Almost A Member
  • Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Hey guys,
    just a quick report from this weekends 1.5 BFT trip on the Tornado. Left out of the landing Friday night still full from thanksgiving. There must have been some serious disconnection between the office and the boat because they actually oversold the boat and resulted in a late start. After about 7 people left we were off with a load around 22 .

Weather going out had a good lump to it, but nothing that wouldn't keep you from sleeping comfortably. Captain and crew gave us the run down, we were looking at 15-25lb bft's so rig up with light leader and small hooks.

Around 4am the engine idled down and we started fishing on the east end of the Tanner bank. Right off the bat we were on fish. first fish over the rail was about 40lbs... second fish over the rail was about 150lbs... 3rd fish over the rail was about 70lbs.. 99% if not all the morning night bite came on big jigs.

the sun came up and we had ZERO wind, it was perfect conditions. blue fin tuna literally boiling in all directions, but always about 500ft from the boat. this lasted until about lunch time with some one always hooked up. Once it slowed down a bit we drove for about 30-40 minutes and found another large school that wanted to play. We worked those fish until the evening and then headed back to where we started to finish off the night bite. The night bite was slow and smaller grade fish, by far the best bite was from 6-11am.

The winning combo was a shoulder hooked sardine on 20-25lb floro, with a 1/4oz slide sinker with a Carolina stopper. 2 Asian guys on the boat absolutely killed it with this combo and I'm pretty sure they got 10 or 11 of the trips total fish.

I fished 25lb floro with 40lb braid, fought 1 for about 30 minutes on a 9' FS rod which was not fun at all and had it break off 3 cranks from gaff. the second one chewed off after 5 minutes and was on 30lb floro.

Summary: There are still LOTS of bluefin out there to be had. 20-30lb floro during the day and big jigs at night, those who tried 40lb leader were never bit. I would say we easily lost 3 or 4 for every 1 landed and the boat ended up with 23 for 22 people.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Nice job!
    wheresthepics.png

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thanks for the post. We're all bored to death.... but not going out either. I believe we will have fish there until the first major "slamming" storm happens. Could that be AFTER Christmas..... WHO KNOWS!!! 😉 👍

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Thanks for the post. We're all bored to death.... but not going out either. I believe we will have fish there until the first major "slamming" storm happens. Could that be AFTER Christmas..... WHO KNOWS!!! 😉 👍
    That landing has a lot of issues,
    Years ago, we waited for two people,
    That went to the wrong landing,
    And left A hour and a half later then we supposed to,
    And we arrived at SCI late, and missed the YT early bite, that sucked,
    And fortune caught 20 plus Yellows in the gray.sad.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Then there was the time we were over SCI on the ElDo out of Berth 55.
    Sick gray YT bite on the yoyo iron.
    When it slowed, all the other boats went east looking.
    I heard Target up in the wheelhouse saying on the radio 'We got our fish so we're going to sit it out here.'

Upvote 0