1/2 - Yak hooping with the Sherminator

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Spyder, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Spyder

Spyder There Can Be Only One....

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    COBRA FISH & DIVE
    Was at the lake near my house getting ready to run a few miles when I happened to look at my phone and saw that Sherm had called and left a message. Called him back, he was heading down to do some bug hunting. I said f#%k it and bailed on the run and went home, loaded up the van, and hauled ass down to the launch:hali_ruahahaha:.

Launched my yak right at 4:00 and after a loooooooong paddle met up with Scott. Set my nets, enjoyed the sunset, and did some feeshin while waiting. First pull was all shorts, second pull I had my 1st keeper of the new year.

After about an hour a tin can full of guys showed up and took over about a half mile of area :rolleyes:. Although they were cool enough to give Sherm & I our space, they unfortunatley brought the dogs with them. Freaking dogs were WAY aggresive last night. A few I was able to keep at bay with my paintball gun :2gunsfiring_v1: but a couple just came right up under & along side my yak and didn't seem to care about anything but getting at my bait. Nothing worse than feeling your yak getting bumped while out at night.

After a couple hours the dogs finally let up and we found the crawl :D. A few more pulls and we both had several more keepers along with a couple big rock crabs.

Called it a night around 10:00 and started that looong paddle in only this time we had the tide at our backs.

Total for me was 4 keeper bugs and 2 rock crabs. I think Scott had 5 keeper bugs. A good night out overall, decent weather, moving tide, good company, and bugs & crabs for dinner tonight :drool:.

Sherm has some pics I'm sure he will post tomorrow. Mine are of my haul and a pic of a hitchhiker I discovered in my yak this morning, some species of shrimp.

Good to be back out on the water with ya bro...:cheers:

Peace,

Spyder

Attached Files:

2. dawg418

dawg418 Newbie

Name:
    AB
    Boat:
    21' cutty cabin
    They look good! Yum!

3. reelfishy

reelfishy Hates Sea Lions

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Ocean Kayak P15
    Good work Jim & Sherm!

Those dogs are a big pain in the ass.

4. skipjack

skipjack Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    skip
    Boat:
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Good job geeting 4 legals.
    I think the small one is called a slipper lobster.

5. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
  6. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    i have been getting lots of those little guys the shrimp that is
    there tasty too

7. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    The wingmen back in the saddle! Nice job Jim.

8. Steel Leader

Steel Leader Liquid Therapy

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    27' seastar flybridge diesel
    cool Jim, sounds like you need to start freezing those paintballs and modifying the gun output, I got my old paintball gun to shoot 500fps, thing sounded like a fugging cannon.

the little thing looks like those el nino crabs that float in hoards offshore.

happy new year neighbor, sorry about your giantsLOL

9. jfresh2316

jfresh2316 Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    kayak
    hey bro were were u at. we have been going in newport harbour with no luck

10. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak
    Hey Jim.............about time you answered your damn phone and got out on the water. It was nice to have the wingman with me again. It had been way too long.

The hoopin was pretty good once the sea lions left. Pains in the ass that's for sure. The guys in the boat were ok about giving us our room but they kept the dogs around that's for sure. I think the dogs key on the boats more than the yaks. So far!!!!!

The interesting part of my night was when I brought a VERY LARGE octopous up in my hoop. I thought eel at first until I turned on my head lamp. This boy was big.:eek: I was pulling up the hoop right after I saw a sea lion dissapear towards my net. :cussing:Half way up the hoop starts jerking hard and I thought I had started the tug of war with the sea lion. I got he hoop to the side of the yak and it got stuck underneath me. I have never got a hoop stuck to the bottom of the yak, Something was strange with this pull. I pulled as hard as I could and the hoop came loose. I plopped the net down between my legs and turned on the light. A big octopuss was in the hoop. This things head was the size of a basketball :eek2: and it's arms were like the handle of a base ball bat. I reached for my camera and that's when it started sucking itself to my leg. The beak of this thing was getting closer to the important part of my anatomy so I decided against the pictures and for self preservation. Having pics of the creature so nobody cries bullshit on Bloodydecks was not worth my cajones.

The night ended up ok with 5 legals. Nothing of size.....just keepers.

A good stoagie and finally getting back on the water with the wingman made for a very nice evening.

Attached Files:

11. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    You guys have way to much fun on those Yaks. Congrats on the catching...

12. Sherm

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak

My thoughts exactly.

13. Spyder

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    COBRA FISH & DIVE

We hoop here in SD. Bring down your yak and join us sometime. Hope you don't mind about a 6 mile round trip paddle....:rolleyes:

14. Sherm

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak
    6 miles both ways, against the tide both ways and in the snow. That's how we used to do it in my day.LOL

15. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Cool report! Next time, get the pic Sherm! You'll be fine...Trust me...LOL

16. bugman

bugman Member

Name:
    bob sciacqua
    Boat:
    15' gregor baja , 17' Boston Whaler "Bella Serra"
    don't forget about all those small craft advisories Both ways!!! Hey Sherm, is your" Wing Man" the Giants Fan? Keep an eye on him ,he may be suicidal after yesterday's game. Oh yeah, nice catch for you both. Bugman

17. Spyder

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    COBRA FISH & DIVE
    Yes I am a Giants fan and although the game against the Viks was terrible I am not thinking of offing myself just yet:zelfmoord. I've been through the tough years and good years with my team, next year will be better. :cool: