1.5-3 Day Trip - How to plan around weather forecasts?

PENN

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat
Hobie outback
I would love to jump on a 1.5 day or 3 day trip; however, it’s an 8 hour drive to SD for me so I am trying to look at the forecasts (windy/tempbreak) to pick the best window of opportunity.

Weather is highly dynamic and forecasts don’t always pan out, but what conditions are you guys looking for and what (wind,wave,swell) conditions would keep you from going out?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jiggermyster

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
The higher the swell duration is, the better. 5-8 seconds not good. 13-18 seconds good.

Upvote 0

Koyote

Hooked
Oct 18, 2018
Menifee
Name
Z.
Boat
Yours
I use to stress out trying to time my trips around weather and the bite now I just go when I can and book as early as I possibly can because even with all the best conditions it might be just a sunset cruise if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
You can book early and hope for the best, or you can book at the last minute during a hot bite and good weather window. It sure helps if you're retired and flexible. I live 500 miles away from San Diego and I only fish 1.5 day trips.

Reactions: kevina
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I would love to jump on a 1.5 day or 3 day trip; however, it’s an 8 hour drive to SD for me so I am trying to look at the forecasts (windy/tempbreak) to pick the best window of opportunity.

Weather is highly dynamic and forecasts don’t always pan out, but what conditions are you guys looking for and what (wind,wave,swell) conditions would keep you from going out?

Thanks in advance!
The big problem is Mother Nature is unpredictable.

Reactions: winningman
Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I've given up trying to book based on weather I just book ahead and hope foe the best. On a side note some of the best fishing has been in nasty weather less boat traffic I suppose.