not cool

1/8/11 Town Mahimahi

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by surftout, Jan 9, 2011.

1. surftout

surftout Newbie

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    22' Trophy
    The last Waianae Club Tournament of the year set for Saturday. We prepped the boat Friday evening and got the new Kilwell Outriggers rigged and ready to go. Thanks to Walter for all the good advise and patience with my questions, He truly is the sportsman of the year! My son, Travis was excited to finally go fishing as we hadn't been out since Thanksgiving Day. He usually has hockey practice on Saturdays, but finally had the day off to go fishing.
    At midnight he came into our room and said why aren't you up and ready to go fishing. It's time! I said, dude it's 12 a.m. go back to bed. We go up at 4.30a.m. and started getting everything ready and loaded up, but my wife was coming so that means we're leaving and 6:00. It was calm in Ewa Beach. We get to the Costco gas pumps a few miles away and the wind was blowing! We arrived at Waianae Harbor and it's victory at sea with the club tournament called off. What now? We have ice and we're ready to go. We checked the wind report on the ipad, and it's calm in town, so we decided to drive to Sand Island and fish in town.
    On the way there Pearl Harbor looked glassy and calm and things were looking good. We launched the boat, turned the key, and the motor won't turn over. I charged the battery all night the night before. What's going on? We pulled the boat out of the water, unhook, and I went to West Marine to buy a new battery. I hook up the new battery, and everything's still dead. I said, I guess we're not fishing today, it's just not meant to be.
    My wife reminds me that I pulled the panel off in order to put the new wishbone outriggers on and maybe I messed something up. I assured her that that's not possible. I didn't touch anything, but she insists. So I pull of the panel and check it. I'm aggravated by now. What are those 2 wires disconnected? Dang it she is right again and she lets me know it! Ouch! Launch again and off we go.
    We get out past the head buoy and the wind has really picked up here. We started getting pounded and wet and I thought that maybe we'll just head in. I start turning around and heading back in, but things looked calmer towards Diamond Head so I head off along the ledge toward Diamond Head. We passed Diamond Head and the water starts getting really nice. We decided to head toward Koko Head and we'll turn around there.
    About 10 minutes after our U turn at Koko Head, we were commenting on how slow it was and that there weren't any birds anywhere, but it was nice to be out on the boat with the water calm. then the port rigger goes off and the 80 starts dumping line and the spinner doubles over and we see one big mahimahi and one small mahimahi jumping like crazy. We quickly clear all the other lines and I decided to take the spinning rod, and I put Travis on the 80. The line quickly breaks on the spinner running a kingbuster and 25 lb test leader. Travis commented that it's my lack of skill! I put the 80 in low gear for Travis and he starts cranking it in and he wears out after a while and I take over. After about 20 min. we finally get it to leader. I sink in the gaff and bring it in the boat. High fives all around!
    After so much adversity, we got a fish in the boat, we were so stoked and headed home. Happy New Year to all. Aloha and tight lines, Steve, Travis and Louise

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. zanegrange2

zanegrange2 Member

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    flight risk
    sweeeeeeeet........!

3. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Steve,

Great going on that mahi after such a hectic morning. It's good to see that Travis got out there and got a fish after being so excited the night before.

Jonny

4. Dances with Fish

Dances with Fish Newbie

Name:
    JIM
    Boat:
    18' Smokercraft, 26' Striper Dances with fish III
  5. wadesauto

wadesauto Newbie

Name:
    wade
    Boat:
    2150 seaswirl -FANTASEA
    nice catch. i saw you coming in the harbor around 4.

6. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    I'm glad you guys got something for all your hard work. Maybe I should have stuck it out but being solo I thought it was better to try again another day. About the battery pack I know what it's like to have your family with you and get bummed out, so no problem, anytime.

7. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Steve, nice mahi you guys caught. The water in town was way better then at Waianae thats for sure. good going again.

8. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Steve and family,

Way to persevere and get on the water, nice mahi for all your efforts (certainly better than hockey practice). Was down at the Waianae Harbor (on Saturday) working on the boat; was not a pleasant day.

So did Travis get any sleep or up all night waiting for the clicker to start making that beautiful noise (music to our ears)?

Cheers
    Pat

9. Gaji Lures

Gaji Lures Member

Name:
    Allan
    Great Job! Another Happy kid!

10. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    Good going one the mahi Steve.
    knew a band called Surftout. Were you in that band?

11. Kolina

Kolina Walt

Name:
    Walter T. Okuma Jr.
    Boat:
    25' Force COLLEEN
    Aloha Steve, Travis and Louise! You would have surely won the Mahimahi jackpot. Hope to see you guys next Saturday as it is calling for variables w/wind waves less than 2 feet. Congratulations again on the mahi. Aloha Walt

:hali_olutta: