jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
There was a guy on the PV trip with us that was pretty much sick from the moment he got on the boat, and stayed in his bunk almost the entire trip (I don't think I actually ever saw the guy wet a line).

At the end of the trip, when they were collecting for the galley, the guy ended up owing a pretty good amount of cash (tackle rental, three kite rotations, etc, etc, etc) - even though he didn't fish. Plus they still expected him to tip the boat out. Long story short, he didn't have enough cash to pay up, so when we arrived back at the slip, the owner made the guy go up and take money out of the ATM at the hotel (which is highway robbery in itself). They held his belongings on the boat, just in case he didn't return.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...
The kite $$ is bullshit,
But renting the rods is on him,
I have friends that were green from the get go,
And never wet a line, the whole trip,
They were not worried about the $$,
They were just happy to be back on dry
Land.

Reactions: aguachico

scott v

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 3, 2011
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Scott
Boat
Keep wishing
I’ve seen it happen in PV and had it affect me both ways. I never had a problem with it and actually agree with the system. However, I Always fished a charter and knew what was to expected.

Here’s a different one but not from this boat. Got two good bluefin on a trip a little while back. Fish were gilled and gutted before going into the hold which I have always seen done on other boats. pay for my tab at the end of the trip and I have bill for $90, $60 for the gill and gut and an additional $30 for a fish that was mandatorily filleted because of lack of space in the hold. Caught everyone by surprise. Sometimes communication goes along away and can save problems in the end.

CaliJeepHuntr

May 21, 2008
San Luis Obispo
Name
Nick
Boat
Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
Everybody's money is the same color.One pissed off customer and the others ? I would think somebody else was very happy to take a turn with the kite that had not caught a fish yet.I get it that somebody had their turn taken from them but he caught a beautiful fish without the help of the crew.I'd be thrilled about it myself.I guess i just have a different mindset about fishing than some.
My opinion is.... if the captain told me I had to give up my spot in the rotation I'd be effing pissed. For me to make a trip down there it's a 6-8 hour drive depending on traffic, it's a minimum 1 day off of work. I'm looking at getting on a boat down there soon, but I don't get many chances go after big bluefin.

So if I paid my money to fish on the boat just like everyone else, then I get my turn in the rotation REGARDLESS if I had already caught one fish. To tell a paying customer otherwise, AFTER the boat was already out there, that's some total BS and a boat I don't want to go on.

So to the original poster, state the boats name so I can cross it off my list of potential boats to try and get on.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
The kite $$ is bullshit,
But renting the rods is on him,
I have friends that were green from the get go,
And never wet a line, the whole trip,
They were not worried about the $$,
They were just happy to be back on dry
Land.
Ah ha, but not being told about having to pay to use a (beat-up) boat rod when everything is supposed to be included - as in "all included" - hummm...

I'm sure the guy was happy to get off the boat, but getting strong-armed "or else" in the end must have really stung.

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
My experience on LR boats is that fishermen who have already caught a nice fish... take a pass on their kite so that the next guy can have a shot at one. Many folk would choose to bypass their turn at the kite whether they had a nice fish or not simply because its not really fishing.
but that was before these tunas moved into overnight range 5 or so years ago... and this latest generation of entitled fishermen came along

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I think you are ignoring the piece in my post that specifically stated. “Bait fishing was extremely tough” this means the Bluefin had no interest in a bait that was fly lined or sinker rigged. If you have never experienced this phenomenon while Bluefin fishing you are extremely lucky or haven’t fished Bluefin enough.
If I can butt hook unlimited mackerel among crashing fish I will get bit....

joshc1024

Aug 23, 2009
oceanside/ca/US
Name
Josh
Boat
none
Bummer if it really is the constitution, I fished on that boat a few weeks ago, had a good time and thought Chase the captain ran a good crew. But I’d be pissed if that would’ve happened to me.
Also, what’s the deal with posting something like this and not actually naming the boat? It’s worse than leaving bad yelp reviews, at least yelpers have the balls to leave the reviews on the business page.

joe pimentel

Me Hung Low
Dec 27, 2010
pismo beach, ca. U.S.A.
Name
Joe P.
Boat
The Pacific Mistress
Grow a set of balls :ashamed: and question the Captain that's total Bullshit they would black ball my ass if that happened to me. FTS :finger:

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
If I can butt hook unlimited mackerel among crashing fish I will get bit....
Sorry not on this day you wouldn’t. We had one full tank of beautiful 8 to 10” macs on the boat. I fish my first 5 hours in 15 knot winds strictly with macs without a sniff. The first 2 of the total 3 bait fish were taken on small 5” sardines, so it wasn’t rocket science to switch my bait selection and I was the last bait fish taken for the rest of the day. Go figure?

