D3DMOO5

Jul 26, 2020
San Diego
Name
john skober
Boat
Not yet
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, have been on a few full day and half day trips renting a rod and reel never had much success.

I am ready to go for a 1.5 day to try to get some tuna and am trying to figure out how to best configure my two setups and if I need a third.

I currently have a Daiwai Seagate 30h on a varmac 7" 1 (15-40lb). I was planning on loading it with 25lb mono.

I also just purchased a Avet JX 6/3 two speed. I was going to load it with 65lb spectra with a 40lb mono leader.

Do you think this is adequate for a SD 1.5 day trip or should I get another rig (either in between or bigger????)

Thoughts, I don't want to over gear up, but also don't want to get stuck out there wishing I had prepared better.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie, have been on a few full day and half day trips renting a rod and reel never had much success.

I am ready to go for a 1.5 day to try to get some tuna and am trying to figure out how to best configure my two setups and if I need a third.

I currently have a Daiwai Seagate 30h on a varmac 7" 1 (15-40lb). I was planning on loading it with 25lb mono.

I also just purchased a Avet JX 6/3 two speed. I was going to load it with 65lb spectra with a 40lb mono leader.

Do you think this is adequate for a SD 1.5 day trip or should I get another rig (either in between or bigger????)

Thoughts, I don't want to over gear up, but also don't want to get stuck out there wishing I had prepared better.
    You could never have to much gear!! To your question, You need a 80-100 lb also.

Reactions: eat'm_raw
    Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    my best advice go when (and where) the fish are biting to improve your odds

remember to also check the sea conditions - wind, swell, current

and practice your knots

the last rig I would recommend buying for local fishing is the 80-100lb (unless you are are going for the cows and want your own rig vs renting)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    The two rigs you have should be fine for an average 1 1/2 day trip in the minimalist category. A 20 lb and 80 lb outfit were recommended throughout the summer. Watch the count and rent if it is recommended. Cows have been caught on the day boats. I have seen reels stripped in a blink. I brought 80 to 100 lb rigs and never needed them until I did and made PB catches. Again, stay informed.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Your Seagate/Varmac will do well for Paddy YT/Football Sized YFT.

What stick you got for the JX 6/3? That should be your primary rig for BFT from 25# up to 85#. Carry a variety of fluoro leaders 25 - 40#, and circle hooks size 1, 1/0 and 2/0. I would be tempted to bring some torpedo weights 2 - 6 ounces and rubber bands also. IF you are going to be fishing at night on your 1.5-Day then you should rent a 80/100# rig from the landing and purchase at least 1 big 300, 400 or 500 gram knife jig rigged for BFT. If you will be traveling at night / not fishing at night then I would consider skipping the Heavy. Good luck!

Upvote 0