Offshore 1.5 Day Trip on the Pacifica

PENN
May 13, 2018
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Andrew Chamberlain
Boat
Any
How's it going everyone I just got back yesterday morning from a 1.5 day charter on the Pacifica out of Seaforth with Aliyar at the helm and all I can say is wow. The bite is just about wide open on the bluefin. Everyone on the boat plus the crew got their limits and there were 2 yellowfin (20-25 pounds) to go along with it. All the bluefin that were brought over the rail were a solid 25-35 pounds, most were caught on bait with a smaller size hook between a size 4 and 6 depending on which brand you use and the others were caught on coltsnipers and smaller flatfalls. Line size was anywhere from 20 pound flouro to maybe 30 pound.

At about 9:30 am we made our first stop on a foamer and after that it was over. I went 0/2 but hooked up to 2 on a 100 gram coltsniper. I was hooked into a russian submarine that seemed pretty angry. The first run it took was pretty long and I won't lie I was afraid that this fish was gonna spool me I had almost half of my line out there (keep in mind this was on a Lexa 400). Eventually I tightened my drag and yes it took a few more runs but none like the first. After about 30 minutes of fighting this fish I was getting into my flourocarbon to which I had 40 yards of 25 pound. I had that fish up and down before heartbreak. Sadly the fish broke off and said bye-bye. It was a good battle I have my Lexa on a 8'6" Sabre medium action jigging rod. Great fight but I didn't let that one break off bring me down. After that I was hooked up again but had my drag buttoned down too tight and the fish popped off about 10 seconds later.

That school was 1 or 2 fish shy of giving us our limits of bluefin. The next stop did it for us and we had limits by 11 am! It wasn't until later in the evening we made the stop that kicked us a yellowfin and few more bluefin for the crew.

Overall the trip was a success and still got to go home with fish. Great boat, great crew, and can't leave out how good the food was. Limits of bluefin for a load of 26 guys by 11 is pretty impressive. If you have never fished on the Pacifica I highly recommend fishing with them, they are all knowledgeable and are more than willing to help you.

Thanks for reading everyone I hope this gives everyone an idea of what is going on out on the water and what to use.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Mark
Boat
1802 Trophy WA
It was definitely a fun trip, the bft were on us pretty good on that mid morning stop. Wish the limit was more than 2 for the smaller stuff. Or that there was a way to C&R safely being able to remove the hooks, and not break them off leaving line hanging out their mouths.

Reactions: Andrew Chamberlain
Upvote 0
May 13, 2018
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Andrew Chamberlain
Boat
Any
It was definitely a fun trip, the bft were on us pretty good on that mid morning stop. Wish the limit was more than 2 for the smaller stuff. Or that there was a way to C&R safely being able to remove the hooks, and not break them off leaving line hanging out their mouths.
Ya that would be cool if that was a thing, like go looking for the bigger fish after your limits and some how bring them up without gaffing them.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Wish for more than two for the smaller stuff? Lets just stop n think how much sense that makes.....

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    Wish for more than two for the smaller stuff? Lets just stop n think how much sense that makes.....

Considering the trip cost was $410 without meals, and when all said and done easily another $200 for the travel, meals on the boat, tips, etc... yeah it would be nice to take home more than a couple 20lbers. Not sure why that needed an explanation. If we were catching 150+lbers I would have had more than enough meat with just one.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Yeah just drop limit laws altogether so everyone gets their moneys worth, Kill em all......

Last edited:
    Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Considering the trip cost was $410 without meals, and when all said and done easily another $200 for the travel, meals on the boat, tips, etc... yeah it would be nice to take home more than a couple 20lbers. Not sure why that needed an explanation. If we were catching 150+lbers I would have had more than enough meat with just one.
    600+ dollars will buy a lot of nice fish at the fish market.

Upvote 0

Mark C.

Jul 20, 2005
    Murrieta
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1802 Trophy WA
    600+ dollars will buy a lot of nice fish at the fish market.

I’m sure it would but I would much rather spend time on the water. Whether I catch fish or not isn’t nearly as important as enjoying doing what I love which is being out on the water fishing.

My original comment to Andrew was tongue in cheek, because we both have the understanding that once we caught our limits we went from having a blast to doing a shit load of driving around searching, with very little action.

Reactions: Andrew Chamberlain
    Upvote 0