Reactions: esgeo and Cubeye

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
I don't get not naming the boat? You gonna go on it again or something? I've had crappy service from bait and switch people...I tell EVERYONE I can to avoid them...that is the way it works...you screw people, you go out of business...you treat people well, then more customers show up. Why even post it if you are not going to name the boats? Even the PV boats...why not say who the jerks are?

Reactions: Pitchinwedge

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I don't get not naming the boat? You gonna go on it again or something? I've had crappy service from bait and switch people...I tell EVERYONE I can to avoid them...that is the way it works...you screw people, you go out of business...you treat people well, then more customers show up. Why even post it if you are not going to name the boats? Even the PV boats...why not say who the jerks are?
As a business owner, I just don’t feel bashing him to the primary community that supports his business is the best approach. If you read other replies to my post it appears this may be somewhat common place.

What I did do for you and everyone else is give you some free advice based on a valuable lesson I learned from my experience on this trip and that is: If you happen to book a trip on a boat to specifically target Cow or Super Cow BFT and you know the best chance to hang one of these is on the kite, just ask the captain if you will lose your turn at bat if you catch a bait fish first. That is a 100% guarantee you will have prior knowledge to the policy.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
As a business owner, I just don’t feel bashing him to the primary community ...

What I did do for you and everyone else is give you some free advice based on a valuable lesson I learned ...
Yeah I guess being blinded by the surprise overlooked the great info you provided.
thanks and tight lines

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
As a business owner, I just don’t feel bashing him to the primary community that supports his business is the best approach. If you read other replies to my post it appears this may be somewhat common place.

What I did do for you and everyone else is give you some free advice based on a valuable lesson I learned from my experience on this trip and that is: If you happen to book a trip on a boat to specifically target Cow or Super Cow BFT and you know the best chance to hang one of these is on the kite, just ask the captain if you will lose your turn at bat if you catch a bait fish first. That is a 100% guarantee you will have prior knowledge to the policy.
Thread is too long for me to read

Correct. Kite rules always need to be explained, before the fishing starts. Better to know the rules for a boat before the trip is booked for these fish btw

I can give allot of different examples of different rules for the kite and troll/hoo. That had always been explained before the fishing started

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor

That's a good point and good advice, but I would not even think of asking that question had I not read your thread.

I think it's more the captain's responsibility to set the rules before fishing starts. Sounds more like he was making the rules as he goes.

Reactions: aguachico

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
How does me asking “are you a liberal?” make me a douchebag? It’s a simple question. So many sensitive snowflakes in this world nowadays.
Not a simple question but a stupid question considering the subject matter of this thread.

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
Long thread here. Rustman, you covered every initial thought that I had about your OP and why it bothered you so much to begin with. I distill it down to one thing, preferential treatment for a, "friend of the boat". It has been a feature of sportfishing boats my entire life and it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There are a handful of boats that I have not seen it happen on, (AA and Islander come to mind), but otherwise it usually shows up somewhere in the mix. Treat everyone the same, it's just good business!

Koyote

Salty
Oct 18, 2018
Menifee
Name
Z
Boat
None
Im glad you shared this experience with us, this was not the 1st time I've heard this about that opperation. I'm always jumping around on different boats and finding the boats that I like best now the list is shorter. I don't have deep pockets so I like to know exactly what to expect when I go out . (Maybe when I choose a boat to stick with ill get some of that special treatment..lol) Sorry about your experience brother.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Im glad you shared this experience with us, this was not the 1st time I've heard this about that opperation. I'm always jumping around on different boats and finding the boats that I like best now the list is shorter. I don't have deep pockets so I like to know exactly what to expect when I go out . (Maybe when I choose a boat to stick with ill get some of that special treatment..lol) Sorry about your experience brother.
if they favored other Anglers that was totality wrong,
but I have been on the Maxima's, where
they were trying to get every one At least one BFT .

Reactions: Koyote

mma

May 12, 2011
santa rosa/ca/usa
Name
gary furness
Boat
na
nice report, congrats on your fish!
however, your rationale for not naming the boat is very weak.
you are potentially letting others fall for the same trap.
bad behavior by the captain and/or owner, his/her responsibility to clean it
up,and your remaining quiet on it, is enabling that to continue.