bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
1/12/17 MDR Fishing:

Headed out Sunday Morning just to get a little time on the water. Decided to mix it up a little and head up to MDR and see what i can muster up for the Kid to be able catch so he break in his new Rod and reel set up.. Started with Bass on a reef. Caught a few shorts there, but larger models didnt want to play. so it was time to start jumping rock pile to rock pile. One of my favorite rock piles had a lot more Trigger fish on it than i have ever seen before. Caught and released a few and then decided to head out and look for a Halibut. Plan came together nicely until the point where Kid hooks up into a fish that felt like a big halibut ( could have been a ray of course, but sure fought like a Butt.) and then the hook pulls after a couple minute battle. Kids was completely dejected after this loss. fished til around 12:00 and decided to head home. Mixed bag, nice weather.
20170101_095247.jpg

Water was beautiful
Water Temp=57
Air temp= Cold in morning, nice by 10am
Wind= less than 3mph
no crowds
water was murky from past rain.
Fished fresh whole Dead and cut squid and of course Swim baits...

Fish caught for the day:
Small bass
Few stray sheep head
Few stray white fish
Trigger fish
something large hooked and released
All Fish released to fight another day.....

Overall nice way to start the new year,,,,

Fish Hard!!!!!!!!
Chris

Upvote 0

PUDDLER

John
Apr 6, 2007
sf valley
Name
JOHN
Boat
235 Triumph "High Spot"
Can you keep triggers during the rockfish closure? I know you said you released yours but a question out of curiosity. Nice work putting your kid on fish!!

Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Never kept a Trigger so i have never looked into it....is there even DFG rules for catching non indigenous fish????? Some one else would need to speak up on this..

Reactions: PUDDLER
Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
Southern ca
Name
chris
Boat
always upgrading
Just wondering where you got the fresh squid?

Well i guess it wasn't fresh dead, it was previous frozen. sorry just im used to saying fresh dead since it was fresh when i froze it.......Lets put it this way, it was still safe for human consumption if you wanted to eat it.. Does that make it Fresh??

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Never kept a Trigger so i have never looked into it....is there even DFG rules for catching non indigenous fish????? Some one else would need to speak up on this..

For any fish not specifically listed in the regs, the limit is 10 per day of any size with no closed seasons. Triggerfish fall into that category. And they're freakin DELICIOUS too!

Upvote 0

myguyver

Feb 15, 2011
FLAGSTAFF ARIZONA
Name
LARRY
Boat
BUZZ
That is the beauty of this site. Informed participants with an honest desire to help spread the word on rules and regs to keep it legal and help keep it sustainable! Glad to be a member. All ready for the coming year.

Reactions: YODA00
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
As someone mentioned Chris the Triggerfish is great table fare, might want to put a governor on it ~suggestion~.

My guess would be Angel Shark, fights just like a big female Halibut right up until the time you finally see it and yell [email protected]^#(#[email protected](^!#@(~(@^@!*!~*^(~!!(~279ww`1^*(!Ww^*(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job getting Logan? out ON THE WATER!

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Trigger fish is GREAT eating and fantastic for making ceviche. They are considered a non native species and can be kept during the rockfish closed period according to my conversation with DFG when I was boarded by them January 5, 2016
    Brad

Upvote 0

jscrib

Whale Cock
    Apr 29, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Name
    j
    Boat
    VS
    Nice job on the SMB Tuna! Been lucky enough to catch some monsters myself over the years out there with Vince. They pull hard that's for sure. Especially on 12-15lb line. :hali_olutta:

j

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    If the hook pulled, had to be a hali. Am I right? Hooks always set good in batrays and snarks? Well, my experience anyways.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Reactions: sea4reel
    Upvote 0

bitesomthing

Jul 13, 2003
    Southern ca
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    always upgrading
    If the hook pulled, had to be a hali. Am I right? Hooks always set good in batrays and snarks? Well, my experience anyways.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Of course it was. We all know we never lose the unwanted fish we hook...lol

Upvote 0