1/17/2021 Sculpin fishing, Dana Point, San Onofre, San Mateo Point

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    We launched from Dana Point 1/17/2021 at approximately 0800. Weather was very warm and sunny - forecast was 75, water temp was 58 deg, water was near glassy with swells predicted at 1-2 feet at 14 seconds, little wind. Headed south to Box Canyon south of the Domes in roughly 240 feet of water - we used 5/0 gamakatsu circle hooks, 4.5 inch swimbaits and squid strip where there was strong signal on the bottom. After half an hour of nothing, I put a squid strip on a 2/0 hook and got a short rockfish. Descended it. Moved further south and found nothing. Moved back north to about 130 feet just off the domes, bait fish were jumping the surface everywhere - small mackerel. We hooked up to two barred bass, 16 inches and 19 inches at about 1130. They bit using the squid head/tentacles bait jigging the bottom. My 10 year old son hooked both and pulled them in himself with me netting them for him.

We moved north, finally found a sculpin spot. Off San Mateo Point/Trestles Beach at about 140 feet depth. They were hitting everything and anything, 4.5 inch swim bait in red/black and yellow/blue as well as the glow in the dark 4 inch swim baits - all on 5/0 hooks. We used squid strip and shrimp pieces as well but honestly, bait or no bait they were hooking up on lures. We had many many short ones we returned but caught eight fish that were about 11 inches - longest one was 11.5 inches. I saw approximately 5 boats and 1 party boat just north of us, they seemed staked out so hopefully everyone was as fortunate as we were.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and sane. I was able to get my mother her vaccine at the Disneyland site. Process was very very smooth, most people were positive and not complaining. Bring a hat or an umbrella, if you come super super early like we did, the line is in an unshaded area. We did NOT have to go as early as we did and the lines moved very fast at the time slot we were given on our appointment. I gave my mom a benadryl before her vaccine and gave her tylenol afterwards. She had body aches for about 8 hours after the Moderna vaccine but then was normal afterwards. I'm glad I went with her, we had to use the Othena app and had to keep changing from the appointment screen to the QR code which would have confused her. Good luck folks.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    We launched from Dana Point 1/17/2021 at approximately 0800. Weather was very warm and sunny - forecast was 75, water temp was 58 deg, water was near glassy with swells predicted at 1-2 feet at 14 seconds, little wind. Headed south to Box Canyon south of the Domes in roughly 240 feet of water - we used 5/0 gamakatsu circle hooks, 4.5 inch swimbaits and squid strip where there was strong signal on the bottom. After half an hour of nothing, I put a squid strip on a 2/0 hook and got a short rockfish. Descended it. Moved further south and found nothing. Moved back north to about 130 feet just off the domes, bait fish were jumping the surface everywhere - small mackerel. We hooked up to two barred bass, 16 inches and 19 inches at about 1130. They bit using the squid head/tentacles bait jigging the bottom. My 10 year old son hooked both and pulled them in himself with me netting them for him.

We moved north, finally found a sculpin spot. Off San Mateo Point/Trestles Beach at about 140 feet depth. They were hitting everything and anything, 4.5 inch swim bait in red/black and yellow/blue as well as the glow in the dark 4 inch swim baits - all on 5/0 hooks. We used squid strip and shrimp pieces as well but honestly, bait or no bait they were hooking up on lures. We had many many short ones we returned but caught eight fish that were about 11 inches - longest one was 11.5 inches. I saw approximately 5 boats and 1 party boat just north of us, they seemed staked out so hopefully everyone was as fortunate as we were.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and sane. I was able to get my mother her vaccine at the Disneyland site. Process was very very smooth, most people were positive and not complaining. Bring a hat or an umbrella, if you come super super early like we did, the line is in an unshaded area. We did NOT have to go as early as we did and the lines moved very fast at the time slot we were given on our appointment. I gave my mom a benadryl before her vaccine and gave her tylenol afterwards. She had body aches for about 8 hours after the Moderna vaccine but then was normal afterwards. I'm glad I went with her, we had to use the Othena app and had to keep changing from the appointment screen to the QR code which would have confused her. Good luck folks.

Thank you for the vaccine update. My parents are in their 70's both with type 1 diabetes and I've been trying to get them signed up since the sites went live but have yet to be succesful. The site crashers or we can't get on. Glad to hear the process at Disney was smooth!

Upvote 0