jrsay2

_
Apr 7, 2011
yorba linda,ca
Name
Ron
Boat
no name
Got back in this morning. Great trip, great captain Ray, great crew.
Left the landing @ 5:30 pm on Wednesday. Soon after a short stop at the bait receiver we had a safety briefing and short seminar on what to expect. A quick pasta dinner it was off to our cribs. The trip out to the tuna grounds was flat with no or very little wind.
1:00 am time to get up and fish. Flat falls were what worked. After about 20 minutes, hook ups started to happen. It was a steady pick all thru the dark.
We always had at least 2-3 fish hanging the whole time. I got my first fish after probably 30 minutes on a 300gr glow in the dark with a single 8/0 hook on a MK16 with 80lb flouro for for my leader. The fish didn't have a chance. It took very little drag and almost came straight in. Captain Ray said these wouldn't be the 100 pounders. This fish weighed in at 43lbs.
Next I threw out a Katie Perry 160gr with 60lb test. Bit again. This one went 48lbs, better fight.
After reaching my 2 fish limit I wanted to hook and hand a fish if I could.
I never got the chance. I got bit 2 more times but both came unbuttoned after pulling drag.
Like I said earlier we had fish going the whole time. By the time the sun started coming up we had 44 BFT on board.
We stayed in the area, which I don't know exactly where we were but in the far distance you could see San Clemente Island, for a couple more hours to get boat limits. There were about 10 boats around us including the Polaris Supreme and the Pacific Queen.
We then left the area to paddy hop. Found quite a few paddies and most were holding baby YT. All released. We were able to get some keepers, most by far most were throw backs.
What worked: Flat falls all mine were on the retrieve. 25lb flouro both with 4oz sinker and fly lined.
All and all the AA is very fishy. The Captain and crew have a well deserved reputation of being one of the best. They are as good as any out there.

Cubanaso

Pezcador
Aug 12, 2014
Name
Andrew
Boat
river sled
I was also on this trip. We were very lucky to find a hungry/willing school of fish that wanted to die. If we didn't have the WFO morning we did we would have been grinding it out like the rest of the fleet and waiting for the night bite.

Every school of fish is different and this one was particularly hot, they really wanted a jig that was moving - most bites were on the retrieve. The smaller flat fall (130/160 gram) and lighter leader (50/60lb) got bit very very well - just check and re-tie after each fish if needed. The fish in that area (out west) are all that 40-65 lb with some smaller models mixed in, totally doable on lighter gear. You can pull plenty hard on 50lb and kill these things quick.

Daytime - sinker rig, fly line, colt snipers all got bit

Good luck

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Suppose it's gotta be a really cold fish for this not work...

1620424362045.png

luv2phish

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 5, 2004
    chula vista
    Name
    manny
    Boat
    n/a
    Nice! Thanks for the intel........Can't wait for my 2.5 day on the PV...... hope the weather holds......

Upvote 0

Capt. Condor

Oct 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Connor Doyle
    Boat
    Skipjack 25 Sports Cruiser
    Did any flat fall / slow pitch type jig work, or were most of these fish Shimano brand whores?

Drop these down and hang on buddy!

• Dislike
    Reactions: Pitchinwedge