1.5 day for BFT; how does the day/night unfold?

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
So how has it been going on recent 1.5 day BFT trips? Mine is leaving at 7pm and gets back 1.5 days later at 8am. Obviously every trip is a little different, but what's the pattern been lately? I assume that it starts with something like early AM flat falls. Then what . . . chase schools all day followed another night of flat-falls? Sleep only when the boat is moving?

J
Jlmuncie
If the fish are close expect to be fishing by 1 or 2am. The boats I've been on have stopped fishing the second night around 9pm because of the time needed to clean the boat and stuff but YMMV.
Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Just got back from the area. Fished on a private but. The bite has been night / early morning. That is why the boat is leaving at 7 instead of 10. Most are using flat fall type of jigs in the dark and then sinker/bait once the sun comes up. We caught one at 125lbs and one at 50lbs. We didn't get out there until 4:30 which was a bummer. We had a party boat cruise by us and they said they had 15 on the boat. This was at 7:30.

The fact we could here this as they drive by meant they were too close to us. That's a story for another day. :)

Reactions: Fincutter
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I just got back last night from a 2 day trip. I got 4 fish but you had to work hard to get a limit. The best fishing has been at night with flatfalls. Don't give up and head to your bunk. Stay up and put in the time at the rail. The best flatfalls on our trip were the 250g Katy Perry's and the 200g and 250g glow in the dark. We had calm conditions and you might have to use 320g or 340g flatfalls if the wind is blowing or the drift is bad.
Most of the fish have been 150' to 300'. Your flatfall will drop about 5' per second so count as you let it drop. 30 seconds is 150', 60 seconds is 300'.
Once the sun comes up switch to bait, either flyline or sinker rig. 4 oz worked for us but bring 6oz and 8oz just in case. It can be tough to get bit on bait during the day. Don't be tempted to drop down to 30lb or 40lb line. I fell to temptation and hooked a 100lb+ on 30lb and after getting my ass kicked for 2 hours I lost it at the gaff. There are a lot of 125lb, 150lb and 175lb fish swimming around and you never know when you will hook one of the bigger models.
Some guys had good luck on knife jigs and Colt Snipers. I just stuck with flatfalls at night and bait during the day and I did fine.

shooter21

Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
Just got back last night from an overnighter on the Aztec. 37 bft with 8 over 100#. Some dark greylight flatfall, sinker rig on 80# worked well early, a few were using a sliding sinker and got bit, some flyline on the small grade and 100g jigs.. I got bit 10 times in 9hrs. Using all these methods

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Did a 2.5 day on the Searcher and returned last week Thursday AM.
We left Memorial Day Monday at 6 pm.

Fished outside of Ensenada with the whole fleet. Arrived a little later as we made macs at the bait barge and stopped again at North Coronado Island to make more as there were almost none at the bait barge in SD Bay.

Long story short - fishing in daytime and night time - I basically got not sleep to not miss fishing time. I would lay in bunk with phone's timer set to maxs 1.5 hours but would get up everytime the boat stopped. Towards end would wait to see if the really stopped or just kept moving after chum tossed.

Night bite: Flatfalls sucked for me( heavy 300 gr glow in dark). What worked for others was Diawa SK jigs which are sold out everywhere - watched it get bit well at night and it is not a glow in dark

daytime - sinker rig worked well all day. Towards the late afternoon, silver and silver blue small chrome jigs worked well ( salax 6x) and got biggest fish at 180 lb

Staying up so much did take a toll on me. Pick bite for us. Only a few small 40 lb fish - most were 100 120 with some up to 180.

No flyline fish.

M
MNFLSDLV
Wow, that sounds amazing, I am going to stock up on chocolate covered espresso beans!
Upvote 0

palella09

Almost A Member
Jul 2, 2015
Name
Tony
Boat
12' Scrambler XT
Sleep in the bunk and wake up around midnight. Fish hard all day and sleep in the galley while the boat is searching.

Bft fishing is all about putting time in at the rail.

Reactions: Fincutter
Upvote 0

Tymeflyme

Almost A Member
Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
On a 1.5 day trip you better be ready to fish when ever the boat stops. The captain should keep you informed of the depth of fish. I was on a 3 day over the Memorial weekend and we left about 11:00 am and we were fishing by 6:00 pm. We stopped on multiple schools and fished 8 oz sinker rigs with 3/0 mutu on 65 & 80 mono with 5 ft fluorocarbon leaders. The jig fishing was mostly at night but produced during the day.

Reactions: matt fe2o3
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
On a 1.5 day trip you better be ready to fish when ever the boat stops. The captain should keep you informed of the depth of fish. I was on a 3 day over the Memorial weekend and we left about 11:00 am and we were fishing by 6:00 pm. We stopped on multiple schools and fished 8 oz sinker rigs with 3/0 mutu on 65 & 80 mono with 5 ft fluorocarbon leaders. The jig fishing was mostly at night but produced during the day.
Please don't tell me you deep-fry your bluefin tuna like everything else, Vince! LOL

Upvote 0

Tymeflyme

Almost A Member
Feb 14, 2012
Albuquerque
Name
Vince
Boat
Isabel
I do, but we made some fresh sushi and smoked some on a pellet smoker and it was really good. I'm making a batch for some tuna sandwiches. I have some Bluefin for you nick, just let me know. The Bluefin fishing is a grind but we'll worth the effort to pull on those freight trains. Planning to do a three day trip every year targeting the Bluefin and continue on the fall 8 days which is a lot more relaxed for sure.

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
I smoke a bunch myself, and still have BF I'm hoping to eat/share/smoke before my 10-day in November - appreciate the offer! If it's like last year, we'll hit them for a day or two then head south. Or vice versa. Though that 2-day run south after fishing 24+ hours in a row for BF is the best 2-day vacation ever! Maybe we can hook up on a BF trip next year brother.

Upvote 0