rustman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
Boat did well. 24 total fish all BFT 100 to 250 lbs. Only 3 bait fish and the rest were kite/ballon fish on dead flyers.

I was one of the 3 that got a bait fish. It was tough bait fishing without a doubt, but you need to be persistent and stick with it on such a short trip. 80% of the people on the boat just gave up bait fishing and waited for their number to be called when the kite got bit. It was like a complete spectator game. Truly all of the biggest fish were on the kite, mine was a smaller model at near 130ish and I fished hard all day. This is more than enough fish for me and my friends, so I was grateful, but I still wanted a shot at a 200lb + fish.

Here is the rub. When my number came up for a shot at the kite, the captain said “Hey you got a bait fish right” I replied yes I did and he told me I could not have a turn on the kite. WTF? I paid the same as everyone else on the boat, worked harder that many of the rent rodders on the boat and seen one of the regulars “who also got a bait fish” get his turn on the kite and boated a 200lb + fish. I thought that captains would want people to fish while they are not on the kite to possibly increase their catch numbers. Doesn’t this logical thought process make them look better and gain more business?

This type of policy will only motivate skilled anglers who want a shot at a COW “Not to fish” if there are 60 to 100 lb fish chewing the paint off the boat, well at least until they have already had their turn on the kite. Well unless you are the regulars to whom those same rules don’t apply.

Lesson learned here would be. If I ever fish that boat again and the Cows are biting the kite. I should stay in my bunk until my number is called. After I get my opportunity on the kite, fish like there is no tomorrow to hook and land my own fish. 50% of the kite fish were reeled in by the deck crew when the less than experienced anglers gave up after a 5 min tug-of-war, LOL 😆

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
I think my buddy was on this trip. Did the same thing happen to the other anglers who caught bait fish?
In principle, I completely agree, if you pay your fare and you are called in the rotation you should have your turn. At a minimum, they should say that up front, "Kite fishing will be for those who have not caught a fish"

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
80% of the people on the boat just gave up bait fishing and waited for their number to be called when the kite got bit.
WTF? I paid the same as everyone else on the boat, worked harder that many of the rent rodders.
Kind of sounds like how our country is today, you work hard - you kind of get shit on. :shithappens::shithappens::shithappens:

You lay around and do as little as possible, you get everything given to you. :finger:

Last edited:

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
I think my buddy was on this trip. Did the same thing happen to the other anglers who caught bait fish?
In principle, I completely agree, if you pay your fare and you are called in the rotation you should have your turn. At a minimum, they should say that up front, "Kite fishing will be for those who have not caught a fish"
Or if the guy already has a bait fish, the skipper should ask him if he wants the kite rod or pass it off to someone who doesn't have a fish yet.

HBtunatime

May 31, 2019
HB
Name
Collin
Boat
12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
yup that's a joke if everyone didn't agree to it from the start, please name the boat or PM me. Hope you had a word with the captain over it.

But thanks for the report and congrats on the fish!

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Congratulations on your fish, Nice Work! And Yes You Got F'd Post the Name!

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
He name's the boat, you guy's realize this is your favorite boat with the best skipper to ever walk on a deck and now guess who the cock sucker is? Yeah this place does have a reputation.

Last edited:

momaguro

Sep 23, 2011
Pacific Beach
Name
David
Boat
Pequod
Happy you got a nice BFT for your hard work and much appreciate the useful feedback on the boat.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
That does suck pretty bad, I'd be pissed. Put in all that effort and don't get a shot at the kite.
A little off topic but can't they fly 2 kites? I've been on long trips where we did. Does that only work on the anchor?

Reactions: bdubs73

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Way to stick it out and get a dink! Only about 3-4x my PB haha. Sorry you got RF'd out of a potentially productive term in kite jail. One more reason to wear a mask--the crew less likely to recognize you as a guy who caught a bait fish. 8-)

Good Fishin'!
BDC OK

kdrouet

Sep 10, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
Dude
Boat
M40 Knight and Carver
I can tell you Rusty fishes hard and what happened is not cool. If the boat is taking turns on the dead flyers, everyone who’s number is called should be allowed to
Fish. The amount of fish caught on the flyers was high, 21 plus, wow what a day.

I know the boat but won’t say anything.

• Sad
Reactions: joe pimentel

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
I would definitely be thankful to have gotten one on bait. But I agree with you and everyone else, that is a load of crap. I'd be pissed