my outings on both private and party boats, I'm always amazed at how WFO ling fishin is on the norcal coast. However, have always thought how the fishery could sustain itself with such a willing and quite honestly, easy fish to catch. They are their own worst enemy with that supercharged predator instinct. Day after day they get hammered with limits being the rule more often than not. 90% are cookie-cutter-just-above-legal size and the fish over 10lbs are rare...at least in my observations. I guess what I am trying to say is I support what hopefully will be a temporary measure. Seems like it could be good for the fishery and help to promote quality over quantity. My hack biology analysis would suggest that these fish are prolific spawners and growth rates are higher than most bottom fish species...I might be wrong, but how else have they been able to endure? Perhaps DFW got it right this time and we can likely see intended results and not view this as punitive or politically motivated.

Last edited:

eliner

Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
Used to be five believe it or not, Then 4.
I had lings on lings last year, lings around other lings coming up, most big lings over 18 lbs had small 23" lings in their stomach.
Also noticed if we were on a hot ling bite no other fish would bite, I think they were hiding or left area.
Not worth the trip for me now just to target the. so this should help, but I don't see recovery issues at all.

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Chillax Bru....DFW is the doing the Right Thing...they are the expert and science is on their side. We should be grateful to them for ensuring the Sustainability of our Fisheries for us to continuesly enjoy fishing. Unless one is not thinking of sharing this passion of sportfishing to his children and future generation then let’s follow the steps of those bastards south of the border who harras conservancy efforts to save the endengeared species...jmo....I think if not all but most of us are wanting to just catch & catch fish if possible...what is there to catch if there is no regulation at all?

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
With the depth restrictions they get hit really hard when they spawn shallow.

It's a negative consequence of the seasons and depth restrictions, and unfortunately we have to pay. Pair up a bad recruitment a few years ago and a hard hit on the spawning stock and boom, you get restrictions and even potentially closures...since lings don't get barrotrauma, they also might be a good candidate for a slot limit. Or a mixed size limit like Halibut in parts of AK. Not that rockfish regs need to get even more complicated...

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
It always seemed to me that I was catching the currently closed species most.

I think the research is always playing catch up. I remember once before, being incredulous at a ling limit reduction. I couldn't get past the lings to find a rockfish.

Same with Canary's. Now you can catch them too.

I think the limits are generous anyway. I take 3-4 to eat fresh. Who needs 10 of anything? And a big ling is Mama waiting to drop eggs. And the smaller size tastes better as is common of lots of species.

Ok, I'll stop now. Except Ray, don't say 'ok with closures' out loud. 'They' listen.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats

I think the research is always playing catch up. I remember once before, being incredulous at a ling limit reduction. I couldn't get past the lings to find a rockfish.

I think the limits are generous anyway. I take 3-4 to eat fresh. Who needs 10 of anything? And a big ling is Mama waiting to drop eggs. And the smaller size tastes better as is common of lots of species.

Ok, I'll stop now. Except Ray, don't say 'ok with closures' out loud. 'They' listen.
I'm wondering if the boats out of SD, fishing in Mex waters,
have to play by the same Reg's ?

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)

Agree with exception , I'm a 3 hour drive and work 6 days a week, to go and put all the effort into that trip for 1 ling and some puny rockfish because that's all that's pretty much left around bodega area is not worth it. Open up the deep water and spread out the fisherman.

jigsaurus

May 13, 2010
West sonoma
Name
Stephen
Boat
12' plastic cod killer
I've noticed a difference in the ling population on the Sonoma coast. I used to always get lings without a problem. Lots of fish in the 25-30 inch range and would get at least a couple 20 pound fish per season. This past year was the worst I've ever seen for rockfish and lings. There used to always be huge schools of black rockfish in the shallows at my favorite spots and those are now gone. There was a couple seasons where I was getting fat olive rockfish and now I hardly ever see those.

I was out at Fort Ross a week ago and it was an extremely low tide and I saw at least a dozen dead abalone in the tide pools along with a bunch of dead urchin. That was a first for me. I think the ocean is changing, big time.

I'm fully down with trying to restore the population. I'd like to see future generations hAve the chance to fish.

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I hear you Todd. Most of our lives get in the way. But we all fish the way that's right for us. I am working toward being back on the water after missing a few seasons.

I am a rockfish fiend. I even love those days where it's dead so I can practice teasing the bites up, like fishing a black bass. I make my own jigs and pour my own plastics, all designed to pull up big lings and rockies.

But in my enthusiasm, I've created some fish killing monsters. You know the guy that takes his kids and comes back with 4000 fish, and has two freezers full of burned fish that will get tossed. And he's going again tomorrow to the spot you showed him.

But the research suggests there are less of us fishing every year. And we all know how to conserve. If we get to go deeper then we have to practice barotrauma (sp) reduction methods to save the ones we release.

