Fishn' Frank
Jul 6, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Frank
Boat Name
n/a
AprilBluefin.jpg

First time on the Shogun. Booked a trip a few weeks ago when the boats started looking for BF. We shoved off with 23 tanglers (which they weren't) and headed South, West of Ensenada. Were were instructed to have dinner and get some rest cause it was a night bite. Went to bed and was awakened at 10:30, time to fish. We started putting fish on the deck immediately on the first stop. Mixed size 15-70# with the avg being in the 20-30# class. Knife jigging was the name of the game. I got my first fish at midnight one a 200g Zebra SK jig. I was using a 400g Zebra jig most of the time but I ended up going back to a smaller 200g squid color knife jig after seeing the majority of the fish being caught on the squid color and Katty Perry and smaller size jigs. After 3 more hours of grinding I was rewarded with the last fish of the evening, a 40# model, which put us at passenger limits...the night bight was over.

We spent the next day looking for YT on kelps. Found plenty of kelps but we only ended up with 10, 5-8# YT for the trip, I got 2. I should have used this time to sleep. Renee said that he was looking for larger model BF and it was a time of day bite. Around 4 we started metering schools, he found a school that wanted to party, and on the slide I came tight on a 25# test, on a 40# model. We ended up with 4 more fish putting close to crew limits. I kept 2 BF and gave the other to some who didn't catch any. The other anglers were above average and we had minimal tangles and everyone played well together.

The Shogun is a nice wide boat with plenty of room everywhere, the deck, staterooms and galley. The crew was on every person hooked up and very friendly. Food was great and plentiful. I would highly recommend the boat and would go on it again.

Public service announcement: I read on another fishing source from another boat Captain that a passenger got a very large 7/0 hook buried in his finger. He was advised against trying to remove the jig himself before the crew had a chance to spike the fish, He became impatient wanted to get back in the water, didn't listen to the crew advise, chose to remove the jig himself, and paid the price. They pushed the hook through, hack off the barbed end and backed the hook out. OOOOF

Go get out and get some!

Tight lines!

Baja Bev
Baja Bev
I've had 3 trips on the Shogun ranging from 3 to 15 days. AWESOME boat and crew! Looks like you were one of the hotsticks! Congrats.
Reactions: fv1500
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great report/pics Frank and NICE FISH.
    Shogun has always been a fishy boat. LOL
    Glad you had great trip. Hooks hurt. I had
    a Dorado throw a Zuker w/ a 7/0 back thru
    my right cheek for 28 stitches on the way home. Years ago on Freelance.
    We went back, and I got the Dorado...all
    taped up. LOL BIG OWEEEEE's suck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    View attachment 1371065

First time on the Shogun. Booked a trip a few weeks ago when the boats started looking for BF. We shoved off with 23 tanglers (which they weren't) and headed South, West of Ensenada. Were were instructed to have dinner and get some rest cause it was a night bite. Went to bed and was awakened at 10:30, time to fish. We started putting fish on the deck immediately on the first stop. Mixed size 15-70# with the avg being in the 20-30# class. Knife jigging was the name of the game. I got my first fish at midnight one a 200g Zebra SK jig. I was using a 400g Zebra jig most of the time but I ended up going back to a smaller 200g squid color knife jig after seeing the majority of the fish being caught on the squid color and Katty Perry and smaller size jigs. After 3 more hours of grinding I was rewarded with the last fish of the evening, a 40# model, which put us at passenger limits...the night bight was over.

We spent the next day looking for YT on kelps. Found plenty of kelps but we only ended up with 10, 5-8# YT for the trip, I got 2. I should have used this time to sleep. Renee said that he was looking for larger model BF and it was a time of day bite. Around 4 we started metering schools, he found a school that wanted to party, and on the slide I came tight on a 25# test, on a 40# model. We ended up with 4 more fish putting close to crew limits. I kept 2 BF and gave the other to some who didn't catch any. The other anglers were above average and we had minimal tangles and everyone played well together.

The Shogun is a nice wide boat with plenty of room everywhere, the deck, staterooms and galley. The crew was on every person hooked up and very friendly. Food was great and plentiful. I would highly recommend the boat and would go on it again.

Public service announcement: I read on another fishing source from another boat Captain that a passenger got a very large 7/0 hook buried in his finger. He was advised against trying to remove the jig himself before the crew had a chance to spike the fish, He became impatient wanted to get back in the water, didn't listen to the crew advise, chose to remove the jig himself, and paid the price. They pushed the hook through, hack off the barbed end and backed the hook out. OOOOF

Go get out and get some!

Tight lines!
    Great report! Thank you for the intel and public service announcement. Yikes!
    Renee and the Shogun crew are fantastic!
    Looking forward to my next trip.
    Regards
    Scott

Reactions: fv1500
    Upvote 0

palella09

Almost A Member
    Jul 2, 2015
    Name
    Tony
    Boat Name
    12' Scrambler XT
    Glad you got em... But am I the only one to wanted to see a picture of the hook?

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    that's why you ALWAYS wanna have a vial of 1% lidocaine and syringes in your kit JUST IN CASE someone takes a hook like that. that way there's zero pain when removed. just something to think about.
    That boat is known to have something in hand, maybe.

Upvote 0

fv1500

Fishn' Frank
    Jul 6, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Frank
    Boat Name
    n/a
    I don’t know what you do for a living, but I am an Anesthesiologist. If you use epinephrine and inject at the base of the finger you are asking for trouble
    Glad you got em... But am I the only one to wanted to see a picture of the hook?
    Thanks, it would be a copyright infringement to use the photo.

The hook was imbedded in the ring finger on the palm side right below the wedding ring. It entered the finger on the pinky side with the eye of the hook facing toward the thumb with the point and barb not visible. It was a Mustad 7/0 with the white tinsel and shiny pink mylar.

My concern would be ring avulsion.

Upvote 0

mike82

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat Name
    a fish killing center console
    I don’t know what you do for a living, but I am an Anesthesiologist. If you use epinephrine and inject at the base of the finger you are asking for trouble.
    we use it all the time in the ED for hand/digit lacs without issue.

Upvote 0