rustman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
He name's the boat, you guy's realize this is your favorite boat with the best skipper to ever walk on a deck and now guess who the cock sucker is? Yeah this place dose have a reputation.
I don’t want to hurt anyone’s business and I did learn a valuable lesson. The lesson I learned should be information enough to help you when you get on any boats.

If I go on another trip specifically targeting Cow BFT and I know the kite may be the only effective method, I will be the first one to ask the captain if I just happen to catch my own bait fish before my kite rotation will I lose my opportunity. If that is the case, I will just sleep until my number is called, LOL.

I suggest anyone else with a plan to jump on an overnight to specifically target the Cows do the same thing.

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I guess I’m the lone dissenter. I can see the capt trying to get everyone a fish. Personally I think he should have stated that’s what he’ll do, then after everyone has gotten one he should have gone back in order on those that were passed over.

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I don’t want to hurt anyone’s business and I did learn a valuable lesson. The lesson I learned should be information enough to help you when you get on any boats.

If I go on another trip specifically targeting Cow BFT and I know the kite may be the only effective method, I will be the first one to ask the captain if I just happen to catch my own bait fish before my kite rotation will I lose my opportunity. If that is the case, I will just sleep until my number is called, LOL.

I suggest anyone else with a plan to jump on an overnight to specifically target the Cows do the same thing.
I get you don’t want to be the bad guy, but it’s the captain’s own policy that would be hurting his business. Especially if he is playing favorites with regulars.
In the current climate those of us that are still trying hard to support the boats with our dollars want to spend them wisely. That’s why we keep asking.

Reactions: dpennell

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I'm with the Captain on this one.It's the boats kite rod,it's up to them and they're trying to get every passenger a fish,sounds good to me.Don't be greedy when you already have a 130 lb. fish.Catches a 130 lb. fish and complains.I've heard it all now.

Last edited:

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
That does suck pretty bad, I'd be pissed. Put in all that effort and don't get a shot at the kite.
A little off topic but can't they fly 2 kites? I've been on long trips where we did. Does that only work on the anchor?
You totally can if the wind is cooperating.

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I'm with the Captain on this one.It's the boats kite rod,it's up to them and they're trying to get every passenger a fish,sounds good to me.Don't be greedy when you already have a 130 lb. fish.

And what about the regular that got to do both?

point of the post? Who knows. Watch out for this boat if you don’t like this policy! What boat? Nobody’s telling.

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip

Should have given you the option. Anyhow WTG on getting it done without the kite.

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Or if the guy already has a bait fish, the skipper should ask him if he wants the kite rod or pass it off to someone who doesn't have a fish yet.
Oh I wouldn’t have taken the kite fish home if I had the opportunity to catch one. I would just be happy to pull on one.

I always try to make sure everyone goes home with fish on the tough days. I have had days when one or 2 fish were caught and I happen to be the lucky angler. I ask the crew to make as many single serving bags as possible and I don’t bother to take any myself. I fish more often than most and know I didn’t have to stretch my $$ to get there.

I have a number of fish over 200 lbs, but one more never gets old.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The hypocrisy is obvious. If you are first in the rotation and get a fish, then you are free fish for another with bait, but not other way around. I don't think this would have went down so easily with me.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
If fish were around and the bait is cured and they allowed me to change baits as often as I like (especially macks) I would not want a turn on the kite..most everyone stops bait fishin to wait for the kite.? I would be laughing so hard as I busted my ass...

Mcgyver

Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
www.calcofi.org
Name
David Mcgyver
Boat
17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
I respect not naming the boat, but I think the policy is a disgrace to the spirit of fishing. We all know some anglers do better than others and they should not be handicapped because we worked hard and got a fish before our number was called. The randomness of the numbers means you could have gotten on the kite earlier and then got a bait fish. Total crap, the captain should issue a refund and stop such a rediculous policy. I hate that kind of shit on party boats it is akin to bullying!

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I can't imagine not fishing in that situation. Fish are around, Tank full of bait I'm fishing. Sitting around waiting for the kite? How lame, gotta keep it honest, keep baits in the water, those fish could decide to get with the program at any time.

Hippie

Old and Mean
Jun 22, 2017
Mother Earth
Name
Hippie
Boat
Atude
I’ve been avoiding these kite trips for 3 years now. Get handed a fish on piano wire slap it on the railand pretend you did something great - whatever I don’t know where I’m going with this but kite fishing is lame especially on sport boats.
Slam your winch to the rail and let the boat kill the fish then get your picture taken,put it on your avatar and make believe you are a sportsman

Dudley613

May 20, 2015
Inyotuckee CA
Name
Chris
Boat
21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
At this point only the Constitution fits the criteria. The total count is 3 fish short (21) , but it’s the only boat with only BFT and a 1.5 day trip.
Read this post and thought the same

Reactions: Haly0

cioppino

Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Beyond bullshit. Only real reason to go is a shot at a jumbo on the right gear, kite gear. The captain robbed you of that opportunity and should refund you.
So let's say you hooked a second bait fish, using the captains logic the crew would have to take the rod from you and hand it to an angler without a fish. No fucking way.

Btw your generosity is amazing, but my limit is 2 and I'd love to take 2 home. I have lots and lots of struggling hungry friends with families due to this covid nightmare, they could use meat in the fridge and freezer. Dinner is much cheaper when you only need to buy rice and greens.

I guess when its yellowfin time the only trollers will be asshats who can't get bent!

Glad I get to make my own rules on my boat.

getaway

Aug 22, 2008
jamul
Name
jim
Boat
23 parker, sea venture
That is just plain wrong! Name the boat.

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
Any captain wants all his passengers to bring home fish. It makes for better numbers and more ‘word of mouth’ reputation.

That being said, I’d have told the passengers to get bait in the water, and directed the crew to keep the energy high.

And it would have been FULL rotation on the kite.

craig ito

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2017
norwalk
Name
craig
Boat
seaswirl
As you already know rustman you got burned...even on the long trip if your on a fish when your rotation is up, they skip you and go to next, but after your done fighting fish your back up next in line on the kite! EVERYONE gets an EQUAL opportunity never loose your turn!!! as a captain I would want a seasoned veteran on the rod pulling on that fish for probably half the time than the rent rod guy would get it done, which would give more time to hook another....If that is the case the captain should have clearly stated his kite and rotation rules with his safety and fishing speech on the way out...he would have been right to ASK YOU if you would be willing to give up your turn!!that’s why I try and fish charters, but if I’m going open party kite fishing will definitely be asking about there kite fishing rules here on out before it’s deployed, cause I’m like rustman, put time in at the rail, get rewarded with a baitfish!!! Real skills!!! That’s why KITE fish don’t count in the long range jackpots...try catching a cow on bait then come talk to me...long soak sardine 7/0 circle hook 130lb little current with a 50W....way to get that bait fish anyways more rewarding, but I know what you mean about getting that Duce here in our local waters!!! good karma for you not blasting captain and boat, and guys ask questions and make it clear to avoid this!!!

Reactions: Olddog8