And jigasuarus, I remember thirty years ago, hardly able to drag my burlap off the party boat. I was shocked by my last party boat trip. They were telling us to keep goldfish, lol. I have decided to move to a new spot every trip this year. Unless Auntie makes a birthday request and I'm needing a sure thing. (Except it's still fishing).

Don't want to veer Ray's thread too far, he just want's to fish. Like me.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
I am both a conservationist and harvester. In my outings on both private and party boats, I'm always amazed at how WFO ling fishin is on the norcal coast. However, have always thought how the fishery could sustain itself with such a willing and quite honestly, easy fish to catch. They are their own worst enemy with that supercharged predator instinct. Day after day they get hammered with limits being the rule more often than not. 90% are cookie-cutter-just-above-legal size and the fish over 10lbs are rare...at least in my observations. I guess what I am trying to say is I support what hopefully will be a temporary measure. Seems like it could be good for the fishery and help to promote quality over quantity. My hack biology analysis would suggest that these fish are prolific spawners and growth rates are higher than most bottom fish species...I might be wrong, but how else have they been able to endure? Perhaps DFW got it right this time and we can likely see intended results and not view this as punitive or politically motivated.
They grow infinitely faster than rockfish. A legal sized ling is only 2 to 3 years old.

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
I hear you Todd. Most of our lives get in the way. But we all fish the way that's right for us. I am working toward being back on the water after missing a few seasons.

I am a rockfish fiend. I even love those days where it's dead so I can practice teasing the bites up, like fishing a black bass. I make my own jigs and pour my own plastics, all designed to pull up big lings and rockies.

But in my enthusiasm, I've created some fish killing monsters. You know the guy that takes his kids and comes back with 4000 fish, and has two freezers full of burned fish that will get tossed. And he's going again tomorrow to the spot you showed him.

But the research suggests there are less of us fishing every year. And we all know how to conserve. If we get to go deeper then we have to practice barotrauma (sp) reduction methods to save the ones we release.

And jigasuarus, I remember thirty years ago, hardly able to drag my burlap off the party boat. I was shocked by my last party boat trip. They were telling us to keep goldfish, lol. I have decided to move to a new spot every trip this year. Unless Auntie makes a birthday request and I'm needing a sure thing. (Except it's still fishing).

Don't want to veer Ray's thread too far, he just want's to fish. Like me.
So true, we take our limit on the 5 to 10 trips a year we do, it all gets consumed ( neighbors love me) the carcs are used in the garden and for crabbing. I'm for rockcod descending device regulations if your fishing cod you have to have one rigged and ready to go. I currently use 2 one on each side of boat if you refuse to use you better keep.

eliner

Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
I've noticed a difference in the ling population on the Sonoma coast. I used to always get lings without a problem. Lots of fish in the 25-30 inch range and would get at least a couple 20 pound fish per season. This past year was the worst I've ever seen for rockfish and lings. There used to always be huge schools of black rockfish in the shallows at my favorite spots and those are now gone. There was a couple seasons where I was getting fat olive rockfish and now I hardly ever see those.

I was out at Fort Ross a week ago and it was an extremely low tide and I saw at least a dozen dead abalone in the tide pools along with a bunch of dead urchin. That was a first for me. I think the ocean is changing, big time.

I'm fully down with trying to restore the population. I'd like to see future generations hAve the chance to fish.
Purple Urchins really screwed up shallow fishing up and down the coast, Eating machines and most of the kelp is gone including the bulb kelp. Now everything that hid or fed on the kelp either scattered starved of learned how to survive in the deeper water. Amazing how fast they reproduce, including central Ca. At least I have memories of the the it used to be. ( Abalone)
Pray for the starfish to return

Mother nature does a pretty good job of population control, just wish she would ask us once in a while. In other words sport fishing cannot even come close to this tragedy, but because of this not much left, but do not think this has much to do with Lingcod, at least Central coast, we never had issues getting them and myself keep only 28" plus fish.

bent rod todd

Ling cod killa
Jun 5, 2011
Auburn,ca
Name
Todd
Boat
I'd like to see a slot limit similar to the approach taken at pyramid lake in Nevada. Something like 2 in possession as long as both are under 30 inches or 1 in possession for 30 inches or longer. Then the angler would have a choice to take 1 larger fish or 2 smaller fish while still protecting the breeders, my fear is with 1 fish limit anglers will be releasing alot of the smaller fish in search of the big breeders. Thus not really helping or even an upper slot limit ( nothing over 36 inches)to protect breeders since they can be released unharmed and grow at a reasonable rate.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Do what alaska does. 2 fish. 1 under a certain size and 1 over. Allows you to keep a trophy should you catch one and want to keep it.

Reactions: bent rod todd

Latest posts