PENN

Eric&Son

May 20, 2019
Temescal Valley
Name
Eric
Boat
Boston Whaler 170
Been lurking around the forums for a while but new to posting. I'm new to saltwater fishing but my 8 year old is hooked. I've been reading around trying to get an idea of boats to head out on. We've done one overnight on Thunderbird out of Davey's Locker. Looking to get out of San Diego.

I'm looking in to New Lo-An and Tomahawk right now. Dates don't match up for me with PQ. I've also checked out Islander.

Seems like I can't really go wrong with any of the boats I'm looking at.

Am I overlooking anything else I should be checking out?

Any other recommendation?

I will be posting in fishing chit chat also regarding my gear setup and some questions I have there but I'm looking to book a June trip and a July trip ASAP to get them on the books.

If it matters, I'm quite new at fishing, so a crew that's good with the less informed would be good but I'm assuming all the crews are going to be great.

Thank you in advance

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
With a kid I would go with the islander or tomahawk. Much more comfortable boats than the NLA. The NLA has 2 draw backs for a child, heads are up front in the bow on the outside and it has a pretty small galley for sitting down in during the long hours. That’s my 2 cents. The NLA is one of fishiest boats, great crew great everything actually, but might be a little rough for a kid. The islander has staterooms, bigger galley and heads indoors and a big deck up top to hang out on. The tomahawk has normal bunking but some of them are huge. They have a small top deck. Heads are in doors.

Reactions: Eric&Son
Upvote 0

Eric&Son

May 20, 2019
Temescal Valley
Name
Eric
Boat
Boston Whaler 170
With a kid I would go with the islander or tomahawk. Much more comfortable boats than the NLA. The NLA has 2 draw backs for a child, heads are up front in the bow on the outside and it has a pretty small galley for sitting down in during the long hours. That’s my 2 cents. The NLA is one of fishiest boats, great crew great everything actually, but might be a little rough for a kid. The islander has staterooms, bigger galley and heads indoors and a big deck up top to hang out on. The tomahawk has normal bunking but some of them are huge. They have a small top deck. Heads are in doors.
Great info. Thank you sir

Upvote 0

Tomahawk Sportfishing

Almost A Member
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego
Name
Tomahawk Sportfishing
Boat
Tomahawk
Eric,
I'm gonna take a wild guess that you just booked for 6/28 and 7/31 for you and your son. Thanks for choosing Tomahawk. The crew will know before the trip that you guys are new to ocean fishing, and that your 8 year old son is coming along and they'll be ready to help him have a great time on the boat!

-Eric

Upvote 0

Eric&Son

May 20, 2019
Temescal Valley
Name
Eric
Boat
Boston Whaler 170
Eric,
I'm gonna take a wild guess that you just booked for 6/28 and 7/31 for you and your son. The crew will know before the trip that you guys are new to ocean fishing, and that your 8 year old son is coming along and they'll be ready to help him have a great time on the boat!

-Eric
Yes sir. That was us. We can't wait. I haven't told my son I booked them yet. He's going to be super excited.

Looking forward to the trip!

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I’m not so sure Tomahawk is a good choice for a first trip. You are setting the bar too high. Once you go out with them every other boat in the fleet ( with a few exceptions) is going to be disappointing;)
Seriously, excellent choice, you will have a great time!

Upvote 0